Thousands at risk of pig virus from ‘Supermarket X’ sausages (now revealed as Tesco)

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Both Morriosn's and Waitrose top-end sausages are made with British pork and are very good. I agree that the run of the mill supermarket types are distinctly dodgy. I'm never surprised when products like that turn out to have problems - they are clearly made down to a price.

Though I agree, it's hardly a suprize, it should never be the case that people are put at risk to such a degree as things like hepatitis's nor should be sold anything other than what the label reads.
    I hope both trading standards and the UK government actually do something about this rather than as it seems to be; letting it go and giving an almost green light for the same or similar to carry on (read: Horse-Meat-Scandal)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Though I agree, it's hardly a suprize, it should never be the case that people are put at risk to such a degree as things like hepatitis's nor should be sold anything other than what the label reads.
    I hope both trading standards and the UK government actually do something about this rather than as it seems to be; letting it go and giving an almost green light for the same or similar to carry on (read: Horse-Meat-Scandal)

I agree with you entirely, The horsemeat scandal was a good example of how government allows big companies to get away with this dangerous nonsense. The current Fipronil scare over imported eggs is another. So much for all the idiocy about the safeguards of EU standards!
  • Can you get tested for it?

Was 'cooked' ham effected?

If sausages thoroughly cooked, are they ok?
  • Any answers to the questions above?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    purpleroad wrote: »
    Any answers to the questions above?

Not really - but since then we've now learned that chicken 'returned' by Lidl has been repackaged, redated and gone back out again with Tesco packaging!

I stopped buying meat at Tesco a long time ago (and their fish looks equally unappetising) - nothing I ever read persuades me to go back again.

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products.

The UK’s biggest retailer has removed the claim that Willow Farm chicken is “reared exclusively for Tesco” from its website after film obtained as part of a Guardian and ITV News investigation into poultry giant 2 Sisters Food Group (2SFG) showed packs of Lidl drumsticks being opened and emptied back on to the production line. The drumsticks then re-emerged at the end of the line, repackaged with Willow Farm labels and destined for Tesco’s shelves."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/29/tesco-admits-error-over-repackaging-of-returned-lidl-chicken
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Wikipedia doesn't answer the test/fix situation but is moderately reassuring, unless you were pregnant. Where the usual battery of tests would probably pick it up but I don't know what the treatment might do to an embryo etc.

+1 for The Grocer as a reliable source, BTW.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Can you get tested for it?

Was 'cooked' ham effected?

If sausages thoroughly cooked, are they ok?
    Any answers to the questions above?

Have you read the article in the first link in post #18?

It mentions 'imported pork'.
    Tesco say the sausages on sale at the time of the research were from UK pork and continue to be today.

I don't know about ham but if you do some research you'll probably find the answer to your question.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Have you read the article in the first link in post #18?

It mentions 'imported pork'.
    Tesco say the sausages on sale at the time of the research were from UK pork and continue to be today.

I don't know about ham but if you do some research you'll probably find the answer to your question.

I suppose that depends how much you trust Tesco to tell the truth - and its track record doesn't inspire any confidence at all on that. See a couple of posts up, for example:

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products."

and many more instances of Tesco 'mistakes'.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I suppose that depends how much you trust Tesco to tell the truth - and its track record doesn't inspire any confidence at all on that. See a couple of posts up, for example:

"Tesco has said it made a mistake when it described chicken sold under its Willow Farm brand as “reared exclusively” for the supermarket chain, after undercover footage of a processing plant showed packs of drumsticks returned by Lidl being repackaged as Willow Farm products."

and many more instances of Tesco 'mistakes'.

Must be scary in your conspiracy theory world. :cool:
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Must be scary in your conspiracy theory world. :cool:

Not remotely. But then I've never really seen the Food Standards Agency as big on conspiracy theory either - any more than Tesco is big on feeding its customers with the truth about its products. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure