PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    The first time buyers at the bottom of our chain thought nobody would want to upset them when they demanded £11k off right at the last minute before exchange... :mad: sadly for them they were wrong - they got booted out, had to pay solicitor fees, search and survey costs anyway, our buyers found a new buyer and the whole chain is carrying on merrily without them...

I think your request for 4 weeks between exchange and completion is much more reasonable though :D
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Claire, we rang towards mid afternoon when didn't hear. She said "sorry yes we exchanged at lunchtime, did no one call you?!"
  • Seriously? I kinda hope that's the case lol.
    When we went in she was very clear that she needs to get authorisation to exchange from us over the phone.
    I've set the hubby the task of calling to check if it's happening and if not that we're good to go tomorrow. If needed I'll try calling when I finish work.
  • Seeing all you lot progressing is making me feel a bit miffed LOL ..STILL waiting for the valuation to come back with the correct details on from mortgage people ..they had said 48 hours ..it's now almost 2 weeks ...!

At what point to people start to arrange a survey ? We are wanting to arrange but not sure when we should do this ?
  • middy991
    middy991 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    just had the sellers estate agent on the phone wanting us to push it through before xmas fuming iam,this is the only time since havin our offer accepted we have heard from em and their been rather snotty bout it
  • The first time buyers at the bottom of our chain thought nobody would want to upset them when they demanded £11k off right at the last minute before exchange... :mad: sadly for them they were wrong - they got booted out, had to pay solicitor fees, search and survey costs anyway, our buyers found a new buyer and the whole chain is carrying on merrily without them...

I think your request for 4 weeks between exchange and completion is much more reasonable though :D

Wow - and we were worried we'd upset the vendor asking for 4 weeks between exchange and completion! :rofl:
  • middy991
    middy991 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Seeing all you lot progressing is making me feel a bit miffed LOL ..STILL waiting for the valuation to come back with the correct details on from mortgage people ..they had said 48 hours ..it's now almost 2 weeks ...!

At what point to people start to arrange a survey ? We are wanting to arrange but not sure when we should do this ?

we had homebuyers report done same time as valuation
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Middy why not ask EA if seller will speak with you directly? Our sellers EA always sounded panicked when we spoke via her, but our vendors are lovely. Some of the "drama" can definitely be added by the EA even if unintentionally.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    Middy why not ask EA if seller will speak with you directly? Our sellers EA always sounded panicked when we spoke via her, but our vendors are lovely. Some of the "drama" can definitely be added by the EA even if unintentionally.

Sometimes this can be the case, other times it's the opposite, the drama is added by the seller, and a good EA can calm a situation down. Each situation will be a little different.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic

We took the advice to wait until the mortgage was agreed before we arranged the survey (purely to save money if the mortgage lender wouldn't lend on the house). However, for various reasons our mortgage took 3 months to sort out, which meant our survey came really late in the process and the seller's estate agent was really annoyed with me ^o) Depends how risk averse you are I suppose. If I'd have known the mortgage was going to be such a fiasco, I would have done the survey at the start - that way we would have known everything that was wrong with it BEFORE the mortgage lender gave it a £0 valuation and may perhaps have decided at that point to walk away :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback