Care Home fees.

Options
My Mother in Law suffers from dementia and lives in sheltered accommodation. She pays all her rent, care costs, etc.

My wife is getting upset because the carers are not very good carers. They don't launder properly, don't clean the flat properly etc. We feel that it would be better if my wife did certain things like the above and say helped her have a shower things would be better. We would still leave a lot of things like taking her to and from meals in the resident lounge/dining room to the carers.
Now, if my wife did this she would have to give up her part time job and that is not economically viable. So the thought is that if she took £500 per month to compensate for her loss of salary AND payment for providing care would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home. That is, would the Local Authority try to claw back the payments my wife would receive?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Mother in Law suffers from dementia and lives in sheltered accommodation. She pays all her rent, care costs, etc.

My wife is getting upset because the carers are not very good carers. They don't launder properly, don't clean the flat properly etc. We feel that it would be better if my wife did certain things like the above and say helped her have a shower things would be better. We would still leave a lot of things like taking her to and from meals in the resident lounge/dining room to the carers.
    Now, if my wife did this she would have to give up her part time job and that is not economically viable. So the thought is that if she took £500 per month to compensate for her loss of salary AND payment for providing care would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home. That is, would the Local Authority try to claw back the payments my wife would receive?

Wow, she cant balance a part time job with a few hours there... that sounds believable. I'm sure the judge will think so too when she's on trial for theft!

Some people....
  • Norma_Norman
    Options
    Well, considering she also looks after a 93 year old blind and deaf Aunt, No she can't. And it would be more than a few hours. Whether or not you approve isn't the question. Also at the age of 64 the wife is not exactly the strongest to have such a high workload
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife is getting upset because the carers are not very good carers.

We feel that it would be better if my wife did certain things like the above and say helped her have a shower things would be better.

Now, if my wife did this she would have to give up her part time job and that is not economically viable. So the thought is that if she took £500 per month to compensate for her loss of salary AND payment for providing care would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home.

Have you complained about the quality of care provided by the carers?

One of my relatives has given up his job to care for his father but it's a formal arrangement with all laws complied with and taxes paid.

How many hours would your wife by working for the £500 a month? If it will be 35+, she could look at claiming Carers Allowance (assuming her mother is claiming AA).

She certainly can't expect 'compensation for loss of salary' from her mother!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether or not your wife is getting upset, if your MIL has capacity it's more about what she wants and whether or not she is happy. She may have different standards to your wife. Who does she want to help her shower? Some people would prefer it to be paid staff rather than close family.

Your wife cannot take money just to compensate for her loss of salary.
    If she was able to agree how much time she would spend caring along with an appropriate hourly rate that is a slightly different situation but to prevent safeguarding alerts it would need to be able to be justified. . But again, does MIL have capacity and if not is there any sort of power of attorney in place?

However if she is paying the setting to provide care and also paying your wife, that is doubling up and is unfair on her. You could explore the option of an alternative care provider however with many HWC settings they use their own staff and outsourcing isn't possible.
    If standards are not acceptable has MIL made a complaint, or if she's not able to do so then had someone done that on her behalf? Or raised it with social services if they are paying?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    How would your wife "take" the £500? I assume that she has power of attorney for mother and would use that to give herself some of her mother's money. If this is the case it would surely be legally dubious. A PoA must act solely for the benefit of the donor.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Well, considering she also looks after a 93 year old blind and deaf Aunt, No she can't. And it would be more than a few hours. Whether or not you approve isn't the question. Also at the age of 64 the wife is not exactly the strongest to have such a high workload
    No, whether or not I approve isn't the question.

That's for a judge I mentioned....

When it transpires that a daughter was taking £500 a month from her dementia ridden mother to apply some basic care - whilst she was already being cared for by (presumably) a licenced and accredited care company....
  • Norma_Norman
    Options
    We have complained but nothing improves. It would be about 10+ hours a week. OK, "compensation for loss of salary AND payment for providing care" is the wrong expression . I'll just reduce that to payment for providing care.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have complained but nothing improves. It would be about 10+ hours a week. OK, "compensation for loss of salary AND payment for providing care" is the wrong expression . I'll just reduce that to payment for providing care.

Your wife would then be an employee of your MIL and will have to comply with the relevant legislation.
  • Comms69
    Options
    So approx. £12.50 an hour, to care for your own mum.

Nice work if you can get it...
  • Norma_Norman
    Norma_Norman Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Elsien, she has dementia. Mother in Law is always unhappy. She wants to be dead! My wife has joint Power of Attorney with her sister.

So it's not as straight forward as saying what does she want.

She would not be paying twice for care. What the carers would no longer be doing they would not be getting paid for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure