Burp cloths

Hi, I would like to make a stack of burp cloths for my daughter to use when her baby arrives.
Can you mums and dads please tell me if you have used one?
Are they useful?
Do you prefer double contoured, contoured on one side or all straight rectangular?
Also, last question! Waterproof backed terry or not?
I've got lots of pretty cottons to back them with.
Thanks for your help.
Norn Iron Club member 473

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi

With my daughter I used hand towels however when she burped she brought back alot of milk & so smaller clothes were insufficient.
    For me it was the absorbancy of the fabric & then how easy to wash & dry.

Jen
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hank's, I made a bundle of waterproof backed fine terry cloths today but I'm thinking I'll do a load of soft flannel ones with pretty backing next.
    And then maybe bibs!.

Pros and cons of flat bibs versus bandana style anyone?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I just used muslin squares, readily available, in a variety of colours and white. Easily washable, quick to dry, big enough to throw over the shoulder of any adult. I can't see the benefit of anything double layered TBH, it will just take longer to dry.

Anything with a plastic backing is a no-no, the plastic just traps the moisture and plastic backed bibs lead to nasty under-chin skin irritations
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    +1 for muslin. Not only does it wash & dry & fold & generally usually manage to be in the right place at the right time, it takes a lot of use.

With happy memories of knotting a muslin to make a figure to play with while waiting for the jab monitoring time to pass... (I'd forgotten the bubble mixture.)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We used muslins too. I liked the flexibility of them - you can use one layer to wipe a dirty face or 4 layers to mop up a flood wave!

I wouldn't use anything waterproof as you'll make them harder to wash and slower to dry.

If you already have the fabric, I'd just make them like muslins. They'll be used for loads of things but that bit nicer as they're home made.
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I didn't use anything waterproof at the early days, you can't dry it and it takes long to dry, not soft enough for newborn. Like others I used muslins to clean up, cover baby, play with. Muslins are light, they don't take a lot of space and they are so versatile. One layer is better than double, easier to wash and dry and if needed, you can always fold it. Maybe you can make some different size muslins for your daughter.

I only used bibs when my daughter was 6 months and started solids. I was using a muslin around her when she was younger for any milk coming up. At 6months was the first time I used something with waterproof backing, her bibs. That meant that her clothes would be less dirty (but still dirty) after every meal. I thought that bandana style bibs were too small for the job. I used the bigger ones.

Maybe you could prepare a few things for her now and when the baby arrives, your daughter can tell you what she really uses a lot and you make some more for her.
  • Artytarty
    Thanks, I too used muslins but I didn't find them fab.
    One daughter used to regularly give back an entire feed, I dimly recall being drenched.

I thin these burp cloths look cute and are easily made, so that appeals to me, there are also most likely just a new fad.
    I'm going to make some bibs for later but I want to buy a snap fastener tool as I always found tying a bib string with one hand tricky.
    And I think I'll make some lovely soft cotton flannel cot sheets.
    Hopefully progressing onto an opening growbag sleeping bag thing too.
  • I bought a lot of muslin cloths and they were extremely useful cos my daughter had reflux. I just folded them in half to make them a bit thicker cos they are very thin.
  • I used simple muslin cloths with my daughter and they worked absolutely fine
  • Artytarty
    Indeed, so did I.
    They were so much fun to make and look very pretty even if I do say so myself! But they're on the small side.
    I've graduated to Bib making, now that's a winner!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure