Selling t-shirts and merchandise online

Options
Hi all, got some nice designs I'd like to set up a shop for and sell online. They'd be great on t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, keyrings etc. so I've seen various online stores like Spreadshirt, Zazzle, Teespring.

Has anyone actually used any of these and made some money? Or what about a recommendation for a good printers or merchandising company?

Comments

• imaginary_binary
    Options
    Someone? Anyone?
  • lofielectronic
    Options
    The online stores that do everything for you, but only give you 5 or 10% of sale price mean you need to sell an awful lot to make any money. I know a few people who have done this and a couple who have set up their own online stores independently but its difficult to make any real money on this alone, more so as the market is now so saturated.

The key seems to be having a niche market, I know someone who did okay selling football themed t-shirts he designed but again, not enough to make it a full time thing. He also did all the designs, set up his own website and then would have them printed by a local printer to maximise his profits.
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cool thing about the sites you mention is you only have to design them once and the site does the rest. Yes they only pay you low comissions but it's passive income.

The site is also doing all the marketing and putting your designs in front of lots of targeted traffic. This would take a lot of time, effort and money to do on your own.

Also check out Amazon Merch https://merch.amazon.com

I do know someone who makes decent money selling T shirts but they do everything themselves; silk screen and DTG printing. They also do lots of Comic Cons, so they work hard.

Do a search for forums and Facebook groups in the T shirt industry to learn the pros and cons of different systems.
    Good luck
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only person I have come across recently making any sort of money from t shirt printing got caught using copyright images and ended up with a little bit of legal hassle. From memory the two copyright owners that took her on were the estate of JR Tolkien and Disney, in both cases she had designed her own images based on copyright characters.

So my only advice is to steer clear of any image, phrase or implied character that could legally infringe copyright.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sites like Zazzle are free so it's worth creating some designs, opening a store and trying to sell them. You've nothing to lose financially.

It is possible to make money, but, as with any business, it will take time. How much you make could vary greatly though. You could sell one item and make £1 in a year or you could sell hundreds of an item and make £5 a time.

For each item you get a percentage of the sale. With Zazzle you can decide on a percentage, but the higher the percentage the higher the cost to the customer. You have to work out what is the right percentage for what a customer will be willing to pay and an amount you will be happy with. They also have a wide range of items. Other sites will work differently and have different products so you have to look at each and decide which you prefer.

It's also not as simple as just sticking a design on things. Obviously, you have to create the design first (and it needs to be a high quality image of the correct size so it'll print well). After that you have to write a description and fill in details for your product. You need to upload the image and make sure it all looks fine. After that you need to market the store/items.

For printing items and selling them yourself, there's even more work, but potentially more money to be made as you set the prices and get all the profit. However, you need to find a company to print everything, find somewhere to sell them (e.g. own site, which will cost money) and still create the designs, write descriptions, market it all etc.

For getting them printed, it can be costly. The more you buy the cheaper it is per item, but that is only for one design. You may get a design printed for, as an example, £1 a t-shirt, but only if you buy 2000. If you only wanted 100 they may be £3 each. If you have 10 designs you want to sell it's going to be costly and that's only to get 1 type of t-shirt.

Plus, you also need to remember it is a business (whether using a site or selling yourself) so you do need to be registered as self employed and be declaring it.

As soolin says, you do also need to be very careful about copyright. Never used a copyrighted image or character, even if you've re-created it yourself. This not only includes the obvious like Disney characters, but any image at all. Just because it is online does not mean you can use it. Make sure all designs and images used are yours or you do risk legal action being taken.

Overall, it is possible to make money, but it does take time and effort.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just started putting pictures onto a site called Redbubble, There is no charge and you can pick your own mark-up. Too early to say if any sales will come of it but might be worth a look. Could also consider Fineartamerica though you do have to pay for this one if you want to have over 25 pictures on it. From memory $30 a year.
  • pennypincher2013
    Options
    I remember it was mentioned in the MSE weekly email a while back and was wondering if anyone had had a try?
  • chrisbur
    Options
    chrisbur wrote: »
    I have just started putting pictures onto a site called Redbubble, There is no charge and you can pick your own mark-up. Too early to say if any sales will come of it but might be worth a look. Could also consider Fineartamerica though you do have to pay for this one if you want to have over 25 pictures on it. From memory $30 a year.

A little while ago I posted on this site that I had made 22p on Redbubble. That post disappeared a while back.
    However someone quoted my post and that was still there; but I see today that post has also disappeared.
    Just to update then my earnings to-date are 60p from 3 sales.

Will see how long this one lasts.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chrisbur wrote: »
    A little while ago I posted on this site that I had made 22p on Redbubble. That post disappeared a while back.
    However someone quoted my post and that was still there; but I see today that post has also disappeared.
    Just to update then my earnings to-date are 60p from 3 sales.

Will see how long this one lasts.

Only another 4,999,997 sales and you'll be a millionaire!!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • chrisbur
    Options
    Only another 4,999,997 sales and you'll be a millionaire!!

Update on my progress to millionaire status....
    17 sales for £17.34
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport