Do you think this fireplace will support a wood burner?

2»

Comments

• Nick_Higg
    Nick_Higg Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for looking! Its only 10 years old, so it should be in good condition!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bris wrote: »
    Get it smoke bombed, a gas safe registered engineer can tell you if the chimney meets the regulations.

Gas safe - for a wood burner? :huh:

For a solid fuel appliance, you need a HETAS member to have a look at it.

The chances are, you'll need a stainless steel liner. However, you might get lucky and find that the chimney was built lined - in which case you could save a few hundred pounds.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Nick_Higg
    Do you need a liner even if the flue is in god condition?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The trick with solid fuel burners is to have good draught control. Liners matched to a fire will make it easier to control. My liner is only 5" but it pulls like a train when I need it to; like this morning, when the fire went from virtually dead to roaring in 5 minutes, despite wind being almost non-existent.

When I used the chimney unlined with my old fire, I didn't have the same amount of control, but I can't be sure that it wasn't also down to having a naff stove.

This is where the advice of someone experienced will be useful; preferably someone who doesn't just wasnt to flog you a liner!

This page explains it better than I can:

https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.co.uk/pages/what-is-a-chimney-liner-and-do-i-need-one
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 9:07AM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's real enough.

It ought to be in very good condition, but you would need the opinion of an installer regarding the need for a flue liner. I ran my last wood burner in a 45year old concrete flue of about 9" diameter with no problems, but each situation's different.

Not a good chimney, but it has lasted 10 years. My intuition is with that standard of detailing and construction the flaunching will be shot away by now. It would be prudent to get it checked out if a flue liner is going to be installed. Consider getting scaffolding erected so the chimney can be properly checked and rebuilt if required.
  • Nick_Higg
    why do you say it's not a good chimney? All the pointing looks fine to me - it can't need rebuilding after just 10 years surely?
  • Furts
    Nick_Higg wrote: »
    why do you say it's not a good chimney? All the pointing looks fine to me - it can't need rebuilding after just 10 years surely?

I have seen worse, but the fact remains it was never well built in the first place. From the inadequate corbel detail, to the water staining down the render, to the lack of a drip detail, to the wrong folds with the lead detail, to ... you get the idea. But the 10 year guarantee will have expired, so any defects and rebuilding cannot be pushed towards the new build warranty provider. All round a cause for investigation.

The fact that I have mentioned flaunching and you have ignored this is a little concerning. Likewise your feed back on pointing - I did not mention this, though you will clearly see the weeps are inconsistent. But in general that is why a full survey gets commissioned before purchase.
  • Nick_Higg
    I didn't mention the flaunching coz I can't see it from the ground, but I appreciate your other comments - I shall certainly direct the surveyor to take a look. Thanks!
  • Furts
    Nick_Higg wrote: »
    I didn't mention the flaunching coz I can't see it from the ground, but I appreciate your other comments - I shall certainly direct the surveyor to take a look. Thanks!

Also be realistic here. Whether surveyors have the knowledge to recognise any issues with the chimney opens up a can of worms topic for discussion. In theory, somebody designed, inspected and signed off his chimney and it could be much better. Which means some qualified folks in all this could have been more professional!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure