Buyer deliberately cut item. Best thing to do?

Moogles44
Moogles44 Posts: 237 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Ok I know what would be the just thing to do but I'm asking what is the best thing to do for me through eBay process.

Buyer has deliberately made a massive cut in an item ( I know without a doubt) and said I don't need this item anymore and now look at this 20 cm hole ! - has to be seen to be believed opened item not as described. Gobsmacked, I politely asked if she's caught it on something. She said no it came like it, which it definitely didn't but I don't do returns so she has just obviously has done this to get a return/refund for free.

Now I've gone silent , waiting for today so I can ask eBay to step in and she's now left me negative feedback for not just instantly refunding her as she said I've ignored her- I was quiet as what do you say to someone doing this?! I just posted photos of item before and shown she's done this a few times before with her feedback.

Anyway, today is the day that I can ask eBay to step in so I've rung them and they said just leave it for her to ask eBay to step in and then they will get her to return it. I've been given wrong advice from eBay before . I'm worried this is not right. What would you do experienced sellers as she obviously has done this deliberately but I know how eBay often go with buyers so I'm worried - im not worried about losing the money, it's very much the principle to be honest but my eBay performance and ratings are important to me.
If you don’t like a thread or post just move on by.

Never a need to be ugly

Comments

• Sorry you had to go through this, us full time eBay sellers see some real pieces of work occasionally, like prolific feedback extortion cases which are horrendous.
    You will loose the case if she escalates and eBay have been know to refund people at that stage without them even returning the item. I know this completely contradicts what eBay have told you but see what some of the other regular posters tell you.
    If you call eBay about this, stress the part about her previous record and feedback left for others as it does seem to carry some weight. And don't forget to report the buyer using the button.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you or her ask eBay to step in the only loser will be you. To add insult to injury, she may be told not to return the item.

Not only that, you will get a dashboard mark for seller unresolved.

If you are more worried about that than the money, I would accept the return and wait and see if she returns it. In the small hope that she doesn't, you may then escalate the case and win it, thus having the feedback removed too.
  • Moogles44
    If you or her ask eBay to step in the only loser will be you. To add insult to injury, she may be told not to return the item.

Not only that, you will get a dashboard mark for seller unresolved.

If you are more worried about that than the money, I would accept the return and wait and see if she returns it. In the small hope that she doesn't, you may then escalate the case and win it, thus having the feedback removed too.

Thanks, this is what I thought but I rung eBay twice and they told me to leave it up to buyer to ask them to step in . I going with what you say though as you've reaffirmed what I think is going to be best.
    Thank you 😊

Never a need to be ugly
  • Moogles44
    Sorry you had to go through this, us full time eBay sellers see some real pieces of work occasionally, like prolific feedback extortion cases which are horrendous.
    You will loose the case if she escalates and eBay have been know to refund people at that stage without them even returning the item. I know this completely contradicts what eBay have told you but see what some of the other regular posters tell you.
    If you call eBay about this, stress the part about her previous record and feedback left for others as it does seem to carry some weight. And don't forget to report the buyer using the button.

Thank you too. I think they should have ebay sellers as advisors sometimes as they give better advice :p

Never a need to be ugly
  • southerly
    southerly Posts: 181 Forumite
    I wonder if she could have cut it when opening, if it was clothing in a mailing bag & not opened carefully. It just seems odd to make such a large hole deliberately, only a small one would be needed to claim the item was faulty.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It could also have got caught in machinery which could have taken a chunk out of it. Parcels travel for miles on conveyor belts around depots, they occasionally get caught up in the workings.

How are you so sure it was the buyer?
  • Moogles44
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    It could also have got caught in machinery which could have taken a chunk out of it. Parcels travel for miles on conveyor belts around depots, they occasionally get caught up in the workings.

How are you so sure it was the buyer?

It was wrapped in paper and a strong plastic mailing bag. I asked buyer if they caught it on something or if mailing bag had any damage , she said neither had happened . Due the nature of the garment unless bag was ripped or cut there is no way it was damaged during transit .

I looked at her other negative feedback left for other sellers and one mentioned specifically the hem of a dress and you could see the photo of the hem of the dress and it was fine. It seems to be what the buyer does quite often.

Never a need to be ugly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport