CIFAS category 6 marker please help!!!

Options

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here is a case of a Money Mule aged 17 with a CIFAS marker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43897614
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KjDot wrote: »
    Has this affected my credit score or is my credit score still okay but there is a marker on my name?

Check your report with 1 of the credit agencies but ignore the score.

KjDot wrote: »
    Will I be able to drive by my birthday next year?

Will you be able to drive, well who knows, if you have the money then yes as you can buy the car in cash, if you need to borrow the money then you might be unlucky with only being 18. The cifas marker stays for a year.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would be really surprised if OP genuinely had nothing to do with what occurred.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • KjDot
    KjDot Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Update: I am still awaiting a response from Cifas, another question is will this affect me from going on holiday around Christmas time?
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What has a CIFAS marker got to do with driving or having a holiday?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What has a CIFAS marker got to do with driving or having a holiday?
    Perhaps OP is visualising arriving at a foreign airport to be greeted with the business end of an array of submachine guns or (perhaps worse) burly border guards snapping on rubber gloves, ahead of immediate deportation? Seems somewhat unlikely that they'll be particularly close to the top of Interpol's 'most wanted' list though....
  • KjDot
    KjDot Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Sweet one love you guy!!!8252;!!!65039;
  • its_all_over
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Check your report with 1 of the credit agencies but ignore the score.

Will you be able to drive, well who knows, if you have the money then yes as you can buy the car in cash, if you need to borrow the money then you might be unlucky with only being 18.

The cifas marker stays for a year.

I think CIFAS markers changed to being valid for 6 years some time ago.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think CIFAS markers changed to being valid for 6 years some time ago.

Thanks I knew that but no idea what I was thinking when I made the reply.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 12:50PM
    Options
    There is no credit score, that is just a bit of fun offered by the credit reference companies.

I always find that a little misleading.

You are right in that don't have a single credit score, but every single company that looks at your credit history gives you a defacto score which you never see. They each have slightly different ways of scoring you, which the credit reference companies try to give an overall indication of in their scores.

This might be what you're indicating when you're saying that it's "just a bit of fun", but they don't do it for fun. They do it because it actually helps, saying it's "just a bit of fun" doesn't help.
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I would be really surprised if OP genuinely had nothing to do with what occurred.

Whether this is one of those "someone paid me money to use my account and told me to report the card stolen a few months later and now I have a CIFAS marker because the bank won't believe my lies", or whether the card was lost along with a phone that contained the PIN, the bank has come to the view that the OP has facilitated fraud which may have cost them a lot of money.

I would read the T&C carefully because not reporting the card missing and storing the card pin code on your mobile phone will probably be in violation of the T&C of the account.

It's a hard lesson. The worse thing is that the person laundering the money is unlikely to get caught and will keep doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure