What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019?

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    HK, I can't believe the missing kitty was almost 2 years ago :eek:
    Lots of love to the poorlies - hope that you're on the mend soon, and CLF well done on getting all that rubbish sorted out.
    I had a night off from internet and crochet last night just because I'd been accused of being really grumpy at work - and I did feel quite tired so I decided that enough was enough and I had to rest myself. So dd and I just watched some telly together, snuggled under a blanket which was a good relaxer for me.
    I've managed a couple of nsds in a row, and seem to be getting into the swing of using things up that are in rather than giving in to getting a takeaway or popping to the shops. I used a pot of porridge yesterday that ds refused to touch after promising he would eat it, and I convinced him to pack extra snacks to take to school so he wouldn't go spending cash on food between finishing school and us getting home.
    Not much progress on the frog list. Crossed 1 off yesterday, but I'm still just busy. Got home from work at half four and have done another hour and a half as soon as I got in. Too much to do and not enough hours in the day but I'll get there.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Evening all :hello: RL a bit busy last couple of days. Feels like first time I've sat down (not in front of work PC) since the weekend!

I've been keeping the faith, being busy sort of has that effect I find. However, wins have included:

Being thankful for a vet piggy as we needed money for cat yesterday. I will see if I can claim on insurance but I'm not hopeful. Have to buy special food for 6 months too but as it's dried and portion controlled shouldn't work out too expensive.
    Used half a tub of cheese sauce from freezer
    Up to date with washing
    Checked banking, hanging in there to be as frugal as possible
    Updated food spends, looking good 10 days in
    Package up another return and put in my car
    Long walk tonight with friend
    Messaged a couple of friends and e mailed another about something
    To do:
    Write meal plan for next week using what we have, write small list of fresh items if I have package up a fleabay sale, move money to my 1p account :D
    Dream of Stilton and walnut scones and see if I have time to make them before tea. Thanks dawn:D

Have a good evening everyone. Purps.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Belated Greetings Frugalistas,
    Rubbish night's sleep - really feeling it now so shan't be too late in bed! Go me, it's wild in our house!
    *Did meal plans for next week inc 2 new recipes to try & resurrected an old one.
    *Write shopping list - still need to do this as all I've done so far is establish that we don't need loo roll, washing up liquid or loo cleaner!
    *Spent all day sorting & redoing my home admin files, inc all our financial stuff.
    *Freeze spare portion of tonight's lentil & mushroom gratin.
    *Knit more sleeve.
    *Updated DFW diary.
    *Stood old mascara tube in a mug of hot water to soften it up sufficiently to use. As I thought, lots left in there.
    Ok, knitting time (tho should be doing that boring shopping list).
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Dickenslass
    Options
    Evening all!
    Rubbish sleep here too, just long hours at work really. In bed already and about to turn (this) screen off! Your dinner sounds nice foxgloves, might try that myself as we usually have lentils in!
    Grateful to friend for lift tonight, taxi would have been covered by work but a faff to claim back and v expensive. Also had a lot of awkward boxes!
    PAD to debt, rounded down credit balance in account. Can see why folk do it..,feels good! I’ve broken through a thousand marker yesterday, I think (there are multiple more to go!).
    B/L from yesterday’s stores at work
    D was leftovers from the weekend, which in turn were freezer haul use it ups from the odds and ends drawer. Refreshed the pasta in hot water uber-briefly, it was ok. Satisfying to use up anyway!
    Heating all still off as lodger gone for w/e now, hwb will do me tonight.
    Banked Xmas cheque yesterday. Glad to get that done - then paid straight to debt.
    Taxi into work tomorrow, not much option with all these boxes, but claimable and to closer office.
    Xmas tree is doing well outside. It’s in a pot and isn’t the largest, but has been ours for five years now. I do enjoy the real tree smell. Did anyone else hear the r4 prog last weekend (I think, may have been earlier) about eating your Xmas tree? One of the recipes was using the needles to flavour custard I think, apparently a bit vanilla like. I missed the other recipe idea... but thought of us all on here!
  • merida88
    merida88 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

Anyone else really struggling to stay motivated this week? Even the smallest things are really feeling a bit much at the moment!

Update from yesterday:
    merida88 wrote: »
    - SMALL top up shop ready for OH arriving home tomorrow - stick to list - er, almost. A pack of yum yums jumped into the basket when I wasn't looking. I *was* feeling rather desperately in need of a small treat yesterday though, for reasons I won't go into here/now.
    - change bedlinen x2 lots - nope. Got fresh bedlinen out for our bed this morning, will try and do it at lunchtime
    - all meals and snacks from stores (ham, ham and more ham) - let's not mention the sneaky yum yums :o
    - radiators - DONE :D

Today:
    - meals and snacks from stores (ham again :rotfl:)
    - plan weekend jobs and activities (ironing and a tip run may be involved, such thrills :D)
    - CHANGE BEDLINEN AND TOWELS
    - get key back from neighbour to give to new dog walker

Best of wishes for everyone's days :)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    Over the last few days I have, returned somethings I ordered before Christmas, stuck to the meal plan, dried washing on airers & moving airers in front of the fire when we go to bed if we have had the fire on, kept a record of all spends in free RM survey diary, when I went shopping on Wednesday I stuck to my list, most of the children's home education has been free - only spends have been planned, finally made the muesli & was complemented on the recipe, which was based on ingredients in our favourite from Aldi, I buy the ingredients wholesale and it works out even cheaper.

My normal grocery shopping days are Monday and Wednesday, once in Aldi & once in Lidl. I write one list for the week and separate it between the two stores depending on which we prefer from each. Monday I do the bulk of the shopping and Wednesday is often only a couple of things. Both shops take place whilst the children attend HE groups & the Wednesday shop gives me free parking.

Today we are off to see OH parents, we will have L & D there.

Todays list:
    Make bread
    Soak porridge
    Check bank accounts
    Look at how to return hoddie
    Renew library loans

Hopefully I will have more to add.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • TubbyDown
    Options
    Lunch at work is the killer for me, i need to start prepping meals and bringing them in. When your spending £6/£7 a day on food it really adds up!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2019 at 7:45PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Welcome TubbyDown - good idea to get those lunch spends down! :)
    Up early due to coughing - another cold :(
    Anyway, I am determined not to waste the day! So far I have:
    Washed hair with ever-lasting (or so it seems) shampoo bar
    Had cooked HG fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit

Checked bank accounts
    Strained off stock from slow cooker, wrapped and binned the bones, and boiled the stock down to concentrate it a bit more. Will freeze once it cools. Now I will have 3 or 4 neat trays of lamb stock, instead of a huge bag of bones taking up loads of space in the freezer :eek: 3 compact foil trays, now in freezer :)

Now sat with another coffee (which I suspect will feature strongly today!) and then I will:
    Go outside and treat new wooden plant trough with preservative - a water based one that won't harm the dog, wildlife or the environment :) I dislike the colour, and would like to buy a different one, but this is what I have, and it will be used up before I buy any more! Done, but I will need to hose / brush the patio down tomorrow to get rid of the drips of orange gunk :eek: Mercifully, it soon tones down outside in the weather!

Lunch and dinner will be from what we have in - no spends planned today, though OH will be spending a bit as he is playing golf (already paid for in his membership) but will no doubt have a coffee afterwards with his friends in the clubhouse - which is actually really cheap - so not much damage expected there tbh. Made the veggie curry I have been muttering about all week for dinner. Spicy and yummy (and cheap) :) Finished off the jelly / OOD trifle sponge combo for pudding, and that was nice as well.
    Ought to do some housework somewhere along the line :(Hoovered sitting room, dining room, hall, kitchen and conservatory and mopped floors :T
    Will be back later to confess any lack of progress!
    Quite pleased with progress today, but not feeling so great now, and it won't be a late night!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    I'm not moving at a fast pace at the minute.
    DD BF cooked last night before he went home with his own spice selection he had brought with him. The spicy food made really helped make me breathe easier, had a better nights sleep but back to being chesty today but not coughing so much.
    DD BF left late last night rather than go to bed and then get up to say goodbye i stayed up and made a cauliflower and broccoli cheese using leftovers ready for today as DD goes back to uni tomorrow so it's a final push to get leftovers sorted. Also have a lonely gammon steak which I will cook to go with the cauliflower cheese.

DD changed the bed last night and i have started to tackle the mount ironing everests. When I have been feeling cold rather than just put the heating up ive just done some ironing which has worked a treat in helping me sweat out the cold.

I'm trying to continue with my decluttering but have been rubbish so far. By saying hello to the ironing piles I have found 10 items that will go straight for clothes recycling, not good enough to go to the CS.
    I'm also slowly sorting out the airing cupboard so while strictly not money saving, it is keeping me from spending online- not that I need anything, still trying to save for the living room to be decorated

Going to top up on cat food cans at Tesc@ today-still 25p cheaper here.
    Banking all checked, everything good.

That's about it from me. DD wants to take me out for tea and cake today before she leaves tomorrow. Going to dig out the voucher I have for a free tea at the garden centre we like.

Have a good day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    merida88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone else really struggling to stay motivated this week? Even the smallest things are really feeling a bit much at the moment!

Best of wishes for everyone's days :)
    I think its the post Christmas blues here. Everything just seems harder when you're getting up in the dark and getting home in the dark I feel.

TubbyDown wrote: »
    Lunch at work is the killer for me, i need to start prepping meals and bringing them in. When your spending £6/£7 a day on food it really adds up!
    Hi and welcome TubbyDown, taking lunches from home saves us a fortune!

Hk & Dawn, I hope you're feeling better soon

:wave: to everyone else :)
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure