Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Infamy!
    Infamy!
    They've all got it in fa me!
  • Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Did you mention that to your examiner when you failed your test for driving at 30mph in a 40mph zone?

Or

Did you drive at the speed limit where it was safe to do so, like we were all taught by our instructor?

You're being purposely obtuse here because you know the speeds we're talking about and it isn't 10mph below the limit. My point is that, in a 30mph zone, you don't need to consistently hit 30mph but rather drive to the conditions and area you're in -- which surely you must agree with as a sane human being?
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    And that's fine, but why do they need to do it in the overtaking lanes?

We've got people on here giving it the "limit not a target" BS, the usual excuse for incompetence.
    Well if they want to do 30 in a 40, let them do 30 in a 40, what I don't want them doing is blocking, beeping, flashing lights or waving their camera phones at anyone who dares to overtake them.

I get the distinct impression that you are in the minority of people who consider flashing, beeping or blocking someone because they are not adhering to what you believe the speed limit should be. I drive a lot for my job and I see a lot of people who overtake at 65mph and, unless they're lane-hogging or quite clearly causing a nuisance for extended periods of time, it's easier to let them get on with it safely than try to intimate or berate them. Most often than not they're older people with limited experience on motorways/dual-carriageways -- would you be happy with someone berating an older member of your family because they're doing 5mph below the speed limit and providing a very minor inconvenience?
    Here's the difference, incompetent drivers I can handle, but driving badly to provoke other drivers, that's entirely different.

These people not only want to drive slowly, but they're passively-aggressively enforcing that on everyone else.

Now perhaps it's different in different areas of the country, but around here in Worcestershire and the west-mids it's reaching ****ing epidemic proportions.

Again, I get the impression that the "driving badly to provoke others" people are just made up in your head: it's very rare that someone drives on purpose to provoke others, and it usually starts with an innocent mistake that gets out of hand because childish people cannot allow others to make minor mistakes on the roads. It's getting to the point where dashcammers are now purposely driving like idiots to catch others committing minor, everyday mistakes to say "aha, look, I told you the standard of driving was getting worse!". I imagine you have a dashcam.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Again, I get the impression that the "driving badly to provoke others" people are just made up in your head:

Ok, so explain this to me......
    This morning i'm doing 70mph down a dual-carriageway, it's fairly empty, there's one car ahead (a Merc A class), they're in lane 2 for no good reason, doing approx 50mph, I'm getting closer and slowing down, but i'm taking the next exit road about 200 yrds away, so I figure "let them carrying on being an idiot, won't be my problem in 20 seconds time". Then JUST as i'm a few meters away, about to start indicating and now doing 50mph, the Merc driver swerves into lane 1 and brake tests me, I indicate to pull off and just as I enter the exit lane, she moves back into lane 2 and carries on as before.

Now i'd love to know how else this can possibly be interpreted other than an incompetent driver who doesn't know the speed limit, hogging lane 2 to prevent anyone overtaking, then trying to Police the roads when it looks like someone might be about to overtake on the left.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I imagine you have a dashcam.

Oh yes, he does :rotfl:.

Do you have footage of that one, Strider?
  • Strider590
    edited 20 July 2017 at 3:27PM
    Oh yes, he does :rotfl:.

Do you have footage of that one, Strider?

I don't post footage from within 2 miles of where I work or where live, not that it matters because what I was asking was whether the events described can be explained away as a mistake or a bad coincidence or whatever........
    Perhaps she didn't know I was there and worried about driving in the rain she decided to change lanes and test that her brakes still worked????

And the other day, perhaps the old guy that almost got himself T-boned on a mini-roundabout, did not sound his horn as a rebuke to me briefly sounding mine, perhaps he was using his horn to apologise???? Perhaps then he didn't slow down to 15mph to further aggravate the person he'd just cut up and was in fact offering me an opportunity to overtake (which I accepted) and then once again used his horn to apologise????
    And finally perhaps his crazy arm waving (and flashing of headlights), was in fact him trying to swat a wasp?

Wow, I see now how I misinterpret everything............. :rotfl:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If the common denominator for all these disparate events is a single person, one might consider that the problem lies with the common denominator? ;)

Like the old person who's driving for 50 years and never had an accident ... seen quite a few though ........ :D
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    This morning i'm doing 70mph down a dual-carriageway, it's fairly empty, there's one car ahead (a Merc A class), they're in lane 2 for no good reason, doing approx 50mph, I'm getting closer and slowing down, but i'm taking the next exit road about 200 yrds away, so I figure "let them carrying on being an idiot, won't be my problem in 20 seconds time". Then JUST as i'm a few meters away, about to start indicating and now doing 50mph, the Merc driver swerves into lane 1 and brake tests me, I indicate to pull off and just as I enter the exit lane, she moves back into lane 2 and carries on as before.

Now i'd love to know how else this can possibly be interpreted other than an incompetent driver who doesn't know the speed limit, hogging lane 2 to prevent anyone overtaking, then trying to Police the roads when it looks like someone might be about to overtake on the left.

In the past three years, I have done around 200k miles nationwide for my job and I don't think I've ever encountered someone do this unprovoked. Maybe you really do run into the only people on the roads who seriously want to cause accidents, but I suspect that -- since you've highlighted it happens often to you in this thread -- your driving has some bearing on why people react this way. I can't see why anyone would do what you describe above without being provoked or annoyed in some way.
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I don't post footage from within 2 miles of where I work or where live, not that it matters because what I was asking was whether the events described can be explained away as a mistake or a bad coincidence or whatever........
    Perhaps she didn't know I was there and worried about driving in the rain she decided to change lanes and test that her brakes still worked????

And the other day, perhaps the old guy that almost got himself T-boned on a mini-roundabout, did not sound his horn as a rebuke to me briefly sounding mine, perhaps he was using his horn to apologise???? Perhaps then he didn't slow down to 15mph to further aggravate the person he'd just cut up and was in fact offering me an opportunity to overtake (which I accepted) and then once again used his horn to apologise????
    And finally perhaps his crazy arm waving (and flashing of headlights), was in fact him trying to swat a wasp?

Wow, I see now how I misinterpret everything............. :rotfl:

Again, this only seems to happen to you. No one else who is responding to you seems to recount similar episodes on such a frequent scale, or be of the mindset that people are genuinely out there to cause accidents and cause you issues. I'd imagine there was nothing "brief" about your horn either.
  • Strider590
    Again, this only seems to happen to you. No one else who is responding to you seems to recount similar episodes on such a frequent scale, or be of the mindset that people are genuinely out there to cause accidents and cause you issues. I'd imagine there was nothing "brief" about your horn either.

It was brief, but actually it doesn't matter, because it was the correct use of the horn.

Another story.....

Yesterday, narrow country B road, 40 limit), road works in some real twisty bits, lots of signs, been there several days, everyone knows about them, I stop at the queue leaving a 1.5 car gap (just in case some idiot ignores all the signs and comes ploughing into me), and yes some idiot come flying around the blind corner behind me and has to slam on the brakes, but apparently according to this muppet it was my fault because i'd left a gap........... I could see him mouthing off and flipping hand gestures, but I ignored him.

Now my thinking is that the gap has no bearing on it, it could just as easily have been a car in front of me, in which case IF he'd hit me i'd be running around dealing with multiple insurance companies for the next 6 weeks. Fact is he ignored the signs and was driving far too fast, but that didn't stop him tailgating and diving around aggressively behind me for the next few miles.

I think the reason I see so much of this is because when I'm driving I put all of my focus into doing so, into situational awareness and reading other driver "body language" to determine what they're going to do. Where in contrast most people drive about at 40mph, ****king about with their phones.

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »

In the 25 years of commuting early hours between Runcorn and Manchester on the M62, I've had that scenario a few times. I've come up behind a vehicle in the outside lane that isn't overtaking anything in the middle lane, I don't flash, I don't ride on the bumper, but if they aren't going to move over, then sometimes I'll undertake, again not being aggressive and they speed up, or try to cut in. So it does happen.

And before people start, I've been told off for undertaking on here and I've been told off for just sitting behind the vehicle. Can't win.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure