We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hi all,
    ive been sat with patio doors open since 7am... its a blue sky belter again today so with regards a storm ?? we will see..

my horse carriage has arrived !! :j
    driver came all the way from Hartlepool ! picked up carriage in Halifax and then got to here... took 5 hours and he arrived on the dot [10pm].. what a nice guy too..
    [when I was looking for a "shipper" I was put off by lots of what appeared to be ,from their feedback, a bit lack lustre in conscience ]
    as it was late , I let him kip in the spare room, cooked him a mixed grill and he was off 5.30am for his next job [reading to York !]
    so if you know of anyone looking to transport a car/caravan/bike etc in the north ,this is the guy to use... cant recommend him enough :)

the carriage is better than what I thought !! feel a bit guilty as wasn't expensive and it was an old boy [farmer] retiring.. but hey ho...
    id have had his horses if I could but 10 is enough :o

taking dolly to the vet today ... bit of butt dragging going on so may be the rear glands :eek:
    poor old bimble seems to be suffering in this heat, normally doesn't bother him but he's at least 12 now and not as nimble as he used to be..

well hope you aren't boiling in your now useable conservatory dave :D

have a good weekend y'all

xx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Chesapeake wrote: »
    Ahh Dave I've just realised your conservatory is getting finished, that must be such a relief! We have a tiny 6'x6' tagged onto the back of our flat as the back porch and it gets the morning sun so by 7.30am it acts as a radiator heating the whole bloody flat. Good in winter but not so much in summer!

Yes, the electricians are here today to start putting the power in. Once they get to first fix we can have it plastered....but Mr Rod won't want to do that until the cooler autumn weather, probably. :(

It does get hot in there on 25c days, but we'd not expect to be on that side of the house anyway during those, when we've always retreated tothe north-facing kitchen/diner which stays at a pretty constant 21-23c throughout good summer weather. :)

In the absence of any communication from the conservatory co after we declined to pay their bill, presented last week, I took the initiative yesterday and sent them a cheque for 2/3 of the final amount, hinting that they might have to go legal to get any more. :p

If we get 30m2 of extra space for that amount, I'll be [STRIKE]reasonably happy.[/STRIKE] delighted.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello everyone, I hope you're all surviving this lovely but uncomfortable to work in weather. Life is plodding along for me, some ups, some downs but generally ok or good. I've actually discovered I can now have a life and I've felt some oppression lift!

The plants I potted up are all doing well, apart from one snowball viburnum which just curled up its toes. But given how many things I lifted one dying isn't bad. I still have more to do but I've been enjoying just being instead of always working like a mad woman lol.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all.

Sorry I haven't posted

It's been a roller coaster of a few months..

We had to have our old cat PTS. She was the stray that turned up at our back door 5 years ago..on the same day we had a kitten .then last Friday. That kitten we took to the vets to be neutured and there was complications and sadly we lost her

We have her 6 month old son and her 3 ten week old kittens her. ( her 6 month old Tom got neutured on the same day too)

We also have 2 litters of piglets here 19 of them all together ..

Sold out big van to try and cut costs back (but I think we are regretting that already) so only got the transit now.

No work done on the house etc. Just concentrating on trying to make a living selling on eBay and farm auctions etc.

Slowing finding my feet on what plants to sell on eBay and farm auctions. So need to start propergating stock for next year..
    This year with the plants it's def been no organisation and just winging it. Especially as the garden is a total mess lol..

So fingers crossed will be able to buy plastic etc for the 42ft polytunnel we got for free.
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Great to hear from you CTC. Hope things pick up and get busy for you. Can you look ahead to Christmas and start planting things to make wreathe etc with?
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Davesnave
    Hi all.

Sorry I haven't posted

It's been a roller coaster of a few months..
    I'm sure everyone understands CTC. It's not easy producing stuff to sell in conditions which are 'make-do' ....Tell me about it! :( Here, I've got away with not having a shade area.... up to now, but this year, things fried! :o

Sorry to hear about your moggies; at least it sounds as if you have plenty of new life there to distract you too. :)

We finally got the conservatory wired to first fix yesterday, not Friday as originally promised :(, so there's 'just' plastering before we lay the floor covering in there. Mr Rod has been in touch, but not in a manner where he can be pinned down....more sort of ouija board at this stage!:rotfl:

The Market on Saturday was pants. :undecided It's dying on its feet. Sad, but if people don't come, the important vendors, like meat & fish, drift away. Then people think it's not worth turning-up for a few cake stalls and plants etc, so the footfall falls further!

Reasonably good quantities of rain are falling here as I type, bringing an end to the drought in these parts, though probably doing little for the lack of ground water. Will I get to fish tomorrow??? Maybe! :D

I've finally got all the squash & courgettes in, somewhat late, as the sciatica has been limiting me. I think it's finally on the mend, thanks to taking 2 days easy, rather than trying to push myself through the pain barrier. They do say it takes about 6-8 weeks to go. I think I can trace the problem back to Mid May, when our builder was in a bad mood over mistakes he'd made. Foolishly, I didn't ask for his help; just quietly moved all the very heavy flooring materials myself, and I knew then that I'd overdone it back-wise. Sheets of 8'x4' x 3/4 are too much for me now....:(:o

Won't happen again! :A
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Dave, sciatica is one form of pain that responds very, very well to certain exercises. I still get it, and it gets mingled in with my proto-MS demyelination thingy, but I can almost get rid of the sciatica in a few days with some regular leg stretches and back exercise. I scorn most medical intervention (I used to teach some of those incompetent fools, which is scary) much preferring placing myself in the hands of my favourite vet ;), but those sciatica-treating moves are the wolfs nads for swiftly getting rid of it. There are internet guides too; if they work a bit, go see a physio for a proper regime to be worked out. Worf a go!

Here, it has rained. Grand total of 2mm in a week. Tumbleweed passes, Mexicans hide under sombreros, buzzards circle, and a lone rider can be seen on the sierra horizon, spurs glinting. Trouble coming! After Norfolk show got 90mm in a day, Norwich got another 80 the following Thursday. We are 12miles away... we got none! The higher fields (a bit, but it is Norfolk), are bone dry, but we are saved by the water meadow, which is green and bounteous.

I went out in the sun to dig a well, and got full blown heatstroke. Bit thick of me, to be blunt. I did find water in a field where I want it, and only had to dig down four or five feet... I ended up shakey, fainty, wobbly and very, very red. Firm telling off from my personal medic. She went out in the sun the next day, cleared a patio of weeds, and moved some slabs.... and came in shakey etc.. Pair of twits!

Best bit of the show was last night, when it was all over, coming back in twilight, going and reuniting all our sheep, who all gathered around us, then sprawled out for a snooze and a cud-chew. So we two joined in for a snooze.

I didn't keep up with hedge watering enough during that week, so some of it is suffering. There is really too much to do, getting the place the way we want, so the isn't enough time for routine jobs like lawn mowing. Oh, and yet to even start on the house! That starts in September. Possibly.

Sorry about sad felines, CTC. It's been a while since we had a cat go, but I still feel it. But, more moggies now, and they are glorious.

Glad the plants are OK, Fay. Keep up with the watering, and pot them up as they grow.

(Speak of the devil; it's raining! Brief, but welcome)

Delighted conservatory is working out Dave. Worth it in the end!

Rain now stopped, but must have been at least a nanometer...:(
  • Davesnave
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Dave, sciatica is one form of pain that responds very, very well to certain exercises.....Worf a go!
    Yes, I've been doing a few, but I ought to do more. Pure laziness. :o Also it's been quite handy having an 'excuse' in the hot weather which is genuine! :rotfl:

Kafka Time....
    A while back, I complained to the council that they'd instigated a change in our address via the PO in 2013, but hadn't yet used it themselves on official correspondence. :(

Next, a nice, jobsworth-type lady rang me to say that we could have the nice new address I'd shown them, but it would cost £31 to alter their records.

"Err, but it was you lot who asked for the change! There were 2 houses in the same post code, different roads, with the same address, and after about 24 years, someone noticed!"

"Oh, yes, well, there was some correspondence on addresses between us and the PO a few years ago.....but I don't have the details."

I did. :D I sent the Street Numbering & Naming Dept a copy of the letter from the PO telling me that my address had to change on the Council's say-so. It was a much nicer address, two lines shorter.

I added at the end. "This is the address we have used for the past four years and the one which everyone we deal with now uses. It's also there on all the automatic look-ups for the post code. We shall continue to use it.

Naturally, it is for the Council to decide how long they wish to retain and use an address which became outdated at their behest some time ago. From here, such action looks logically inconsistent."

Yesterday we received a letter from the council using our new address, saying we could keep it.

That was nice of them. No mention of £31. :)
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    .... You missed the opportunity to bill them £30:96.....
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    We've had loads of rain down here! It's still very hot and muggy but we're getting a couple of days of rain for every 5-6 days of sun which is working out quite nicely.

Trying to sum up the energy to return to the allotment, I'm determined to use winter to get it in a fit and proper state for some proper growing next year. I think the polytunnel will be dedicated to tropical fruit, going to get a partner for the kiwi so we get some fruit from it :)

Sorry to hear about your cats CTC, it's never easy to lose a pet. At least you have lots of kittens to keep you occupied!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback