British Gas robbing me blind?

cfcboy97
cfcboy97 Posts: 22 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi all, wonder if you could help me in determining if BG is in the wrong here:

As of two months ago i was on a BG standard yearly price plan. I was paying £90 per month.
I decided to check my bank account last month and noticed BG had upped the bill to £215 without contacting me via letter, mail or calls. I thought it was a mistake so gave them a call. To my horror they concluded that my new bill was in fact £215, an extra £1500 PER YEAR!!! They couldnt even give me an adequate reason why! Ive not changed anything at all, we are doing the same as we have been doing over the last 3 years, infact we probably been using less leccy. We always give meter readings where asked so im totally dumbfounded as to the massive change. I didnt even sign up for an extra year, they just went ahead and changed it !

So i decided enough was enough, im leaving. I went through all the correct channels and found a supplier for £90 per month, great i thought, will have to take the 2 months of £215 from BG on the chin and move on... i just want shot of them.
But more daylight robbery! Today they have sent me a letter saying i owe them a further £546!!
Ive paid up to October and the switch has happened, i didnt sign anything for a new 12 month contract...

I dont know where to go with this, i fell that BG have robbed us blind and there isnt a lot i can do about it ! :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 12:48PM
    cfcboy97 wrote: »
    Hi all, wonder if you could help me in determining if BG is in the wrong here:

As of two months ago i was on a BG standard yearly price plan. I was paying £90 per month.
    I decided to check my bank account last month and noticed BG had upped the bill to £215 without contacting me via letter, mail or calls. I thought it was a mistake so gave them a call. To my horror they concluded that my new bill was in fact £215, an extra £1500 PER YEAR!!! They couldnt even give me an adequate reason why! Ive not changed anything at all, we are doing the same as we have been doing over the last 3 years, infact we probably been using less leccy. We always give meter readings where asked so im totally dumbfounded as to the massive change. I didnt even sign up for an extra year, they just went ahead and changed it !

So i decided enough was enough, im leaving. I went through all the correct channels and found a supplier for £90 per month, great i thought, will have to take the 2 months of £215 from BG on the chin and move on... i just want shot of them.
    But more daylight robbery! Today they have sent me a letter saying i owe them a further £546!!
    Ive paid up to October and the switch has happened, i didnt sign anything for a new 12 month contract...

I dont know where to go with this, i fell that BG have robbed us blind and there isnt a lot i can do about it ! :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Strong words but do the facts back up what you are saving. The amount that you pay each month is meaningless: it is nothing more than money paid on account. You are billed at the agreed tariff rate and for the amount used. If you look back over old statements it is pretty easy to work out the charges less the amount that you have paid in monthly direct debits. It is important to use readings with an 'A" against them to do this calculation.

Do the readings agree with what is showing on your meter? That is, are you being billed for the correct meter and the correct usage? Does the meter stop turning when EVERYTHING is turned off?

Suppliers are not allowed to levy charges which are unfair. This would be a criminal offence in the legal sense of the word.

At the end of a fixed tariff, you have three options: one, switch to another fixed tariff with your existing supplier; two, switch to another supplier, and, three, do nothing and the supplier will move you on to its highest cost standard variable tariff.

In sum, do your own check that you have been billed accurately.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

We always give meter readings where asked

And what did your bills say about whether you were in credit or debit when you were paying £90 a month?
  • cfcboy97
    I cant get into my meter readings.. everytime i do i get "oops something went wrong"

I do have some meter readings that i did off my own back though:

My unit rate is 12.02 pence per kwh
    Between 1st April and 1st August of this year is used 4150 kwh
    Doing some basic maths states 4150 x 0.1202 = £498
    £498 / 5 = £99 per month

Unless ive gone totally wrong somewhere?!
  • System
    I cant get into my meter readings.. everytime i do i get "oops something went wrong"

I do have some meter readings that i did off my own back though:

My unit rate is 12.02 pence per kwh
    Between 1st April and 1st August of this year is used 4150 kwh
    Doing some basic maths states 4150 x 0.1202 = £498
    £498 / 5 = £99 per month

Unless ive gone totally wrong somewhere?!

There is a lot wrong. You have forgotten the daily standing charge and VAT at 5%. 4150kWhs between April and August is a heck of a lot of electricity. It equates to 1000kWhs/month in Spring/Summer. I average 240kWhs/month in the Winter months and about 180kWhs/month in the other months.
  • cfcboy97
    I live in a 2 bed bungalow, 3 occupants, only in in the evenings? I even have solar power panels!
    I just cant believe its rocketed up so much :(
  • System
    I live in a 2 bed bungalow, 3 occupants, only in in the evenings? I even have solar power panels!
    I just cant believe its rocketed up so much :(

You need to be pro-active. Turn everything off and check that the meter stops turning. Then turn something with known wattage on for a given period of time and note how the reading has changed. Take daily meter readings. If there is a meter fault then you need to talk to your supplier about the cost of getting your meter checked. It's free if the meter is found to be at fault.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you post your ACTUAL meter readings from the meter. It is very easy to misread the old clock meters.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • tommy39
    tommy39 Posts: 5 Forumite
    they did this to us when we left. we were on dual fuel kept getting demand's ,then threatned with bailiff,s . i just ignored the letter,s .then they started phoning, told them were to go. they did stop after a while, haven't heard anything since.hope this helps
  • cfcboy97
    ok here is what i have:

22639 dated 7 April 2017
    26517 dated 29 June 2017
    27680 dated 9 August 2017
    29027 dated 3 October 2017
    29156 dated 9 October 2017

My standing charge is 29p per day
    My unit charge is 12.02p per unit

Hope this helps?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tommy39 wrote: »
    they did this to us when we left. we were on dual fuel kept getting demand's ,then threatned with bailiff,s . i just ignored the letter,s .then they started phoning, told them were to go. they did stop after a while, haven't heard anything since.hope this helps

So you still owe them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport