Registering with Pay-Pal

sevenonine
sevenonine Posts: 201 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I need some advice re PayPal which, judging from their "official" website, seems to be a US company - have I got the right website?

They also mention a reserve account and a payment account. So when asked for how payment will be made is it by debit or credit card? If so, that is the payment account. What is the reserve account?

Any other advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Paypal is the original US company, you'll be joining PayPal UK .

Basically, your PayPal account can be funded from several sources. It might be better to think of them as primary, secondary etc.

If you make a payment with PayPal you select whether it comes from your Paypal balance or whether it comes from your Primary payment source or secondary source.

The wrinkle is that the secondary acts as backup to the first. So if the funds aren't available from the primary , PayPal will take them from the secondary.
  • sevenonine
    PHK wrote: »
    Paypal is the original US company, you'll be joining PayPal UK .
    Basically, your PayPal account can be funded from several sources. It might be better to think of them as primary, secondary etc.
    If you make a payment with PayPal you select whether it comes from your Paypal balance or whether it comes from your Primary payment source or secondary source.
    The wrinkle is that the secondary acts as backup to the first. So if the funds aren't available from the primary , PayPal will take them from the secondary.

Thanks for the explanation. So does one start with a deposit of say £10 from my bank (debit) account. I would rather pay the exact price of the item, rather than leave a balance. Besides I can't see myself buying any more items online. Ideally I would like to buy this battery in a shop where I can see whether it fits rather than have the hassle of returning it.

One other query: the battery fits a number of other mobile phones. On the back plate of my (old) mobile the Model is E71-1. Would this type of replacement battery fit my phone? I guess I could ask the seller.
  • With PayPal I have a credit card registered with them. What happens is when you make a purchase you will see the amount paid on your credit card statement. There is no "balance" on your PayPal account unless you sell something and receive payment, in which case the balance is used to pay for purchases in preference to your credit card.

The big advantage of PayPal is you don't send card details to the seller and in most cases it's a "push" payment from yourself, as opposed to the seller requesting a payment.
  • sevenonine
    With PayPal I have a credit card registered with them. What happens is when you make a purchase you will see the amount paid on your credit card statement. There is no "balance" on your PayPal account unless you sell something and receive payment, in which case the balance is used to pay for purchases in preference to your credit card.

The big advantage of PayPal is you don't send card details to the seller and in most cases it's a "push" payment from yourself, as opposed to the seller requesting a payment.

That's a very helpful explanation! However who sends the c/card statement - PayPal or the bank - and I suppose it's better to use a c/card than a debit card?

Are you able to advise me on getting a replacement battery for my Nokia E71 mobile? I've never really bought such small items online - only purchased a monitor for my pc from Amazon, whom I don't really want to use. There's such a range of battery models which begs the question how can one type of battery fit all?
  • You see the payment on your bank or CC statement, mine shows "PAYPAL *XYZcompany". Also PayPal send an email and you can check your PP account to see money in/out.

With regard to phone batteries, there are loads on eBay (which is why I guess you asked about PayPal)... however it's a mine field as to which are any good. There appear to be some "genuine" batteries for less than £5, but they might have been sitting on a shelf for several years as the E71 dates from ten years ago.
  • sevenonine
    It's a quandary as I urgently need to get my mobile working again. You mention £5 but again there's a range of prices quoted. Is it better paying more?
  • sevenonine wrote: »
    It's a quandary as I urgently need to get my mobile working again. You mention £5 but again there's a range of prices quoted. Is it better paying more?

Not necessarily. Be careful to check where it is shipped from and the sellers feedback. Shipping from China takes around 3 weeks

There are a lot of "OEM" batteries, which may be newer than "genuine" Nokia ones, but bear in mind that Nokia ceased making phones some time ago and the E71 is a very old model.

For £5 it's not much of a gamble.
  • Not necessarily. Be careful to check where it is shipped from and the sellers feedback. Shipping from China takes around 3 weeks

There are a lot of "OEM" batteries, which may be newer than "genuine" Nokia ones, but bear in mind that Nokia ceased making phones some time ago and the E71 is a very old model.

For £5 it's not much of a gamble.

Just a line re payment by PayPal. If the amount is so small as £5 is it still better to pay by PP? Perhaps any problems with return(s) would be covered by Ebay so guess you'd say it's the best way to go!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    No. It's always better to pay via PayPal using a credit card. Makes no difference to EBay protection.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2018 at 6:41PM
    Take the back off the phone, check the Nokia code on the battery, buy a battery with matching code.
    You're over-thinking this.
    Or 20 seconds on Google tells you that you need a BP-4L battery for an E71. £3.49 on eBay. One size does definitely not fit all.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport