How do I get accounts removed from credit report

Recently I discovered that there are accounts attached to my credit report that don’t belong to me! Around four years ago somebody used my details to open accounts and credit in my name! I reported the incident to the police and action fraud at the time but these accounts are still on my report!

I’ve raised a dispute with Experian and contacted the relevant CRA’s what else do I need to do?!

Is it straight forward to have things removed from my report? How long will it take if I’m successful with these disputes? Anyone had any similar experiences??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You've done what you need to do. Just stay on top of it if you don't get a response.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As you have raised the dispute you need to wait for their response, which should be within 40 days, though they can respond saying they need more time.
    Have you already had a response, as in the other thread?
    Have you also reported fraud to the original creditors (CRA's will often say they only report what creditors give).
  • Em2aLou38
    Em2aLou38 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I forgot I posted on another thread lol I!!!8217;m just going round in circles with it all!
    I!!!8217;ve contacted the relevant CRA!!!8217;s and I!!!8217;m waiting for them to send the accounts out to me which will include the application address!
    So once I can clear these with the CRA!!!8217;s they should remove them From my report??
    My partner is losing his rag and wants it done yesterday so we can get a better mortgage deal but I!!!8217;ve tried to tell him this is going to be a long drawn out process by the looks of it!
  • The CRA!!!8217;s will contact whomever the accounts are with to enquire about them.

It!!!8217;s down to whom the accounts are open with to advise the CRA!!!8217;s to remove them.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Em2aLou38 wrote: »
    I forgot I posted on another thread lol I!!!8217;m just going round in circles with it all!
    I!!!8217;ve contacted the relevant CRA!!!8217;s and I!!!8217;m waiting for them to send the accounts out to me which will include the application address!
    So once I can clear these with the CRA!!!8217;s they should remove them From my report??
    My partner is losing his rag and wants it done yesterday so we can get a better mortgage deal but I!!!8217;ve tried to tell him this is going to be a long drawn out process by the looks of it!

I thought this 1 was a follow up thread hence why I posted the link so other posters could read the previous thread to see what had been suggested.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Em2aLou38

The usual process when you have been a victim of fraud is to report it to Action Fraud, get a crime reference number and then contact the creditors in question and ask them to investigate. If they accept the debts were taken out fraudulently they will not hold you liable for the debts and should remove them from your credit file. Can you remember reporting the fraud to them?

Querying the entries with the credit reference agencies (CRAs) is fine, but as advised above, they will contact the creditors in question and ask them if the entries are incorrect. The CRAs simply report the information creditors give them.

Once you have reported the fraud to one of the CRAs, they should contact the other 2 CRAs to explain you may have been a victim of fraud. I hope you can get everything sorted out quickly.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Em2aLou38
    Em2aLou38 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I can recall a few years back receiving paper work in relation to the address I!!!8217;ve never lived at and the fact persons living there were using my details to obtain credit.

I reported it to the police straight away and in turn reported it to action fraud. The police are struggling to find the incident I reported which is frustrating. I!!!8217;ve emailed action fraud and waiting for a response from them they apparently keep records for 7 years so I!!!8217;m hoping they come up with something.

I don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s going to be an easy task to get these things removed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure