Should I Transfer My Final Salary Pension Fund?

Hi Everyone,

I have a final salary Avesta Polarit (formerly British Steel) pension which has been frozen (deferred) since February 2006. I am 59 years old (60 on 30th Nov). I was made redundant before I was 50, so I did not receive my full pension. I will not get my full pension until I am 65 on 30/11/2023. I can access it when I want, but I will lose 5% for each year under 65 years old. For example, I would lose 25% if I was to access it when I'm 60. My last transfer valuation was on 28th June 2017 and was £406,407. My early retirement options on 14th Sept 2017 were: Option 1: A pension of £12,281 pa, a spouse pension of £6,140 pa without a lump sum payment. Option 2: A lump sum of £55,936, a pension of £8,391 pa and a spouse pension on death of £6,140. These figures would increase the longer I wait. I don't know what I would get when I'm 65.

I know a few people who are in the same boat as me who have taken the decision to transfer their pension fund into either a private pension or an annuity scheme. I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not you should do this. I have spoken to a financial advisor and she says I should definitely transfer it. She makes it seem like a no-brainer. I'm just worried that she could be telling me this so that she will get commission. I'm hoping that's not the case, but you can never be sure.

I'm due to get another transfer value on 28th June this year and I've made arrangements to see her again when I get my transfer value. In the meantime, I would appreciate any feedback on this forum from anyone who can give an educated view on this. Thank you.

David

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a final salary Avesta Polarit (formerly British Steel) pension which has been frozen (deferred) since February 2006. I am 59 years old (60 on 30th Nov). I was made redundant before I was 50, so I did not receive my full pension. I will not get my full pension until I am 65 on 30/11/2023. I can access it when I want, but I will lose 5% for each year under 65 years old. For example, I would lose 25% if I was to access it when I'm 60. My last transfer valuation was on 28th June 2017 and was £406,407. My early retirement options on 14th Sept 2017 were: Option 1: A pension of £12,281 pa, a spouse pension of £6,140 pa without a lump sum payment. Option 2: A lump sum of £55,936, a pension of £8,391 pa and a spouse pension on death of £6,140. These figures would increase the longer I wait. I don't know what I would get when I'm 65.

I know a few people who are in the same boat as me who have taken the decision to transfer their pension fund into either a private pension or an annuity scheme. I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not you should do this. I have spoken to a financial advisor and she says I should definitely transfer it. She makes it seem like a no-brainer. I'm just worried that she could be telling me this so that she will get commission. I'm hoping that's not the case, but you can never be sure.

I'm due to get another transfer value on 28th June this year and I've made arrangements to see her again when I get my transfer value. In the meantime, I would appreciate any feedback on this forum from anyone who can give an educated view on this. Thank you.

David

Too many unknowns at present. e.g. attitude to risk, investment experience, other assets, fallback options, marital status and so on.

I've recommended transfers with similar figures, and recommended not transferring with similar figures. It's certainly not a "no brainier". The decision to transfer is likely to be one of the most significant financial decisions you ever make.

I would find another adviser, who will undertake some proper analysis, and talk you through the pros and cons as they apply to you ( i.e. not generic) before you even consider a transfer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And make sure that they are an Independent Financial Advisor
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    HappyHarry wrote: »

I would find another adviser, who will undertake some proper analysis, and talk you through the pros and cons as they apply to you ( i.e. not generic) before you even consider a transfer.

In fairness to the IFA consulted by OP, it sounds as if she was given a transfer value which was out of its guarantee period, so there would have been no merit in charging OP around £600 for a transfer value analysis.

OP - once you get your new transfer value, send it straight on to the IFA. It is only guaranteed for 3 months and if you don't take a decision on whether or not to transfer out, and the scheme(s) to which you wish to transfer, the value will lapse and you will have to start again with an updated transfer value - which could be a year away.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Brynsam wrote: »
    In fairness to the IFA consulted by OP, it sounds as if she was given a transfer value which was out of its guarantee period, so there would have been no merit in charging OP around £600 for a transfer value analysis.
    I have spoken to a financial advisor and she says I should definitely transfer it. She makes it seem like a no-brainer.

How can an IFA make comments like that without doing some detailed analysis?

The FCA very clearly state that an adviser should start from the assumption that a DB pension transfer will be unsuitable. The adviser in question here seems to be a long way from that assumption, and that should worry the OP.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Bimbly
    Bimbly Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It is very rare that a person is better off transferring a pension that will pay a guaranteed income every year until you die in exchange for a pot of money that can run out.

That's not to say that, for a few people, the pot is better. Maybe they have a terminal illness and simply won't be around to spend that guaranteed income. Maybe they have other pensions and just want to cash in one of them.

It is down to individual circumstances and we don't know thise circumstances. What would you live on between ages 60 and 65? Just a salary from work? Do you have savings?

Having said that, it appears the transfer value you are being offered is 33% of what your annual pension would be (my maths) which is generous. Just be very careful, as a lot of British Steel workers have regretted transferring their pensions. Hopefully, the regulators have got rid of the shysters, but you need to be very sure.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2018 at 9:14AM
    Bimbly wrote: »
    It is very rare that a person is better off transferring a pension that will pay a guaranteed income every year until you die in exchange for a pot of money that can run out.
    It's not remotely close to being rare, it's more like the normal situation. Fifteen years ago transfer values were far lower than they are today and it was much less likely to be a good idea to transfer than it is today.

Today it can normally provide substantially higher starting income, using rules that no UK investment performance in the last 120+ years would have led to running out of money,. It can start higher until the state pension starts and much guaranteed income can be purchased by deferring claiming the state pension. It can also be arranged to match the usual spending decline as people get older and use that to increase income while young.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    jamesd wrote: »
    It's not remotely close to being rare, it's more like the normal situation. Fifteen years ago transfer values were far lower than they are today and it was much less likely to be a good idea to transfer than it is today.

One case in ten is not "the normal situation". Transfer values are abnormally high at present. Only a tiny number of transfers that would have been unsuitable five years ago become suitable just because the transfer value has been bumped up a bit. The punter's attitude to risk, spending needs and other sources of guaranteed income will not have changed, and those are all far more important than how many times the annual income divides into the CETV.

The "transferring out of a DB scheme is suitable one time in ten" figure is across all time periods. That tiny number of transfers which were unsuitable five years ago but are now suitable thanks to CETVs being bumped up a bit fall within the one in ten figure.
    Today it can normally provide substantially higher starting income, using rules that no UK investment performance in the last 120+ years would have led to running out of money.
    A miniscule percentage of people transferring out of DB schemes will apply Guyton-Klinger rules religiously throughout the duration of their retirement, so how many people would have run out of money using Guyton-Klinger rules is of no relevance to the question of how often it is suitable for someone to transfer out of a DB scheme.

Re the OP, it is possible that the IFA knows he has £35,000-odd of guaranteed income from other sources or something else he hasn't told us that would make it a "no-brainer". If the IFA knows nothing except the figures in the OP's post then the OP should be on their guard.
  • jamesd
    I am 59 years old (60 on 30th Nov). I was made redundant before I was 50, so I did not receive my full pension. I will not get my full pension until I am 65 on 30/11/2023. I can access it when I want, but I will lose 5% for each year under 65 years old. For example, I would lose 25% if I was to access it when I'm 60. My last transfer valuation was on 28th June 2017 and was £406,407. My early retirement options on 14th Sept 2017 were: Option 1: A pension of £12,281 pa, a spouse pension of £6,140 pa without a lump sum payment. Option 2: A lump sum of £55,936, a pension of £8,391 pa and a spouse pension on death of £6,140.
    I have spoken to a financial advisor and she says I should definitely transfer it. She makes it seem like a no-brainer. I'm just worried that she could be telling me this so that she will get commission.
    An IFA would be paid a fee whether they recommended transferring or not. It's not a no-brainer but in purely financial terms you're likely to be a good deal better off by transferring.

The difficulties aren't the financial things but whether it suits your temperament and overall circumstances.

Finance first, though. Your transfer value is about 33 times the income and that's fairly typical these days.

If the Guyton-Klinger drawdown rules are used with 60% equities (shares) the initial UK safe withdrawal rate for a 40 year retirement is 5% of the pot size after deducting 30% of total costs of 1.5%. That means starting on £20,320 a year.

The starting on bit is important. Those drawdown rules try to get more income than older rules but to achieve that they will skip inflation increases after a bad year for investment performance. In really bad times they make outright cuts. It's unlikely that your income would fall below the DB income level but it is possible if you happen to live through very bad investing times. In average investing times or better income is likely to increase instead.

You can protect yourself from the lower end of the result range in several ways:

1. You can defer claiming your state pension. It'll be increased by 5.8% a year. If you do this for five years and start with the single tier state pension at 8500 a year this adds 2465 of guaranteed income for life at a cost of 42500. If you have a spouse you could fund the same for them, it's often a good way to get them useful guaranteed income. Say you have a spouse in the same situation, you could both defer for 8 years at a cost of 68000 each, 136000 combined, and get extra state pension for each of you of 3944, 7888 combined. I chose that to be similar to option 2s 8391 of guaranteed income.

2. Buying annuities with some of the money. These start to become good value in your 80s if your life expectancy is normal but if it's lower they can offer good value at younger ages. The level type that doesn't increase with inflation is by far the most popular, accounting for almost 90% of purchases. No inflation increases means it starts out paying more and in spending power gradually declines, helping to match the normal spending decline as people get older.

You probably don't really want to start on 20320 then get say 8500 more when your state pension starts. More early on so its fairly level tends to be more useful. Easy enough to arrange a top-up for 7 years. Say you want an extra 8000 a year that'd cost 8000 * 7 = 56000 of capital. That reduces the long term income by 5% of 56000, so 2800 a year less. So you'd start on 20320 - 2800 + 8000 = 25520 and later have 20320 - 2800 +8500 = 26020 with the state pension included.

I've assumed that you need the income now and want to exploit the flexibility of a transfer to have more income early on, at the cost of a possibly reducing long term income as you get older if you live through bad investing times.
  • jamesd
    edited 20 June 2018 at 10:45AM
    Non-financial things now. This is what ultimately is likely to make it a good or bad idea for you as an individual.

Investing first. Investments naturally go up and down in value. 1% daily value changes are pretty much routine and that's 4000 a day. Longer term you can expect times when shares drop 20% or 40% in a bad year. That's 80000 or 160000 down for a while. And that's quite a gut check for an inexperienced investor. Could you deal with that and still be able to sleep?

You don't actually have to because you'd normally include other investments in the mixture, like corporate and government bonds. Those don't move as much and if 40% of your money is in them they roughly halve the drop potential. The 5% I used in the previous post assumes this 40% is used. Even so, the drops will from time to time be around 80-90000 in a bad bear market.

This stuff isn't challenging for the drawdown rules, it's not even bad times for them. In the UK the really bad times were experienced by someone who retired a few years before the second world war and the great depression era was also quite bad. It's those truly horrible times that the rules have to cope with, not relatively benign things like 2008 or the dot-com bust. You can read more about this at What Returns Are Safe Withdrawal Rates REALLY Based Upon?

Even though the rules can handle it, can you? I don't know and trying to assess this is key to working out whether you'll be happy with drawdown or not. Higher income does you no good if you can't sleep.

State pension deferral and spending some of the money on annuities can help a lot with this. It can be much easier to relax if there's enough guaranteed income to cover your basic needs.

Between the investment choices and guaranteed income possibilities there's considerable scope to customise things for your own situation and preferences but it still might not be enough.

I've assumed that you aren't an experienced investor and will need ongoing investment advice. If you are experienced you're more likely to be able to deal with the drops because you'll have seen them before with your own money at stake.

Your life expectancy is also a big factor. If it's a lot lower than usual that tends to improve the chance of transferring being a good move. Sometimes transferring and immediately buying an annuity can produce a higher income.

Desire to protect a spouse can also be a factor because the starting position is them getting 100% of the income after your death. State pension deferring and annuity buying can modify this.

Desire to leave an inheritance can also be a factor, since a final salary pension vanishes after the second death, while the remainder of a drawdown pot is there to be inherited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure