PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• princess_leia_3
    Options
    Quick question if I may? I am just doing my roast and I have made a whole packet of Asda value stuffing realising that this will be far too much for us :rolleyes: So does anyone know if I can freeze it in balls and whether you would cook in the oven first or just freeze before you cook it?

Thanks
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I got some of the Hovis bread mixes at Asda yesterday, they were rolled back to 27p

Jackie x
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick question if I may? I am just doing my roast and I have made a whole packet of Asda value stuffing realising that this will be far too much for us :rolleyes: So does anyone know if I can freeze it in balls and whether you would cook in the oven first or just freeze before you cook it?

Thanks

I do this quite often - cook all the stuffing balls and then freeze them in a bag.

When you're doing the next roast, just defrost them and bung em in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm through and they stay crunchy - or if you want them more soggy heat them in the microwave ;)

I often forget to do the stuffing until I'm about to carve the chicken so this saves that one too :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Just updated my signature. Spent £3.01 on kitchen roll and a box of cereal. Having meat balls & pasta tonight. £6.63 left until end of next week.:eek:

I have 2 of the Kelloggs free swim tokens from the cereal if anyone would like them just pm me.
    Have a great evening.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Thanks Newlywed, its something I forget to buy too, so having a stash in the freezer is very appealing ;)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Still plodding along nicely. Tell you one thing. Since I have been shopping around I have found Mr M's own brand bread is really good. 72p a loaf but beats paying £1.22 for top brands. It is really soft and , i think , the best of the supermarket own labels.

ym
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    :o
    large box (3kg) and Daisy soap powder (this was £2.99, Ariel was £9.98 for same size - thought I would try it as I add washing soda anyway - anyone else tried it?)

Someone was talking about this earlier in the thread but i cant remember who:o They really liked it.

What are the hovis breadmixes like? I picked one up in Mr T and the ingredients looked a little scary so i put it back:rolleyes: I'm trying to cut out any junk from our diet as we really need to:o
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    :o

Someone was talking about this earlier in the thread but i cant remember who:o They really liked it.

What are the hovis breadmixes like? I picked one up in Mr T and the ingredients looked a little scary so i put it back:rolleyes: I'm trying to cut out any junk from our diet as we really need to:o

Thanks G&B, well, I've got it now so hopefully it's as good as they say - massive saving...

Glad your LO enjoyed school (just been on Flylady...) - I love seeing them dressed up when they first go in - they look so grown up, it's lovely but sad at the same time - remember mine going to 'big' school - they were soooo cute in their uniforms and I took their photo, chests out, big grins, ooooh, lovely memories...:D :D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya guys, ended going out to get mr's hair cut, but spent money in mr m's instead as the barber had closed and gone to the carnival,(how very dare he:rotfl: :rotfl: )
    mr wanted to go to mr m's as we were out and have a cuppa like we usually do on a wednesday, so off we went and ended up spending £13.05 as we only have one budget, everything has to come out of it:mad:

Drinks in cafe:beer:

reduced quiche 26p
    2x special muffins @50p
    2x value baked beans@20p
    2x special bacon @50p
    own brand mushrooms @75p for 250grms so cheaper than specials
    special eggs @50p
    sugar @48p (for guests)
    2x value yogurts @29p
    Bananas @44p
    grapes @£1.49
    reduced cornbeef @59p
    sandwich spread @99 (no good reason for buying this except I wanted it:o )

Then mr insisted on buying lotto tickets :eek: but as he does this rarely, why not!;)

So that was our wednesday oopps but we did get lots of bargains:T

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    jackk wrote: »
    I got some of the Hovis bread mixes at Asda yesterday, they were rolled back to 27p

MrA: granary mix 27p white mix 29p
    MrT: granary mix 34p white mix 29p
    I expect MrT will lower their price to match MrA's :D

ETA Be careful if you get them from MrA's though cos the hovis mixes are 2 for £1 so check they go through right at the till otherwise you will be over charged. (or maybe that will be a R&R or DTD if they do that? :confused: )

I think they have pretty much the same ingredients in as shop bought bread so, if you dont buy that, you're probably better off sticking to HM.

Hovis White Bread Mix Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Salt, Dried Yeast, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sorbitan Monostearate, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Lactic Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Improving Agent (Calcium Sulphate), Dextrose, Flour Treatment Agents (Alpha Amylase, Ascorbic Acid)
    Hovis Granary Bread Mix Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Malted Wheat flakes (16%), Wheat Bran, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dried Yeast, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sorbitan Monostearate, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Lactic Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Improving Agent (Calcium Sulphate), Dextrose, Flour Treatment Agents (Alpha Amylase, Ascorbic Acid)

Whatever that all means :confused:

Bread is the only thing I buy that has a long list of ingredients like this as I normally avoid anything with ingredients in IYSWIM. I'll have a BM soon though (fingers crossed - mums visiting at the weekend and she bought me an icecream maker for my birthday in May but she had already got me one :rolleyes: so she took it back and said she'd swap it for a BM for me) so I'll be able to stop buying shop bought bread soon :j
    special eggs @50p

There's nothing special about MrM's 4 eggs for 50p (12.5p/egg) IMO as you can get 15 yummy Free Range eggs at MrT for £2 :money: (13.3p/egg) or even 15 value eggs for £1.50 _pale_ (10p/egg)

Nikki x
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family