Thousands at risk of pig virus from ‘Supermarket X’ sausages (now revealed as Tesco)

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A._Badger wrote: »
    It's another reason to avoid cheap imported meat from countries with lower standards and particularly processed products in which the cheapest ingredients are frequently used.

It's a reminder of the horse meat scandal. Seem to remember a supermarket beginning with T was involved in that, too.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    purpleroad wrote: »
    If the sausages are cooked properly is virus killed?

Yes.
    Ham?

Ditto
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    From the Telegraph:

However, sources told the Sunday Times that the supermarket involved was Tesco. When questioned by The Daily Telegraph, the supermarket giant said it would not be able to comment on the allegations specifically.

A spokeswoman for the retailer added: “We work very closely with the FSA and PHE to make sure customers can be confident in the safety and quality of the food they buy.

“This particular research was carried out six years ago on a small number of people, and although it provided no direct link between specific products and hepatitis E we always take care to review research findings such as this.

“Food quality is really important to us and we have in place an expert team to ensure the highest possible standards at every stage of our supply chain, as well as providing clear information to customers on how to handle and cook pork in the home to minimise the risk of hepatitis E.”

The FSA said that they were aware of the findings and "reviewing all aspects of hepatitis E” with other government departments and industry.

Tesco says it's OK - so that's alright then. :)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    One of several reasons I stopped shopping at Tesco was the amount of its food that was produced or sourced overseas. Leaving aside products that have to be imported (pineapples, oranges etc) there is only one reason for processing your fish elsewhere, or including imported meat in so many products and that is to cut costs. Why take the risk when the only beneficiary is Tesco itself?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Well I'm ok then as I don't shop for meat at Tesco.:j
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Oh no. Can you get tested for it easily?

I buy from Tescos all the time and give it to my 2 year old and myself. Sausages and cooked ham. So they're saying that Tescos packaged ham can give it to you, surely packaged cooked ham is ok? I always cook sausages through.

They're saying 200,000 new cases, that's diabolical. Is hep E as bad as C or not that bad like A?
  • A._Badger
    According to reports, Public Health England has finally caved in to consumer pressure and has admitted that it was Tesco that has sold sausages possibly infected with Hepatitis E, caused by the use of infected pork from the EU.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-supplying/food-safety/tesco-confirmed-as-supermarket-x-in-phe-hepatitis-e-study/556814.article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4817122/Supermarket-X-posed-Tesco-revealed-unnamed-store.html

Hands up any MSE reader who is genuinely surprised.
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    The Grocer, the trade magazine for supermarkets, named Supermarket X as Tesco today. I would take them as a reliable source.

I've read that some food processors hadn't been sterilizing pig blood before using it in products.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I buy my bangers from Dobbies and they are Gloucester old spot with cost a good deal more but are much nicer than mass produced stuff from supermarkets and they buy locally sourced as much as possible to their store. Failing that I will buy from my local butcher who is also a local bought chap and has won awards for his snorkers :)

I don't like mass produced sausages and I try not to buy with less than 90% pork content and would rather have one or at most two good ones than a plateful of those anaemic looking things from the big supermarkets
  • A._Badger
    JackieO wrote: »
    I buy my bangers from Dobbies and they are Gloucester old spot with cost a good deal more but are much nicer than mass produced stuff from supermarkets and they buy locally sourced as much as possible to their store. Failing that I will buy from my local butcher who is also a local bought chap and has won awards for his snorkers :)

I don't like mass produced sausages and I try not to buy with less than 90% pork content and would rather have one or at most two good ones than a plateful of those anaemic looking things from the big supermarkets

Both Morriosn's and Waitrose top-end sausages are made with British pork and are very good. I agree that the run of the mill supermarket types are distinctly dodgy. I'm never surprised when products like that turn out to have problems - they are clearly made down to a price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure