Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Natwest don't offer 0% deals to anyone.
  • MartinLewisFan
    Options
    Hey folks,

Thank you once again for your input:

Candyapple - I've been told by BarclayCard to standby for first week in every month for offers - I've had my card with them for the best part of a decade - always settling balance in full. Once or twice they did offer 0% deals if I recall. But not for a while. Here's something, they've recently increased my limit as did Amex.

Anthorn - Thank you for the excellent pointer - this looks like the way to go - out with the old (or substantially lower limits - 3 cards with £85k is absurd if there's no motivation to use them to spread out a balance).

The newest card I have is 7 years old. The oldest... my goodness, probably nearer 20 yes - 20 years next month! wow. time does fly.

You're right about the credit-report filter, so I'm willing to wait.

enthusiasticsaver - I did ring them, natwest offered 6.9% (not bad all things considered), AMEX increased the cash-back offer on the basis that I've been with them for a long time. Barclaycard just said standby for every week of the month for new deals... Hmm.

camelot1971 - you are correct. 6.9% is their best deal.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    You could try another strategy.. phone Barclaycard and say you want to close your account, when they ask for the reason say you need a 0% deal, that could prompt them to offer you a new deal! :D

If they do not offer you a good deal to keep you as a customer, you don't have to proceed with the closure if you don't want to... just back out at the last minute.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you logged on to your Barclaycard account and clicked on the 'Transfers and Offers' tab?

Despite having a worse credit file than you due to lots of stoozing I still get 0% BT offers each month so I'd be surprised if you don't have any current offers?
  • MartinLewisFan
    Options
    cjv - I might just do that, I reckon that's the way to go!

Superscrooge - another great alias! :-)

It really is bizarre, and short of posting a screen grab, it's weird when the barclaycard agent on the phone says "I've been running the application perfectly, and settle balances".

This is how I plan to proceed:

1. Speak to the card companies about offers / discuss taking my custom elsewhere. If they don't value my custom, then

2. lower balances (perhaps half them? that way, the credit history will remain and there's still a good base ratio demonstrating trust).

3. Apply for new and better deals, checking the eligibility tool first of course :-)

the over-all limits may change slightly up or down, but a decent zero percent deal will spread the costs well.

Thank you all for your outstanding input - I'm new to this forum but I love it!
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options

It really is bizarre, and short of posting a screen grab, it's weird when the barclaycard agent on the phone says "I've been running the application perfectly, and settle balances".

But have you yourself actually logged into your online Barclaycard account and clicked on the 'Transfers and Offers' tab?

Any offers you have will be showing there. I've had one of my Barclaycards for over 15 years and still get offers so don't see why you should be any different.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • MartinLewisFan
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    But have you yourself actually logged into your online Barclaycard account and clicked on the 'Transfers and Offers' tab?

Any offers you have will be showing there. I've had one of my Barclaycards for over 15 years and still get offers so don't see why you should be any different.

Hi Candyapple,

Indeed I have - just now...

"Sorry, there are currently on offers available for your account"

Get this - I'm actually in credit! yep, I've over paid :rotfl:

Bring back Bob Diamond, all is forgiven :wink:
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    It could be where your account is in credit, that their system isn't generating offers for you. Spend the credit and then bring your balance back to 0. I haven't spent on my Barclaycard since 2016 and I still get regular balance transfer and money transfer offers.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure