We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Terrariums! Any love for them?

Options
I have been trying to make my own terrarium.
Anyone got any tips on plant choice and the best kind of jars for them?

Would love to give my friends a terrarium for christmas! Save some money on presents haha

Comments

• RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    `We made a load of Christmas terraria! Absolute nightmare to find cork topped jars of an appropriate size. We ended up in IKEA. But you can get "proper" terrarium jars in TK Maxx, and Mason style jars (where you can crack it open a little bit for ventilation) from from Home Bargains. You can get activated charcoal in the pet shop (it's in the bird section - apparently you give it to parrots to aid digestion - who knew?) and of course you can get aquarium gravel there too.You can also get stones and sand in IKEA. By the time we bought all the gear, it'd have been cheaper to buy presents...
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bought a ready done one from Peony and love it.

It is primarily greenery with an orchid in it and for xmas I have dressed it with rice lights.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RichyRich wrote: »
    You can get activated charcoal in the pet shop (it's in the bird section - apparently you give it to parrots to aid digestion - who knew?)

Not me and I've kept parrots for 25 odd years! How strange. I used to put activated carbon in aquarium filters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure