PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks Caronc I've always enjoyed soused fish so will try this next time I pick some up
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 8:05AM
    me too, I will buy herrings just for this dish

Breakfast is being cooked, I have eaten 2 flax crackers, they went limp overnight but would crisp if needed. I can see them being a good bread substitute. Halloumi, chard and tomatoes now, I can smell them, almost done. The organic halloumi from AnC first time bought from them, much firmer and no liquids.

I have 2 eggs out for lunch, likely to be hard boiled with sardines or mashed with anchovies and with salad. Rhubarb/strawberry compote being made soon for the freezer and I have some in the fridge for last meal with granola and yoghurt. Goosegog crumble and ice cream (small) for lunch pud.

Ok then, that is meals for today sorted. Good, now I can concentrate on other stuff like sorting notebooks and pruning the invicta gooseberry and one other, the other 4 are under nets and I cba lifting nets yet, will do them after picking. I may well go and strip some unripe berries from blackcurrants, a bunch at a time. I will get bigger fewer berries
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,

Sounds as though there could be a spate of "sousing" going on in CFO land:D
    My Dad was supposed to be coming for lunch today but isn't feeling great so we have deferred until he's feeling more like it. I had prepped a batch of Swedish style meatballs so I'll cook and freeze these.
    Lunch now will be soused herrings and salad. :D
    I think I'll take a piece of steak out of the freezer for tonight.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My mum used to souse herrings. The smell permeated the house and made me feel sick. I swear that reading this thread has somehow resuscitated that smell.
  • caronc
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    My mum used to souse herrings. The smell permeated the house and made me feel sick. I swear that reading this thread has somehow resuscitated that smell.
    Oh no :eek::eek:
    I can't say I noticed any pong when I got up but then again I like them:)
  • Sousing herrings - sounds like more cooking than my mother would have done when I was a child and a lot more cooking than she does these days:rotfl:

I remember:
    - sausages and (badly-cooked) chips and eggs
    - baked beans on toast
    -- fish fingers with whatever-else
    - spam:(
    - roast chicken/beef/pork with badly-boiled potatoes (with nothing on them) and overcooked limited range of vegetables
    - canned salmon sandwiches
    - canned spaghetti on toast
    - mincemeat (must have been boiled I think?:() presumably with overcooked potatoes/vegetables?
    - bacon (can't remember how)

Errrm....racks brains to think of other savoury things I ate as a child...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sousing herrings - sounds like more cooking than my mother would have done when I was a child and a lot more cooking than she does these days:rotfl:

I remember:
    - sausages and (badly-cooked) chips and eggs
    - baked beans on toast
    -- fish fingers with whatever-else
    - spam:(
    - roast chicken/beef/pork with badly-boiled potatoes (with nothing on them) and overcooked limited range of vegetables
    - canned salmon sandwiches
    - canned spaghetti on toast
    - mincemeat (must have been boiled I think?:() presumably with overcooked potatoes/vegetables?
    - bacon (can't remember how)

Errrm....racks brains to think of other savoury things I ate as a child...

Sounds like we are siblings some how, mine had the same "recipes", but she did add gravy to the dinner, gravy was one Oxo cube in water. I never knew it ever came in thicker versions

However the poor cooking seems to have died out over the generations,yesterday's veggie buffet over DDs was excellent, they have a wood fired pizza oven, clever clogs SIL built it himself
    The pizzas were all HM by them, including bases, really tasty

Today is back to reality, had a wee lie in and slob about until breakfast of porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt

Lunch, I've decided, because of my mouldy bread, to make some soda bread, which is now in the oven.
    If it works then lunch is chunks of warm soda bread, with cheese & some sweet onion chutney, sort of ploughman style. I can smell the bread as I type, fingers crossed & here's hoping
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • B17c
    B17c Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning! :T
    Haven't posted in a while but been lurking... I'm still cooking for one, been a bit complacent about being frugal, thrifty and gung ho about paying my debts off but I'm filled with renewed vigour..

Batch cooked a chicken tikka masala saag aloo combo and a lentil and bacon shepherds pie, might do a spaghetti bolognaise too and that should last a few days, I've frozen some portions too.
    Haven't eaten yet today but I'm thinking scrambled eggs and bacon on toast coz I need to use the last of the bread up.

Working later (I work nights) so will need to get some sleep in at some point, I'm doing overtime hopefully so that'll be 6pm til 6am
    Credit Card Debt:[STRIKE]£12991[/STRIKE] £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • caronc
    Sounds like the foods I ate growing up though they were well cooked which made all the difference.:)Fishfingers, tinned spaghetti etc. appeared less often though more frequently once we got a freezer. We did have a lot of fish though as my Dad worked at the fishmarket (part time and then later on full time ) and my Mum worked a few hours a week in a fishmongers once my brother started school. At the fishmarket things were sold in stones and half stones mainly and the end the odd bits LO or unsold were split amongst the workers. It's funny how things change as monkfish used to be unpopular (mainly used for fake scampi) so we had a lot of that.:cool: Large prawns were also less popular than they are now, the smaller one's were in demand for prawn cocktails so they appeared regularly as well. Hake, ling and pollock were seen by many as pet food :eek: so again they appeared. Between the fish supplies and the fact my great uncle was a ghillie so we got lots of game meant us kids longed for the things our pals ate like crispy pancakes!
  • caronc
    Farway wrote: »
    ....they have a wood fired pizza oven, clever clogs SIL built it himself
    The pizzas were all HM by them, including bases, really tasty
    I'm deeply jealous as I would really like one of those, I have a space it could go in too. Just the small matter of paying for it is holding me back, that and the reality check of often I might actually use it:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback