Enhanced DBS Check

Hi,

This has been dragged out for far too long, I understand there is this 60 day malarkey. Anyhow today enough was enough, I called 101 to chase things up. I received an intention to offer email from an employer regarding some bank (cover work). Back in November 2017, but I can't be given a firm start date until this is all cleared up.

So the joys of awaiting this DBS check.

Stage 1 (Application Form received and validated): Completed on 10 Nov 2017
Stage 2
(Police National Computer searched): Completed on 14 Nov 2017
Stage 3
(DBS Children, DBS Adults and List 99 searched, where applicable): Completed on 15 Nov 2017
Stage 4
(Records held by the Police search): Completed on 02 Jan 2018
Stage 5
(Certificate Printed): In Progress

Giving 101 a call today seems to have moved things along (however the woman in the personnel checks dept seemed uninterested and just general mumbling, first day back and all that, stating they'd only received instruction for stage 4 on December 22 2017 despite stage 3 completed on November 15 2017, I don't think I really believe this, she took my phone number and said i'd receive a call back with an update, btu so far nothing). Anyhow from what I can gather someone has not bothered to press print to progress stage 5 to completed?

How much longer am I going to wait? I don't want the employer re-advertising the job or not even getting a chance due to length of time taken for the check...

Thanks.

Comments

• Gosh at this point I think I'd have given up, I remember last January a call to a Council agency (better not use their swear word nick name) who on the Monday claimed they had barely started their checks, by Friday of same week, then turned it on us and started demanding we start work far earlier and the very next workable day so be careful what you wish for ! Hopefully they will get more short staffed as one of the industries wanting January holiday after working Xmas so here's hoping they'll get a wiggle on for ya. ;)

Though I remember going for a care home job on 30th November 2017 who prided themselves on a 48 hour response and it still kind of tickles me I'm still waiting for an answer! from an alleged industry that struggles to recruit. I imagine, bless them, that they maybe still are trying to get hold of references they wanted for me!! LOL!
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Stage 4 always takes the longest.

The checks are done locally by each force your application would of been sent to and they are manual checks carried out by people looking through computerised records and paper files. Your application would of been sent to all forces covered by all the addresses you listed so if you have a long address history on your application it could take months.
  • Jonners85
    Jonners85 Posts: 121 Forumite
    I have only lived in the one Town my whole life, over 2 addresses. So it surely should have been completed much sooner.

Anyway as of this morning the Certificate has been dispatched.

Would it be wise to sign up to the auto update service?

Thanks again.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Jonners85 wrote: »
    I have only lived in the one Town my whole life, over 2 addresses. So it surely should have been completed much sooner.

Anyway as of this morning the Certificate has been dispatched.

Would it be wise to sign up to the auto update service?

Thanks again.

Then you either live in an area covered by a very busy police force or they are just crap (some are a lot better than others and have dedicated teams, some its done whenever anyone is free).

Only if you will be moving jobs frequently (or are a volunteer so its free) but in the same sector. Also i believe that a prospective employer can still insist on a new certificate anyway so not all prospective employers will use the update service.
  • Jonners85
    edited 3 January 2018 at 6:38PM
    Well this is the first time I've really required a DBS check, I'm just going in to uncontracted work (as and when required/when I am available etc). - It could lead to permanent work but that is just down the line...and I am going to have to juggle my permanent job with this one that required the DBS check.

For the sake of £13 I just don't know. But if I do pay it, will it speed up the process of the DBS check when a renewal is required in 3 years? I don't want to be waiting 4-6 weeks for the next one to process.
  • My son recently had his first enhanced DBS and it took around six weeks - the first three stages completed within one day. The fourth stage took ages. He is only just 18, and has always lived at this address.

On the other hand, my latest DBS was completed really quickly. It was online, and submitted at 1.15 on a Thursday lunchtime earlier this year. By 9.03am the next day, my commissioner had received confirmation that it was clear, and my certificate was on it's way.

My son's was paper based, whereas mine was online. I have had previous checks though, and all have been clear.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January 2018 at 8:19PM
    Be aware that the Update Service requires an annual fee, it's not a one off or for a longer period, and the year runs from the date the Certificate is dated.

Also be aware that it will be of use to a future prospective employer if your Certificate covers all the elements they need to check. So if you had a check which involved checking that you were not barred from working with vulnerable adults but you wanted later to work in a school, it would still require a new check because the Children's List would not have been checked.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For the sake of £13 I just don't know. But if I do pay it, will it speed up the process of the DBS check when a renewal is required in 3 years? I don't want to be waiting 4-6 weeks for the next one to process.
    If you are still with the same employer, it will certainly be helpful for them, because they won't have to go through the whole rigmarole of getting you to register and complete the application, then check your ID, then fill in some more stuff themselves to indicated the level of checking required, and so on.

I'd ask if they will pay for the update service - we certainly reimburse our staff, but they are contracted jobs not zero hours. Also NB below:
    Be aware that the Update Service requires an annual fee, it's not a one off or for a longer period, and the year runs from the date the Certificate is dated.

Also be aware that it will be of use to a future prospective employer if your Certificate covers all the elements they need to check. So if you had a check which involved checking that you were not barred from working with vulnerable adults but you wanted later to work in a school, it would still require a new check because the Children's List would not have been checked.
    So like I said, very useful to the current employer, potentially useful to a new one but not necessarily.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Jonners85
    I don't know how long I'd be working at the current employer for as there is no contract offered as such, it is just ad-hoc, but I'd suspect ongoing for a regular basis, providing things go well. Perhaps more just more relief work so the other guys can have time off/holidays etc.

I enquire what the employer recommends or what they can offer, re update service.

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't know how long I'd be working at the current employer for as there is no contract offered as such, it is just ad-hoc, but I'd suspect ongoing for a regular basis, providing things go well. Perhaps more just more relief work so the other guys can have time off/holidays etc.

I enquire what the employer recommends or what they can offer, re update service.

Did this employer ask you to pay for the DBS check or did they bear the cost themselves?

It may very well be the case that, particularly if you don't move house, another check would be completed more quickly than the first one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure