Hong Kong, Dubai or Bangkok

Hi all,
We are planning a trip to Australia in April/May 2019.
We have the chance of a two night stopover in Hong Kong, Dubai or Bangkok on the way back . Any thoughts on which would be the best option?
Oh and there is a stopover in Singapore on the way there if that makes any difference?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    That is a tricky one. All have a lot going for them, sightseeing, cultural experiences, shopping and nightlife etc.

Have you been to any of the cities before? Are you paying for the accommodation on the stopover or is that paid by the airline? What time do the scheduled flights arrive into each city, which would you get more time to explore and enjoy the city?

I have visited all three, albeit fleetingly in Dubai but recently had nearly a full days stop over in HKG and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I would like to have a longer stay there.

If all the factors are the same, my choice would be Bangkok.

One thing to consider is the flight times back home, BKK to UK is about 11.5hours, Dubai to UK about 7 whilst HKG to UK was approx. 13 which depending what class you are travelling i.e. economy that was a long flight IMO.

Decisions decisions.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Redmikee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We have the chance of a two night stopover in Hong Kong, Dubai or Bangkok on the way back . Any thoughts on which would be the best option?
    Oh and there is a stopover in Singapore on the way there if that makes any difference?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I can comment on Dubai, having recently returned from there. If you do choose Dubai, I can recommend the Le Meridien Dubai hotel & conference centre on Airport Road.

It will cost you around 30 dirhams (approx £7) in a taxi and the journey is 10 minutes. It would be a lot quicker but the traffic queues are bad.

Ask for a room in the refurbished area and as you'll notice by the new carpet smell........the rooms are brand new and lovely.

Breakfast is excellent, it's serve yourself buffet and includes bacon and pork sausages.

On arrival, ask the concierge for the timetable for the free shopper bus. It takes you to the nearby City Centre Deira shopping mall. It's worth a visit, if only for the Carrefour Hypermarket. It has a wide range of fresh food and lots of UK brands you might want. Just be sure to keep an eye on the time so you don't miss the free bus back to the hotel.

If you prefer a budget hotel in Dubai, there's a Premier Inn near the airport which is also on the free shopper bus route.

Anyway, have a look at google maps to see the proximity of the Le Meridien hotel and shopping mall and airport in Dubai.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We are going to Oz in a few weeks time and are stopping off at Hong Kong on the way out and Singapore on the way back.

Dubai is only about 7 hours out from the UK but is an option if you are going to Perth. We are going to Sydney so Hong Kong gets you closer to a mid way distance.

If you don't intend to go out to Australia or New Zealand again then it's probably better to go for Hong Kong. There are more opportunities to go to Dubai for a short break at some point in the future whereas Hong Kong is just too far to go for such a break.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Redmikee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Mike

I would opt for Dubai purely because you get the longest flight over first, have a couple of nights to get over that and used to the time difference and then only plus 4 hours when you get back to UK.

In addition to the hotels mentioned above, there are also a Novotel and an Ibis adjacent to Deira City Centre Mall, with bus station and Metro station close by and all a short walk away.
  • Redmikee
    Redmikee Posts: 179 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.
    The hotels are chosen by the tour company we are considering and are:-
    Dubai Marriott Al Jaddaf
    Bangkok Amari Watergate Hotel
    Hong Kong Regal Kowloon.
    Stevie, not sure about the timings into the cities but it could be an important factor we need to ask about.
    Good points about Dubai being nearer home for the final leg of the journey particularly as most of my days off from work will be used and I will probably be back at work next day.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hong Kong for me.
    No question.

I don't see the point of making the choice based on flight times.

Oh and HK and Singapore are quite different imo.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Id also choose hong kong 1st , Dubai would be second choice bangkok last.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, Hong Kong everytime - it's nothing like Singapore. I would stay on the HK side rather than Kowloon.
  • harz99
    Forgot the Singapore stop on outward jny...

Depends where in Australia you are heading for. If Perth, again I'd say break in Singapore if you have time as that will get the long flight out of the way first, if Sydney not so much as the difference in flying time will not be so great due to the extra distance.
  • harz99
    parcival wrote: »
    Yes, Hong Kong everytime - it's nothing like Singapore. I would stay on the HK side rather than Kowloon.

I don't think the OP has that option from an earlier post in which they name specific hotels....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure