Faulty Amazon.uk item purchased

ANNA
ANNA Posts: 218 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 June 2017 at 11:09PM in Consumer rights
I purchased an item on Amazon uk website, which turned out to be immediately faulty.

The Amazon seller agreed for me to return it, which I did at my expense, by RM and I obtained a proof of posting.

Now the Amazon seller is claiming they haven't received it. They are in Scotland. I am in England. I submitted the proof of posting but they refused to refund me both the purchase price and the return postage on grounds that they can't trace it with the many returns they get.

What are my rights plse and what should I do next. It is now almost 3 months since my purchase. Ideally, I would like my full refund and buy elsewhere. I've found it on ebay but it is dearer.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did they really state they can't track your item due to the volume of returns?

If so, they really don't have a leg to stand on because that implies that they've lost it.

Different if they simply stated categorically your item hasn't been received.

Did you insure this parcel?
  • ANNA
    Yes.
    [FONT=&quot]"Have you enclosed a note with your details so we know who it is from"
    [/FONT] Yes, I added my details to the printed slip."
    "[FONT=&quot]Ok thanks "
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Reminder: "I returned this item on 21/03/2017 & still no refund"
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"Did you get a receipt from the post office if so can you please send me the barcode, and I will get this tracked for you online"

It seems like at first they are saying they have problems identifying what they got back from whom. Then they change tack to imply that unless there is tracking, they didn't receive it.

I don't have tracking. I sent it RM 2nd class with proof of posting.
    [/FONT]
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Did you contact the supplier directly, or Amazon ? If it was the supplier you contacted, it is well worth contacting Amazon to see if they can help. In my experience they are very good at sorting out faulty goods, whether bought directly from them or via a third party seller.

That aside, you've given them proof of posting, they're claiming they didn't receive it ? That's their problem - they should be refunding you, then taking up their argument with RM if they want to. But if you get nowhere with this, then definitely contact Amazon - I very much doubt they'll be keen to retain a seller on their books who has so many returns that they can't keep track of them !

Just as an aside, and for future reference ... if you buy something online that turns out to be faulty from the outset, it's not you that pays the return postage - it's the supplier.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ANNA wrote: »
    I purchased an item on Amazon uk website, which turned out to be immediately faulty.

The Amazon seller agreed for me to return it, which I did at my expense, by RM and I obtained a proof of posting.

Now the Amazon seller is claiming they haven't received it. They are in Scotland. I am in England. I submitted the proof of posting but they refused to refund me both the purchase price and the return postage on grounds that they can't trace it with the many returns they get.

What are my rights plse and what should I do next. It is now almost 3 months since my purchase. Ideally, I would like my full refund and buy elsewhere. I've found it on ebay but it is dearer.
    Anna, as you returned the goods at your expense, they remain your responsibility until delivered.

What is the value of the goods?

Perhaps you should be claiming from RM for the lost package.
    Do you still have the Certificate of Posting or is that now with the seller?
    With the CoP, the maximum compensation is £20 plus the postage cost.
    Without CoP, it's six first class stamps.
  • ANNA
    Thanks I dealt with the supplier direct on the Amazon uk website.

I have now tried to contact Amazon by filing an A-to-Z guarantee claim but it did not send. I'm out of time to make a claim apparently, even though I have contacted the seller on the day of receipt back in March and ever since.
  • ANNA
    Thanks. I photocopied the CofP and emailed the attachment direct on the Amazon.uk website.
    I'm pretty sure the seller received it but have chaos their end. I was getting replies from 2 different people and having to repeat myself. When I referred to my previous emails they wanted the info all over again.
    Time-consuming for under £20. I feel cheated.
  • ANNA
    edited 12 June 2017 at 11:44PM
    I have found the seller has a website on google which reveals a tel no.

I am minded to phone my complaint through tomorrow.

And google maps shows them located on a proper trading estate, so I would have expected a more professional approach to customer returns.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    one vital mistake was sending it just as normal mail, proof of posting means you posted it, but does not mean they received, you should always use a tracked service.
    And google maps shows them located on a proper trading estate, so I would have expected a more professional approach to customer returns.

that means nothing, you can pick up a small lockup on industrial estates from £20 a week with easy get in get out contracts
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    one vital mistake was sending it just as normal mail, proof of posting means you posted it, but does not mean they received, you should always use a tracked service.
    A Certificate of Posting is perfectly adequate for goods with a value of less than £20 - as in the OP's case.

If the package fails to arrive, then a claim from RM will produce the right result.

ANNA, keep an eye on your dates. A claim from Royal Mail must be submitted within 80 calendar days of posting.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wealdroam wrote: »
    A Certificate of Posting is perfectly adequate for goods with a value of less than £20 - as in the OP's case.

If the package fails to arrive, then a claim from RM will produce the right result.

ANNA, keep an eye on your dates. A claim from Royal Mail must be submitted within 80 calendar days of posting.

As it was returned on 21/3/17 the 80 days would have been on 8/6/17 so already out of time by a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure