PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It is tough NOW. So how are we coping

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ROSIEBEN

Well - theres all sorts of ways to think round this point. Some companies will replace the person concerned. I know my own, for instance, would be highly unlikely to do so - as they usually rub their hands with glee whenever anyone retires and thats one less person on the wagebill (they start "doing a celebratory war dance" so fast its almost indecent). So - I guess some people will have a replacement for them found on the one hand - but, even for those who know they wouldnt be replaced, there is more money available in the "kitty" - which helps in ensuring the funding is there to keep on paying the other workers.

The retiree on the other hand is set free to find some useful - but unpaid - work. Sometimes that work might be looking after grandchildren. Sometimes (as it will be in my case) that person will be set free to pursue some socially useful work. Either way - Society gains - even if the employer of the retiree doesnt replace them. Obviously - some retirees will do precisely nothing very much to contribute - even if they are perfectly well enough to do so. One can understand if the person's health isnt up to it obviously. But one cant "legislate for all eventualities" - some people are lazy and wont do any work of any description even if in the "pink of health"....but theres nothing one can do about that.
  • Icemaiden
    Options
    I need to do a bulk purchase of washing powder within the next week, I usually buy Ariel as it doesn't interfere with my DD skin. I do on average about 3/4 loads a week so thats upto 208 loads per year:eek: . I only use half the amount of power and still my whites are white:D so could just get away with a box of 100 washes or maybe 2 x 50 washes if I'm careful with the scoopage.
    Anyway back to my question:D does anyone know of any deals at the moment? Storage isn't a problem as I have a nice dry utility room which a big box or two could be stashed.

Thanks

Ice
    x
    Rebel No 22
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    Are there no other lazy swine like me out there who would jump at the chance of retirement, spent learning languages, tinkering about with a guitar, foisting my company at weekends and holidays on friends and family, and yes, a bit of volunteering?

Bring it on! If only!
  • fletch3163
    Options
    :D Right, all caught up now (well, with this thread and my coffee intake at least)

My sympathies to those with the threat/certainty of job losses. Working in the financial services industry it's a thing I pray doesn't reach my doorstep.

To the young lady back there doing all she can to help her parents while they work long hours in the takeaway, my hat goes off to you too. You're a credit to both your parents and society.

I've somehow managed to save another THREE links to read when I've a minute.

I've forgotten loads of names from back the thread but can I ask about growing raspberries? Autumn tumble I think it was. Do they grow tall? I could do this in my front garden (facing north east) but not if they grow tall.
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Icemaiden wrote: »
    I need to do a bulk purchase of washing powder within the next week, I usually buy Ariel as it doesn't interfere with my DD skin. I do on average about 3/4 loads a week so thats upto 208 loads per year:eek: . I only use half the amount of power and still my whites are white:D so could just get away with a box of 100 washes or maybe 2 x 50 washes if I'm careful with the scoopage.
    Anyway back to my question:D does anyone know of any deals at the moment? Storage isn't a problem as I have a nice dry utility room which a big box or two could be stashed.

Thanks

Ice
    x

Think it's on offer in Asda at the mo, poss Mr T's as well, have a look on mysupermarket.com. I'm still ploughing through the enormous box of Daz I bought for £7 lol!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are there no other lazy swine like me out there who would jump at the chance of retirement, spent learning languages, tinkering about with a guitar, foisting my company at weekends and holidays on friends and family, and yes, a bit of volunteering?

Bring it on! If only!

:rotfl: ....dont think any of us would be expecting to do a 40 hour workweek still?;) :D - I may be mistaken.....

I'm planning part-time "work" and part-time exactly what I want after all these years.....after over 40 years full-time work without a break (unless you count periods of enforced unemployment:cool: ). I've often thought that if all the paid work in Society got divided up equally between all those working age group people ablebodied enough to do it - we'd probably only have to work a 20 hour workweek or so anyway....so thats what I'm basically planning on....ie reducing my workweek to that 20 hours (voluntary/"political" activist work) and the rest of my time for ME!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I retired in 1995 and have been so busy with my time I can't think how I managed to fit in working .When I finished work, we also moved house and downsized to a smaller place nearer to our children and families. I said to my late husband 'Thats it, I'm now going to do all the things that I never had time to do because of work'.
    I really have as well. I have done more in the last 14 years, and enjoyed almost all of it . Sadly my late husband only had 8 years of retirement, but he too enjoyed doing all sorts of things .We would make a point of going out one day during the week for lunch, or a drive to the coast .He had his garden and football which he loved watching, and his Masons.
    I had my adult-ed which I am still in at the moment, plus I learned to swim, another ambition reached . I spent many hours with my genealogy hobby, and I have seven grandchildren also takes up my time .
    I would heartily reccommend it to anyone. I never wanted to live for work, but living for life is much more fun.
    I do feel for those who will lose their jobs in the coming months ,but having gone through tough times myself you do adapt and just learn to live your life differently. I could actually do with at least another 10 hours in the day to get done all that I want to. My garden I cannot do much with now ,so last year had it part-laid to patio so I can manage with a few pots, and don't have to worry about digging anymore. I used to enjoy decorating, but with wobbly joints being up a ladder isn't a good idea, so I emulsion where I can, and my lovely DD climbs the step ladder for where I can't reach in exchange for some home-cooking for the freezer.
    Its all done by realising what can be done, and what can't. I know my limitaions and adjust my life accordingly. I have precious time with my youngest grandchildren that I never had when mine were young as I was always at work, and have taught two of them to read, tie their shoelaces and tell the time .
    My DD has five children so helping her spread the load a bit helps her no end.
    Everyday I try to do something different if I can.Tomorrow I am back at Uni and will hand in my second essay.I love learning about the past, and history is my favourite subject.
    So if you are made redundant, or lose your job, don't think of what might have been, but look on it as what could be, and learn from the experience . Even if its only to see how you can make your money streeetch a little more.It is hard with a restricted income, no one knows that more than a pensioner, but its possible to enjoy your life even on a little bit.When your out look up not down you won't find the answer to your problems on the ground (unless it's a bundle of cash) but even that won't give you a job.
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have read in the mail on sunday this moring that there is an online company that are selling food after there best before date! On the cheep!

I think the company is called approved food.
    The paper said that up untill all the banks went bust!! thay were having trouble selling there stuff but now thay are having trouble copeing with the amount of orders that thay are getting off hard prested familys

Have any of you heard of this site? iv done a serach but i can not find it the paper did not get a site address?

The compoany sound like it could be of use to some of the users of this site.
    yet in never heard of anyone talking about it on here.

Any help off any of you would be great
    and any help off martin and the team would be great to could any of you investagate this please?

All th very best to you all
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    halight wrote: »
    The paper said that up untill all the banks went bust!! thay were having trouble selling there stuff but now thay are having trouble copeing with the amount of orders that thay are getting off hard prested familys

I think you'll find that their popularity increased after being mentioned on Old Style back in November-time :D I'll add this to the Things are tougher now thread later - that's where it started, I think ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for that i will have a look at that thred later on and try to find it
    thanks again
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure