Millionaire Challenge

Comments

• Listerbelle
    Listerbelle Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the welcome, lessonlearned! :)

I’d love to get the group’s opinion on investing in trainings and additional qualifications as a long-term way of increasing salary? I'm looking to increase my salary at the same time as curbing my spending and increasing saving habits, and my current way of thinking is that investing in the occasional training course would be a good way to demonstrate additional value to an employer, though this obviously comes at a trade-off of some savings that month.

Yes, to some extent this is very worthwhile.

Please don't do what I did - gave up one career to return to uni to become a medical doctor....all up it cost me close to half a million pounds.
    Your biggest asset is TIME! I'm focused on multi-generational financial freedom.
  • Hi UltimateNYC

If it were me I would invest in training that would result in being your own boss in some way whether that is your own business, blogging or an online store. Even if it is only part time so that you are in control of your own destiny.

However much training you do to make yourself attractive to an employer it is them that are going to reap the profits from your hard work and ultimately at any time they decide you are surplus to requirements you are out of the door.

I wish I had taken this advice earlier it's scary when others control your financial well being.

Use your money to invest in your future not theirs.

DT xx
  • Listerbelle
    Hi UltimateNYC

If it were me I would invest in training that would result in being your own boss in some way whether that is your own business, blogging or an online store. Even if it is only part time so that you are in control of your own destiny.

However much training you do to make yourself attractive to an employer it is them that are going to reap the profits from your hard work and ultimately at any time they decide you are surplus to requirements you are out of the door.

I wish I had taken this advice earlier it's scary when others control your financial well being.

Use your money to invest in your future not theirs.

DT xx

This is an excellent point.

Additionally, remember that ultimately it is better to have a business that doesn't need you to be present - at least, not all the time.

A lot of people comment that they have their own business, but what they mean is that they are self-employed.

Best wishes
    Your biggest asset is TIME! I'm focused on multi-generational financial freedom.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sound advice on here!

The other thing I'd add, UltimateNYC, is that in the meantime you can look around for courses that your employer likes. Maybe they run their own training programme for some things? Do they want first aiders? Anything, really, that they'll supply for you that will come in handy for you in the future, whether self employed or employing other people. And free online course providers like Ted, Alison, Coursera, OpenLearn, it all helps.

You mentioned affiliated blogging - are you happy with your subject matter? Have you started yet? Its always exciting!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

I’m sorry to hear that education came at such a high financial cost Listerbelle. I don't really consider myself an academic anymore, so I don't think a degree at this stage is an option. I hope you got some benefit from it though, after all that.

I really appreciate your sincerity, Double Trouble. It is scary when your destiny is controlled by others, so I'm looking at trainings that have a high degree of transferable skill, and then at ways of demonstrating these through the blog I am in the process of setting up. I very much enjoy writing, for both my own pleasure and to (hopefully!) amuse others (and if I can earn a pound or two to go toward that million benchmark, all the better!). As such I am enrolled in one or two courses that will hopefully benefit me professionally and personally long term.

Thanks for the online learning areas Karmacat! Had a quick look at openlearn, and a few courses have immediately popped out as being helpful toward my writing development, and so hopefully contribute toward that magic million!

Thanks again everyone! Bowled away by the support so far! Hopefully I can contribute toward something for you all soon!
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2014 at 3:44PM
    what do you mean when you say about running a business who does not need you there ? btw I am a long term lurker.
    I am at the moment a sahm looking after my 20 months old daughter. Iam doing some courses with Udemy so hopefully can work from home in the future and also trying to set up a business in the future.
    It is hard to find a niche. I have been looking for one for very long time but I think i found it and will start shortly.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    morocha wrote: »
    what do you mean when you say about running a business who does not need you there ?

Basically it can mean a few things:

- Get the business set up then pay someone else to run it for you. Maybe you'd make more money if you didn't have to pay them, but you're getting passive income without putting the effort in.

- Alternatively, if you have a website with affiliate links etc - yes you need to maintain it but when you're not 'on there' it still ticks along earning small amounts. This is different to having a ebay shop etc where orders come in when you're not there as you still have to physically fulfil the orders.

- Buy to let doesn't require you to be there either.

Have a read at this book, then this one (get them from the library obviously ;)) - you're basically looking to get other people to earn your money for you :T, better than working for a living :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Listerbelle
    morocha wrote: »
    what do you mean when you say about running a business who does not need you there ?

gallygirl has answered this.

The real crux of the matter is, why would you want to have your own business? Most people have thoughts along the lines of

***To be in charge of your life and destiny etc.

***Ultimately "to be happy".

Is working 60-120 hours a week going to make you happy?

What if you could spend that time however you wished - with family, travelling, volunteering, gardening, whatever...because the money still lands in your account.

Being "hands off" permits financial freedom to enable you to do whatever you want or don't want with your time.

Best wishes and good luck!!

PS - remember it is not the money you earn but the money you hold onto that makes a financial difference longterm...
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Thanks girls, i just bought the first book for £2.81, not bad at all.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Guys,

Super busy!! Wanted to drop this off since you're on the subject.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2014/08/26/smart-passive-income-10-top-tips-from-expert-pat-flynn/

I started of reading this thinking yea but I'd never think of a topic...then I realised I already had with my youtube videos.

I'm more sure then ever this is going to be the big one. I shall probably update you guys after Christmas!
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback