PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sue it means finish at the end of the frond or the back, it's so you start shaping on different sides. Left and Right.

HTH
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did say it was a numpty question, and after posting I realised that I could work it out, because I know which front is which, and which is the seam edge and which is the buttons / buttonhole edge, because of the position of the pockets. So since the first thing I do is cast off, I do that on the seam side. Whichever is front and back at the time ...

However I managed to consult some knitters IRL this afternoon, and they said that if it says 'finish on the right side' then I should finish an odd / knit row and then do whatever it says, and vice versa. I will check this out before putting into action because they agreed that unpicking mohair is no fun!!!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It wont hurt to do one more row don't pull it out. You always have to do one more row on the left then the right. It just worded it differently and that was what threw you.
  • Savvy Sue, unpicking mohair is a bit of a pest, and because of the fluffiness t it can sometimes be hard to tell which side is which until you are into the shaping, when it becomes obvious. One way to be sure is to mark the right side with a contrast thread, the ends dangling on that side.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've just unpicked one row of cast-off in mohair on 2.50mm needles. I am now blind and mad!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy Sue, unpicking mohair is a bit of a pest, and because of the fluffiness t it can sometimes be hard to tell which side is which until you are into the shaping, when it becomes obvious. One way to be sure is to mark the right side with a contrast thread, the ends dangling on that side.
    that's a good idea. I know which side is which, although I'm not convinced there is a visible difference ... or that anyone but me will spot where the pattern went a bit wrong!
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I am thinking of taking up Knitting, my Mum showed me how to knit many years ago, but the thought of sitting still and having to concentrate put me off.
    But Knitting seems to be a trendy thing to do now and having looked online at "celebrity" Knitters I have found a couple of beginners kits.
    I know the initial outlay is not really money saving but I have to start somewhere.
    I also want to get Myself sort of hobby and have lost my Mum last month I would like to do something to take my mind off the doom and gloom.
    Any Knitters out there with any advice would be very well received.
    SPC 037
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Can you look for a Knit n Natter group or a knitting circle? It's an awful lot easier to learn in person from somebody sat beside you. You'll find knitting really soothing and addictive! xx
  • I have always found a good booklet designed for kids for learning to knit is good when you are trying on your own after your teacher has gone away. Just google it, you are bound to find one. The YouTube videos are very good you are bound to find someone you find the best for you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    I'd second both those suggestions: and if you find a group you will probably also find someone with a stash of yarn they'd be willing to share for small projects.

I'm another who took up knitting after my mother's death: it helped that I inherited a stash of yarn - and there was a LOT! I have the mohair and the sock wool but as you can see I've done quite a bit more than that. Currently need to update my signature as the hand warmers are now on hold in favour of a chemo hat for someone. :-(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure