PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade hobnobs?

Comments

• billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    twink wrote: »
    blimey mcvities or whoever will be wondering why their hobnobs arent selling
    I think they will be already! Saw some hobnob "lights" in the reduced section in Waitrose yesterday:D :D . Needless to say, I ignored them;) .
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    billieboy wrote: »
    I think they will be already! Saw some hobnob "lights" in the reduced section in Waitrose yesterday:D :D . Needless to say, I ignored them;) .

nice one billieboy, you know it makes sense to make your own ;)
  • I've been meaning to try these for ages and finally got round to it last Friday. It's now Thursday and there is nothing left of the third batch made on Tuesday:eek:

DD2 made the third lot, she nagged me so much to make some more that I told her to try making them herself - so she did and they tasted delish. She seems to have got the baking habit as she is now in the kitchen making a victoria sponge for her friend's birthday tomorrow.

Thanks Twink for a great recipe, I'm going to go through this thread again to find variations so that I can make some for Christmas presents for friends and relatives.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • Thank you to everyone who has posted variations to this thread. I've just spent a very nice evening browsing while asthma and COPD is wobbling. I'm looking forward to trying out the many variations at fundraisers at our Scout & Guide HQ.

I've put a lot of the tips and variations int my recipe book so I can play later. If it would help anyone, I can post them all togeather. As a new member I do not want to tread on toes ;)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    For my halloween party next week I'm going to sprinkle them with edible glitter and call them Magic Twinks or something similar
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Thank you to everyone who has posted variations to this thread. I've just spent a very nice evening browsing while asthma and COPD is wobbling. I'm looking forward to trying out the many variations at fundraisers at our Scout & Guide HQ.

I've put a lot of the tips and variations int my recipe book so I can play later. If it would help anyone, I can post them all togeather. As a new member I do not want to tread on toes ;)

that would be just great if you would do that for us wogglemaker, bet i will be amazed at how many variations people have thought of, hope you are feeling better now

savingpennies well done to your dd2 for making the hobnobs so delicious

and great idea for halloween sandy2
  • Oscar wrote: »
    Because this thread was started sooooo long ago I thought the recipe must be somewhere near the end. So after trawling through about 4 pages or more and looking at 'Twinks' posts, I then decided to start at the begining.....and its a VERY good place to start as the recipe is on the very 1st page!!! doh!!!

There's a song along those lines in sound of music;)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • I've made these about 6 times now, everyone who tries one loves them, I buy the cheapest chocolate (smartprice) and drizzle it on them, they are lovely and are saving me a fortune on sweets and biscuits as ds20 loves them
    Be kinder than necessary because we do not know the battles that someone else may face

A103, A210, U211, EA300, Y163, AA316, DSE141, A300 = BA (Hons):T
    A815 MA (current)
  • turfy6
    turfy6 Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I made these last night and there are only about 3 left!!! They have gone off to work and school in the lunchboxes, better grab one while there is still time. Definitely one to add to the baking list. Thanks Twink
    Visa £[STRIKE]5063 [/STRIKE]now 0. Loan 1 €[STRIKE]4885[/STRIKE] now 0. Loan 2 €29,590 now €0 as of 22/02/2016 Mgage €55000/ €23,639 at 01/02/18
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW Nerd 1209 Keep on keeping on folks DFD FEB 2016 MGE FREE 2024 (hopefully earlier)
  • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After a very nice evening yesterday reading this thread, here is the combined wisdom of the dedicated hobnobers.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If on a diet like I'm supposed to be cast your eyes away from the cals
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Nutrition Summary Per Serving Total Recipe[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Calories (kcal) 74.6 4105.3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Protein (g) 1.1 60.3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Carbohydrate (g) 10.1 553.7[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fat (g) 3.4 187.3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fibre(g) 0.5 28.7[/FONT]

the accumilated wisdom of dedicated hobnobers
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ANGELRAESUNSHINE - we now have 3 types of hobnob in our house
    a mummy hobnob fat and chewy ( which is how i am gonna end up if i keep eating them the way i am lol)
    an daddy hobnob which is a bigger normal one
    and sprog hobnobs which are smaller one
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]THRIFTY LADIES TIP - put half the dough between two sheets of reusable liner - from Lakeland and roll lightly. using a 3 inch biscuit cutter has resulted in 31 large biscuits. Next time I'll use a 2½ inch cutter. Lift onto the trays using a fish slice as they are quite fragile. (good for making into pressies. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]UNIXGIRLUK'S TIP- I cheated when making these for the umpteenth time and decided rather than rolling them out into little balls I would press into a very large baking tray (was pushed for time). I used one of the school kitchen sized baking trays (nearly as big as my over shelf) and they came out perfect and just cut them into squares once cooled. IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT ONE THAT LARGE, USE 2 SMALLER[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Got any unpleasant swiss style muesli? If so, weesle71 recommends turning it into a batch of twinks. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Try loose freezing balls of dough and taking a few out to cook for special occasions[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Roll the mix into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film, then chill – makes it easier to slice into even pieces[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Done is when they are golden - they crisp up a bit as they cool[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Plain flour + baking powder (or bicarb of soda and cream of tarter) = self raising flour[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Variations add some[/FONT]
    a [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]bit of lemon juice and zest[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]chopped glac! cherries, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]chopped apricots,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]sultanas, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]maple syrup and almond essence,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]treacle and dark brown soft sugar – THEY ARE DARKER TO START![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]handful of coconut[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]a generous handful of seed mix (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and poppy), [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]nutmeg, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]flaked almonds sprinkled on the top, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cinnamon, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]mixed spice[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]choc chips and roasted hazelnuts [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ground almonds, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]stem ginger,
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ground ginger,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]dried cranberries. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Chocolate chips,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]coco powder[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]mixed spice[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]currents[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]melted Galaxy coating in yummie[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]mixed white & wholemeal flour works[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]add country mix (pumpkin seeds nuts and fruit ) also grated apple in and make into flapjacks and they are lush ! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]failed home made yoghurt has been used[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]you can use less sugar if diabetic[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]drizzle chocolate over when cool. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Use honey if run out of golden syrup, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]substitute demerara sugar for ordinary, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]substitute butter for marg, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]wholemeal S/R can be used instead of ordinary flour[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]hard marg works better than soft spreading stuff, (it used to be called axle grease when I was little)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Blobs should be the size of a walnut.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Metal storage may keep them crisper than plastic . [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have a melon ball or meatball gadget, use that to make even sized blobs. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If they stick the first time you make them try covering the tray with greaseproof paper[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]do them as a traybake, 170o for 20 mins [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]if you need to hide them pop in the freezer labelled liver & bacon casserole[/FONT]
    gluten free flour works
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]treacle works[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]add some almond essence [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]try museli toped up with oats[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]average yield is 50 – 55 though 60 is not unheard of, top score so far is 90[/FONT]

I hope hobnobers find this useful
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport