Non Standard base units

2»

Comments

• ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Diykitchens do reduced depth base units - 300 and 460cm. Not cheap at roughly £100 for a highline and £150 for drawerline in the Cento range, but they do most widths. Ikea wall units are 38.6cm deep.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • LRW66
    LRW66 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Tried looking to see the price of a howdens wall unit but it’s priced with the door ... a 600 w wall unit with Greenwich high gloss white door £80 + vat ... a 100 high line base & 2 doors about £130 ish + vat not sure if that was with my discount or not!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    annieb1981 wrote: »
    Really! That would work, I wonder is this something only some suppliers do? If we order flatpack there is the option to cut down also, but I wouldn't want to be paying a big price for something I could potentially destroy in the process :think:

Just to clarify, the supplier won't normally be the ones who cut the units down. That will be down to you, or whoever is installing it.
  • LRW66 wrote: »
    Go into Howdens and double check there sizes if you need a account holder message me

Cheers! My father works beside a kitchen place and is going to query with them. I'd like to get as much depth as possible in the units. Its a tiny room with 3 doors opening into it already, but it is space we hadn't had so we'll take as much space as we can get squeezed in!

Thank everyone, loads to think about.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    annieb1981 wrote: »
    loads to think about.

One more comment to throw in to the pot - Steer clear of the new range of flat pack units from B&Q. The GoodHome units by all accounts, are crap and no where near as good as the Cooke & Lewis range.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A decent fitter will be able to overcome that without any issues.

We had the same issue in my Mother-in-Laws bathroom, the vanity unit over hung the door. The fitter took an inch of the cabinet, and an inch of the drawers so they still fitted and worked.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    HHarry wrote: »
    A decent fitter will be able to overcome that without any issues.

We had the same issue in my Mother-in-Laws bathroom, the vanity unit over hung the door. The fitter took an inch of the cabinet, and an inch of the drawers so they still fitted and worked.

Agreed

The OP is overthinking this. Adapting the units is stock-in-trade for a decent fitter / joiner.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    With due respect to the OP and others, I did a google search for "500 depth kitchen base units". There are plenty of hits. Just choose the units you want, and there's no need to alter them at all.

Most worktop is 600 deep, but easily cut to the required depth.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • MarcTJTD
    MarcTJTD Posts: 92 Forumite
    Others have already mentioned the two cheap options; using wall units or trimming away service gaps.

DIY Kitchens were mentioned above; they do have slimline rigid cabinets but be wary of their delivery charges pushing up the price of the project and be absolutely sure that you're ordering everything that you need (and nothing you don't).

They have a minimum order value of £750 ex VAT (£900 inc VAT) and quite a restrictive returns policy so make sure that you don't end up stuck with items that you don't need or short of items that you do.

If you're looking for something with a higher quality than the likes of Howdens/DIY Kitchens with no custom joinery required, there's a supplier called Omega PLC (Sheraton/Mackintosh range).

One of their options is reduced depth base/drawer units (460mm) rigid built and factory assembled, and they supply quite a few independents who will have designers able to help you plan the project and order the right items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure