fixing shed roof

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I used 9mm OSB (sterling board) about 10 years ago & the roof is still as good as new.

Me too.....
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How does a homeowner attach edpm to a shed roof board? Nails?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »

It’s glued down.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. What about the edges? I need to do mine and keen to get edpm AND lay some arti turf on top of that!
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks. What about the edges? I need to do mine and keen to get edpm AND lay some arti turf on top of that!

You can either use their edging system or do it the traditional way. I chose the latter.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought my EPDM in a kit 10x6 shed. The roof is made of tongue and groove. You use the glue supplied and spray it on and let it set a little you have to make sure the epdm covers area. I did shed it two goes one half and then the other, then cut excess off with scissors or sharp knife. I have lots of flat roofs at home and epdm has been on two of them over 10 years with no damage and I walk on roof a couple of times a year for house maintenance like painting, cleaning window sills
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Don't use nails on the sloping roof section as that will create potential leaks. Glue is all that you use there. The EPDM sheet is flexible and heavy and will naturally settle on the roof. It just needs glue to keep it in place.

I fixed EPDM to my shed roof using the glue supplied with the EPDM sheet. I applied and spread the glue with a large paintbrush and didn't spray it on as someone posted above. Maybe there is a sprayable glue available.

I did use clout nails to secure the edges of the EPDM to the vertical fascia where the roof meets the shed sides. I folded the edge back on itself to form a double layer and used the clout nails to secure it in place.

You should get detailed instructions with the sheet, If not, just google. It is an easy and straightforward job.

The best time to fit EPDM is a warm and sunny day. Lay the sheet out in the sun in the garden or on top of the shed for a while so that it warms up and is at its most flexible.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes mine was spray able came with two cans

firestone-spray-aerosol-750ml-49695.jpg

I fixed EPDM to my shed roof using the glue supplied with the EPDM sheet. I applied and spread the glue with a large paintbrush and didn't spray it on as someone posted above. Maybe there is a sprayable glue available.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These EPDM kits look great, thanks all. Obviously not cheap, but will be worth it to not have to re-do every few years.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So I've noticed that the shed roof is sagging a bit, which may have been causing the water to pool and get through the felt where it was nailed. I'm going to replace the 2 slightly rotten boards (these I now know are tongue and groove), but that won't really fix the sagging. Will I be OK to replace those and put EPDM on without fixing the sagging? Looking at it the pooling must be very minimal and it obviously won't be getting through the rubber.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure