PayPal lied to me!!!

I need some advice...

Long story short. I purchased something online using PayPal to pay. I realised I needed to cancel the order but when I contacted the vendor I got an automated response and no follow up. I noticed the payment was still pending in my PayPal account and so I phoned PayPal and the rep told me she had cancelled the payment.

Today I received an email saying the item had been shipped and so I checked my PayPal account to find the payment had gone through. I phoned PayPal and the rep told me the last person had lied to me and that they would not have been able to cancel it. They even suggested that the last rep just wanted an easy life so said they cancelled it to get me off the phone.

I have submitted a complaint to PayPal and requested transcripts of the phone calls.

Had anybody got any advice? Are companies allowed to just lie to you? Should I just suck it up and let this go?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How long after you ordered did you cancel.
  • newbie83 wrote: »
    I need some advice...

Long story short. I purchased something online using PayPal to pay. I realised I needed to cancel the order but when I contacted the vendor I got an automated response and no follow up. I noticed the payment was still pending in my PayPal account and so I phoned PayPal and the rep told me she had cancelled the payment.

Today I received an email saying the item had been shipped and so I checked my PayPal account to find the payment had gone through. I phoned PayPal and the rep told me the last person had lied to me and that they would not have been able to cancel it. They even suggested that the last rep just wanted an easy life so said they cancelled it to get me off the phone.

I have submitted a complaint to PayPal and requested transcripts of the phone calls.

Had anybody got any advice? Are companies allowed to just lie to you? Should I just suck it up and let this go?

What are you hoping to achieve with the complaint?
  • What are you hoping to achieve with the complaint?

Losing their Paypal account.

OP assuming you bought in the UK just return the item.

What do paypals T&Cs say about pending payments?
  • Is it also possible that you misunderstood the agent? Or that the agent made a mistake?

If so, you cannot be sure that you were lied to.

I'm not sure why a customer service rep would want to lie to you anyway. They aren't doing the job for laughs and giggles.

It is not worth getting on a high horse about things like this.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies!

I cancelled the next day - about 12 hours later.

I bought the item from the US so I would have to pay to return it and I wouldn't get refunded the shipping and duty costs (which was about £70.) At this point I will probably keep the item - maybe sell it on.

I was definitely told it was cancelled and the second rep I spoke to said the first rep had 'lied to me'. It didn't feel like she was lying, I really think she thought she had cancelled it for me?!

The second rep said he would investigate what had happened but when I asked him to keep me updated he said it was just an internal PayPal thing and so that wouldn't happen.

I guess I would just like an apology from PayPal. I am not expecting too much to happen and I have calmed down a bit. I'll probably use PayPal less than I used to, but sometimes it's the best option and I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face!

Thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport