We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning Everyone
    Shame about the broad beans Determined I wonder if the ground was to wet and they rotted - it can happen. That's why people sow them in October and they get off to a good start. I missed that window this year so I've opted to start them in root trainers in an unheated greenhouse. You could use toilet rolls or pots and perhaps keep them on a window sill to give them a bit of a start. As soon as they're up and have a second leaf pop them in the ground then.
    I peeped into a cold frame yesterday and found a glorious crop of rocket that had self seeded from last year. Must be a couple of pounds worth. Sowed quite a few more seeds yesterday - onions, shallots, salad, leeks and peas. So they'll be taken to the allotment and put in the green house to give them a good start.
    The little grow light thing I got for Christmas is also doing well with coriandar, tomatoes and basil - so I won't be buying herbs again if they keep coming - that will save me about £3 a week as I use quite a lot. In the garden I have mint, bay, rosemary and thyme all doing well.
    Such a great time of year. Veg box arrived this morning and I expect to keep that coming until May time when I usually go self sufficient - fingers crossed.
  • got a chance to get out in the greenhouse earlier. Planted another 20 broad bean seeds. Watched several youtube clips of how to sow. am thinking if these don't germinate I'll still have time to buy some for a late sowing. also sowed more basil, coriander and aubergines & 10 mini sweetcorn seeds (minipop)

lettuces I sowed earlier this week has germinate, as have leeks, 4 cauliflowers and all but 4 tomato seeds :)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My garlic is starting to come up. I was not expecting quite so many to sprout- don't ask me why, ye of little faith etc. Now I have too many for my back yard pots!
    Go get it!
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all :)

Well we have lift off! My lettuces have sprouted both inside and outside planted :j:j and I have detected the first sprouts from the onion sets planted indoors too :D

The 3 seed potatoes planted indoors are also sprouting well, I will probably put them into their final containers shortly as the roots are already poking out of the bottom of the pots - really hoping I can get a super early crop :)

No new sowings at the moment, its difficult to find places with no windowsills in this house, once the potatoes are all planted I will have some room for more little sproutlets!

Hope you all had a good weekend :beer:
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Hi All,

Seed sowing in the greenhouse yesterday and horrible wet and windy weather today so spent more time seed shopping than sowing.

Found a company that does small packets. Good value from 55p a packet and also free postage through to April. Seedstosow.co.uk

Other than seeds, are there any cuttings I can try still? I have Rosemary and Thyme that have seen better days, will cuttings taken from these grow on?

Thanks all
  • Hi there everyone - on my third year of allotment owning and went over this weekend and spent an hour or so on sat and Sunday organising/clearing.
    Asparagus bed weeded ready for this hopefully popping up and being harvested for first time (its been in 2 years) separated some raspberry canes /split off and tidied up the fruit bushes (gooseberry and red currant) - cleared some of the dry leaves off the strawberry patch - but this really needs a good sort out for this year!
    Onions (red) growing well and planted home horseradish thongs, got some aldi seed potatoes hitting on the windowsill!!
    We are hopefully moving house in a few weeks and will have a decent veg patch/orchard and greenhouse there so I am really itching to get all my seeds started!!! Cant start them at home as house is on the market and would look too untidy - hopefully I can get everything started in the greenhouse in a few weeks when we move in!!
    SLM
  • elburnzo
    elburnzo Posts: 24 Forumite
    was at the plot on Saturday. Managed to get a rhubarb plant planted for next year and finished off the first bed and weeding what will become the fruit area. Still just over half of the plot to weed :( will get there eventually!

Got some seeds started at home now as well. leeks, cabbage, brocolli and lettuce. Only the lettuce has made an appearance so far.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Everyone
    I now have all my March seeds sown now and have a plan drawn up - so I'm thinking about April. Can't believe how quickly time goes by. The greenhouse is full of trays and even got a couple of the dwarf French poking their heads through.
    YorkshireW wrote: »
    Other than seeds, are there any cuttings I can try still? I have Rosemary and Thyme that have seen better days, will cuttings taken from these grow on?

Here's a link to taking some rosemary cuttings: http://growagoodlife.com/propagate-rosemary-plant-from-stem-cuttings/
    You can also layer them in the ground until they root and then cut them off from the main plant. I think it's always worth having a go and if you get to many you can always pass them along or sell a few.
    I have a couple of plants rhubarb, chives that I'll put out for sale at the weekend and try to make a bit of pocket money.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2017 at 4:53PM
    yippee I have the day off and the sun is shinning :) I actually have the whole week off but at this point today is the only day the forecast is saying it's going to be nice!

On Sunday I raked the bed I was going to put potatoes - raking to a fine tilth is hard! But after doing that I see this area is thick with marestail tail so after some research I'm having a change of tack. I'm going to cover it with a mulch of compost and cows manure and cover with black polythene. When the time is right I will plant my squashes through the polythene. Reading up I feel if I don't do this I'll just have trouble with this bit of the plot forever!covered with some black sheeting taken from an old storage space ;)

I'm picking up the bits I need to make my wormery today. Hopefully apart from worms and coir block it is gratis :)hurrah picked up polystyrene boxes from the fish monger for free and have ordered the worms :j will be here Thursday or Friday so have a couple of days to make it :D

Will nip to the lottie to do a little tidying/digging shortly. Managed to take cuttings of the red current bushes while I was there Sunday. done

[STRIKE]Plan to sow sweet peas today[/STRIKE]. A bit late but hopefully won't be a problem. Other than that no sowing plans and no germination of seeds sown at the weekend yet.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 1:25PM
    I'm getting out in the garden this afternoon, its a bit breezy but bright and sunny :j

The indoor sown spinach popped up yesterday, and today a couple of soaked sweet pea seeds are making an appearance. Nothing from the non soaked seeds that were planted a day earlier. Soakings the way ahead for me!

In the garden I am creating a couple of new flower beds in the front of the house. I was going to move the composter but with the wind and the composter contents being very dry (with ahem, the contents of the hoover in it too!) I'll pass on that today.

Have a good day everyone :)
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family