Spain

Options
Hi

We are considering holidaying in Spain next year for the first time.

We usually go to Greece (North Corfu, South Kefalonia, Thassos) but thought we would try somewhere new.

We enjoy sightseeing and often hire a car to see as much as possible as well as spending some time by the pool. We are not looking for clubs (well over the 18 - 30 scene :rotfl:) just somewhere quiet with nice places to eat/drink.

Would welcome any suggestions or advice.TIA
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look at Nerja, beautiful place, not far from Malaga. Or places like Albir or Altea close to Benidorm [but not too close].
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Have a look at Nerja, beautiful place, not far from Malaga. Or places like Albir or Altea close to Benidorm [but not too close].

Thank you will have a look. Have only seen Benidorm on the TV and it looks a little too busy for us.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look around the Cartagena / Mazarron / Aguilas areas.
    Lovely beaches, nice towns & quiet except for July & August.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    I'd agree with Pete about Nerja, I think it's one of the nicest places in Spain and as well as good access to Malaga (itself a lovely city) it's easy enough to get to historic cities such as Granada and Cordoba, plus the white villages in the hills above Nerja are great for days out.

As an alternative you could look at Denia, which is almost as nice as Nerja but I don't think has quite the same options for sightseeing (although both Alicante and Valencia are an easy train ride away).
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    How about Sitges?

Its a nice beachy kind of place and less than an hour on the train from Barcelona
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Calpe near Alicante might suit. We used to have an apartment there and had many happy family holidays there. It has a nice promenade and plenty of restaurants. These days we love Santa Eulalia in Ibiza. Georgeous place.
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd agree with Pete about Nerja, I think it's one of the nicest places in Span and as well as good access to Malaga (itself a lovely city) it's easy enough to get to historic cities such as Granada and Cordoba, plus the white villages in the hills above Nerja are great for days out.

As an alternative you could look at Denia, which is almost as nice as Nerja but I don't think has quite the same options for sightseeing (although both Alicante and Valencia are an easy train ride away).

The village in the hills closest to Nerja is called Frigiliana, which is in a gorgeous setting. Trouble is it gets over-run by tourists and tour groups. Plenty of other white villages, not quite as accessible, other than by car and wel worth the effort. Agree with Malaga too, most people miss it in their rush to get to the seaside.

Also agree with Denia, another lovely coastal town. A bit closer to Albir and Altea is Calpe, which is also in a gorgeous seaside setting with lots of history attached to it.

There's tram system between Alicante and Benidorm, and Benidorm and Denia [bus from Calpe to Denia], with some fantastic scenery especially between Albir and Calpe.
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Thank you will have a look. Have only seen Benidorm on the TV and it looks a little too busy for us.

Went into Benidorm twice from Albir on the local bus. The 2nd visit was to see whether it could be as bad as the first visit:).....it was.

It's got quite a pleasant Old Town though, and zillions of folk seem to like the place, and keep returning. It's the only place I've seen tandem mobility scooters.....ideal for old folk doing pub crawls.:beer:
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    Calpe near Alicante might suit. We used to have an apartment there and had many happy family holidays there. It has a nice promenade and plenty of restaurants. These days we love Santa Eulalia in Ibiza. Georgeous place.

Calpe is a lot closer to Benidorm, unless there's another one. Easy to reach by tram.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I mentioned Alicante because that is where the nearest airport is located. I never felt Benidorm was that close in all the years we holidayed in Calpe, but loved being near Altea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure