Advents 2019 (sorry, please vote on other thread)

Comments

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well, we could do the Advents thread as normal, and as suggested get a few volunteers to handle a specific sub-category.

So whoever's doing the web entry's will add the main Advent sticky thread ... then whoevers doing Twitter can add a couple of blank replies, then Facebook, 2 empty replies ... that way it's all in the same thread and their posts can be edited to add the posts.

It's all a mute discussion though if there are no volunteers, so are there any?

I've done it the last few years but I don't think I'll have time to do it this year, bit early to say at the moment though.
  • cornishpasty1
    cornishpasty1 Posts: 27,908
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    #StaySafe
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year
  • cornishpasty1
    Forumite
    Well, we could do the Advents thread as normal, and as suggested get a few volunteers to handle a specific sub-category.

So whoever's doing the web entry's will add the main Advent sticky thread ... then whoevers doing Twitter can add a couple of blank replies, then Facebook, 2 empty replies ... that way it's all in the same thread and their posts can be edited to add the posts.

I've done it the last few years but I don't think I'll have time to do it this year, bit early to say at the moment though.

No volunteers to my knowledge. I won't even be in the country most of December so I can't help at all, and even if this thread does become where they pick up Advents I won't be able to make any amendments to the post, so hopefully we'll decide what's happening at the end of the 7 day poll and we can instigate it.

Thanks for your help in previous years sleepjones :beer:
    #StaySafe
  • cornishpasty1
    Forumite
    #StaySafe
  • avvie
    avvie Posts: 6,520
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Painkiller wrote: »
    Option 4: An advent sub-board with no advent thread, then you would be able to sort the advent threads and do searches specific to them.

I love this idea, an advent sub-board would be a big help! Especially for those people who only come here for advents, saves them searching through all comps! Having them in one place is easy and convenient!
    October2022 Wins -2 ~Tshirt x2 2022 Wins ~ 5 *TShirtx3*7UP*ChupaChupsBundle
  • avvie
    avvie Posts: 6,520
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2019 at 4:08PM

I've never volunteered in the past, but if someone who has can let me know what needs to be done i would be happy to volunteer! I like the idea of splitting it into sections like you have suggested, split Facebook, Twitter etc between the volunteers!

So if it gets split this way i would be happy to volunteer!
    October2022 Wins -2 ~Tshirt x2 2022 Wins ~ 5 *TShirtx3*7UP*ChupaChupsBundle
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I always work from back of thread, use the thanks to mark where I am up to and drag and drop into my own folders.

Even though I have done the advent list a few times myself I never use the front page.

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,289
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 6 November 2019 at 8:16AM
    I would not mind helping input items onto a main thread for the advents.
    I would prefer web comps - I do not use twitter or Instagram enough.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2019 at 3:37PM
    I assume a lot of people don't look at A posts until at least near the end of November, so only comps that are listed with a December end date should have an A otherwise they will be missed by anyone who organises the board by (alphabetical) end date and/or skips the As until then?

The current Entertainer comp is sort of an Advent comp (it runs weekly until 24th Dec), but I've posted the first 3 weeks separately each week using an E not an A so far, as otherwise I think end daters would miss out? Hope that's ok? :)

Although, would it be best changed to an A once it gets to week 7 as that will end within December (as if left as an E it might get missed in the Advent chaos instead!)? Does everyone start checking A posts by late Nov/early Dec (even end daters) anyway?

I suppose by still posting it weekly with an A in December though it would sort of make it an "enter once" advent instead (and if something is "enter once" then it sort of doesn't really need to be an advent at all?!).

By contrast to the rest of the year (when a new post each week is best because it works for end daters), weekly advents tend to be posted once and bumped weekly. Is that because a lot of end daters change tactics during the advents and tend to look at A posts earlier than usual, so it ends up being easier for everyone to just bookmark/keep track of one thread than looking/finding a new post for each week?

Or would it be better for A to be only used on advents that are daily (or weekday) and anything weekly just be left with a new post each week still using E instead?

Just want to set things up in whichever way is easiest, so no-one misses out :)

Week 3 is here for anyone who hasn't been entering so far:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6065464&highlight=entertainer
  • cornishpasty1
    Forumite
    #StaySafe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income