Cat Litter tray - how freq do you change it?

Comments

• SallyDucati
    SallyDucati Posts: 558
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Fussy madam has access to the garden when we are around for back up. However, when she needs to 'go' she runs back into the house to use her litter tray. She's way too much of a lady to do her business in public !

Mine are fussy too!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,013
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Our oldest one is very fussy, you pee at the front and poo at the back of the tray. She has taught our middle one the correct procedure but sadly her brother is not well trained (at least he does do it in the tray so we should be grateful for small mercies).

We have only had 1 wet accident out the litter tray and that was when our middle one was a kitten, got over excited and wet the our bed.

I suspect the solid 'accidents' are to inform us we have forgotten to empty the tray and are being informed of this.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,945
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    TripleH wrote: »
    Our oldest one is very fussy, you pee at the front and poo at the back of the tray. She has taught our middle one the correct procedure but sadly her brother is not well trained (at least he does do it in the tray so we should be grateful for small mercies).

We have only had 1 wet accident out the litter tray and that was when our middle one was a kitten, got over excited and wet the our bed.

I suspect the solid 'accidents' are to inform us we have forgotten to empty the tray and are being informed of this.

I thought if was only our fussy madam who did that !
  • charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    Cats don't like it if the litter tray gets too dirty, they also don't like the feel of the clumps as it can get stuck between their toes. I do mine every 2 days (depending). We have 3 litter trays and 2 cats. One of the trays is hardly ever used, one is used all the time. So the one which is hardly used is cleaned every few days.
  • We used to have a cat and I'd clean out our her litter tray almost daily! If not, then every other day. She's a fussy (but still lovable) one. I really miss her, though.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We only do a full change once every three months!

Cat's Best clumping litter. Only one cat and two trays. We scoop daily and top up the litter when it starts getting low.

Full change and tray-clean once every three months.

The litter recommends a full change every 8 weeks but as we've only one cat using two trays we do it less often.

We make sure the litter's deep enough that the pee balls don't touch the bottom of the tray, so once scooped out they don't leave pee residue on the tray, if you see what I mean.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Trina90 wrote: »
    The 'rule' is actually one litter tray for each cat then +1. So one cat should have 2, two cats should have 3.

Yeah.. this way I should have 7. Who has space for that?

No idea where that "rule" came from (cat litter boxes manufacturers?) but my 6 happily share one box if/when needed. I just scoop all the time to make sure it is clean for them.
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Cats will stop using the litter tray if you do not keep it clean.

Following a recent find, I have to disagree with this. My two have 3 trays to choose from, one with generic clumping litter, one with non clumping, and one with Golden Grey.

I've just been out to find a plastic trough for some winter bedding plants. I located one from last winter that's been hidden away for the last 6 months. It was only hidden away from me. The cats have been using it on occasion as a litter tray. To make it worse they never buried their deposits. To say it was festering would be an understatement.

I can only assume that even though they have a selection of trays to use, they've discovered this extra 'tray' and decided that it's a suitable alternative, despite it's condition. It had been used recently too, new piled on old, so they really don't care about 'clean'.

I wonder what they'll do now I've reclaimed it for it's proper use.
  • ben501 wrote: »
    I wonder what they'll do now I've reclaimed it for it's proper use.

keep using it?!:eek:
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    keep using it?!:eek:

I'd like to see them try. Once filled with plants I use it for a window box on the front of the house, and the cats can't get out there. (and happily they are very reluctant to venture out the front on the few occasions opportunity arises when I leave the front door open)#
    No doubt next year when I take it down they will re-christen it:eek:, unless I remember to store it out of their reach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure