Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I am sure that although he is staying with his brother your husband wants to pay his way or treat him.

Yes to Clarity and a second card - you can arrange for the monthly balance to be be paid in full.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • GillyFlower
    GillyFlower Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Did a quick application with Halifax Clarity Card - but - didn't complete putting in my husbands info to apply. (Wondered if it is better to do it by phone)

We are only on state pension - own our property, savings, etc. But obviously they go on yearly income. I said £1,000 and it said a higher amount think something like £1,250 and gave an interest rate.

So with age & state pension can it be a 'minus' when taking something like this Credit Card? (Although no dependants, etc)
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    1. Halifax Clarity - will statement be emailed? In other words if it is due whilst he is away can I see account and pay it online to save costs?

2. Talking about a Virgin Current Account - he does have a NatWest Current Account is it worth talking to them or are their fees too high?

Phew - like studying for an exam.

Thank you

P.S. Just saw article from this site they do mention Barclaycard Travel Card??

He's is only away for a month, so it's not an issue. But you can access the Halifax account online to see what is being spent in order to cover any cash withdrawals immediately.

If I wanted to suggest NatWest I would have done so. How did Virgin morph into NatWest?? Forget about NatWest.

Barclaycard Travel Platinum is a good option for a credit card.
  • GillyFlower
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    He's is only away for a month, so it's not an issue. But you can access the Halifax account online to see what is being spent in order to cover any cash withdrawals immediately.

If I wanted to suggest NatWest I would have done so. How did Virgin morph into NatWest?? Forget about NatWest.

Barclaycard Travel Platinum is a good option for a credit card.

I do apologize I didn't mean to morph Virgin - it just occurred to me to mention what he already had. Thank you for your helpful input to help set out our choices.
  • EveryWhere
    I do apologize I didn't mean to morph Virgin - it just occurred to me to mention what he already had. Thank you for your helpful input to help set out our choices.

Not a problem. ;) NatWest is just one of the worst options for travel.
  • GillyFlower
    edited 6 August 2018 at 10:27AM
    This morning I feel traveled out in my head!

1. So going to apply for Halifax Clarity Card today.
    2. Also Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card

Note: Hopefully both will be granted as issues when only State Pension income, although owner property and no debt. I think what they do is slap on higher interest if I have read that correct.

So questions -

1. Is it wise to try and get these two cards because of eventualities i.e. draw amount of cash out in one go when he gets there and use Halifax Clarity Card as main purchases (including cash) and Barclaycard as a 'back - up'.

Have I understood your advice correctly?

Note: All your help has been invaluable - he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.
  • EveryWhere
    This morning I feel traveled out in my head!

1. So going to apply for Halifax Clarity Card today.
    2. Also Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card

Note: Hopefully both will be granted as issues when only State Pension income, although owner property and no debt. I think what they do is slap on higher interest if I have read that correct.

So questions -

1. Is it wise to try and get these two cards because of eventualities i.e. draw amount of cash out in one go when he gets there and use Halifax Clarity Card as main purchases (including cash) and Barclaycard as a 'back - up'.

Have I understood your advice correctly?

Note: All your help has been invaluable - he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.

If you are going to apply for two credit cards, as opposed to one debit card and one credit card, then I would use them the other way around. Use the Barclaycard for cash withdrawals and the Clarity for purchases.

The reason for doing it that way, is that the Barclaycard doesn't charge interest for cash withdrawals as long as you pay the full statement balance. The Halifax charges interest on cash withdrawals as soon as you make the withdrawal, but nothing on purchases as long as you pay the full statement balance.

So Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for purchases. If one fails, can use the other as a back-up.
  • EveryWhere
    If you fail with your applications, then default to Virgin Money Essential for cash and SAGA Platinum for purchases; https://www.saga.co.uk/money/credit-card
  • GillyFlower
    1. OK - Halifax Clarity Credit Card has been successful with a £1500 credit limit and purchase rate of 25.95%::j

2. So - got so far - but sorry think I was getting muddled up as to which card is best for him to draw out cash as soon as he get there - also thinking he must have another card in case there are issues with it i.e. not working for some reason.

3. I have looked at the SAGA link and looking at cash withdrawal does that seem quite a good option? If I understand it correctly you pay charge BUT not anymore as long as balance is paid in full on statement.

So grateful for all help - I will need the rest whilst he is away.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 3:27PM
    he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.
    Great. But if I'm not mistaken this will be his first application and experience with a credit card (?) Even if accepted, the initial credit limit is unlikely to be more than a few hundred pounds. Any mistakes when using it, such as exceeding that limit, results in penalties.

A direct debit should be set up to pay off the full balance at the 'pay by' date, even if some is paid off early to extend credit balance availability. In this way interest on purchases or late payment, is safely avoided.

But the complexities of credit card use could be avoided by using instead the Virgin Money Essential account card, with the Lloyds card as backup. I think it still requires a visit to your local Virgin branch to set up the account.

Nothing wrong with the challenge of learning something new, even for just a one month trip, as long as it's worth it compared to the relative simplicity of using a debit card.

Edit : well done, Clarity with a relatively decent limit, i was mistaken there.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport