Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Comments

• littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I have problems with several discs and being no longer able to cope with yoga or a 'gentle exercise ' class, went along to a local branch of Motorcise, hoping that the motor-assisted exercise would be of benefit, but on seeing the range of movement required decide that I daren't risk taking part.

What I do use (haven't for the last two weeks) is a fairly hard to get 'game' for my Wii, called Step to the Beat. It involves stepping on the spot (or moving round the room) to music and earning points to make landscape and buildings appear on an island.

It is gentle and you can sit down when required (ie not trapped away from home in pain) and does tone your legs and waist (jeans are now loose at the waist).
    That sounds good, shame it's difficult to get, as I have a Wii.

Feeling peed off at the moment as my back started up again yesterday and this morning I couldn't get out of bed without a lot of pain. I had a dentist routine appointment booked for Friday, I umm'd and aah'd about whether or not to keep it but decided that I should play safe and cancel, as I would have had to take a taxi (known for misjudging and driving up kerbs at a local crossroads!) and there are several speed bumps in town. I phoned the dentist and blubbed down the phone, but the receptionist was very nice and has booked me in for two week's time. I really wanted to go as I have a few teeth that are giving me problems on one side of my mouth that a previous dentist thinks could be a problem with the nerve.

Excuse me going on, feeling sorry for myself today lol
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    originator wrote: »
    When I registered with a new doctor she told me I was 4 stone overweight(eeek)! she offered free ref to either swimming classes,gym sessions or 12 weeks of Slimming World.I chose SW.managed to lose 10% of my body weight within the initial 12 weeks and was given another 12 weeks free.This was all offered in sept last year,I guess it's still going.
    That's interesting. If I went on a diet I'd probably lose it from places I can't afford to, such as my skinny arms and boobs! I just need to lose it from my waist downwards but of course you can't pick and choose where you lose the weight.

When I am able to get out again I will have to mention it to my GP and see what she says. I can't swim unfortunately and don't even fancy being in a swimming pool doing aquarobics, being scared of the water.

Well done with your weight loss, that's great!
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • originator
    originator Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks!I'm very pleased with the weight loss so far(just over 2 stone).I am frightened of water too and the swim sessions were a def no no for me,going to the gym also didn't appeal at all so now i walk all over the place to get some exercise in.Hope your GP is as helpful as mine lol
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    littlewren wrote: »
    That sounds good, shame it's difficult to get, as I have a Wii.

Feeling peed off at the moment as my back started up again yesterday and this morning I couldn't get out of bed without a lot of pain. I had a dentist routine appointment booked for Friday, I umm'd and aah'd about whether or not to keep it but decided that I should play safe and cancel, as I would have had to take a taxi (known for misjudging and driving up kerbs at a local crossroads!) and there are several speed bumps in town. I phoned the dentist and blubbed down the phone, but the receptionist was very nice and has booked me in for two week's time. I really wanted to go as I have a few teeth that are giving me problems on one side of my mouth that a previous dentist thinks could be a problem with the nerve.

Excuse me going on, feeling sorry for myself today lol

There are plenty of copies of Step to the Beat (aka Walk it Out)available,but people want silly prices for copies. It's worth keeping an eye on Ebay, though, as that's where I got mine for about £15.

I dread speed humps too, especially some outside a local school (funded by a company offering grants to schools and useless as come school out times you can only crawl along the road)as they are above the recommended measurements and can't be avoided if your car is small (Fiat Panda). Even worse, our GP is moving premises and there will be no way of avoiding humps on a visit (those mentioned and some in a derelict street where there used to be a school ).
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure I should post as I don't suffer the chronic health problems posters have commented on, but there are exercises on various charity websites such as osteoarthristis uk and I am wondering if you looked, could you adapt?

Could you ask them if the exercises would interfere with your back problems? OK, know I am totally ignorant, but trying to be helpful.
  • Hi im looking for an over 50s level term so let me know how you get on,K
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    tictaktoe wrote: »
    Hi im looking for an over 50s level term so let me know how you get on,K
    Are you asking any poster specifically?

The last post was made 3-and-a-half years ago so I'm not sure you'll get a response.
    (I'm not sure what an 'over 50s level term' is)
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As a 56 year old - I am waiting for my 60th Birthday to receive free prescriptions but am convinced that a week before my 60th birthday - the rules will be changed in line with pension age - meaning another 7 year wait !!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    As a 56 year old - I am waiting for my 60th Birthday to receive free prescriptions but am convinced that a week before my 60th birthday - the rules will be changed in line with pension age - meaning another 7 year wait !!

My OH has just over a year to go to state pension age and is convinced that they will stop free bus passes before then (used to be age 60 for men & women but is now in line with state pension age in our area).
    Would be a not inconsiderable £17 per week saving for us at today's prices.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I admit, I was astonished to discover that free prescriptions kicked in at 60, and absolutely delighted to discover that 'senior' discounts at theatres and cinemas also started then. But I'm not holding my breath for a free bus pass or WFA, even though it's only a couple of years to go.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure