The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Bob. I'm trying to keep focussed.

I have just typed a long message and lost it. :mad::mad::mad:

I have been focussed on money, work and beings no the present so haven't had time to come on really. I have been taking a long look at how I'm living my life and realised I need to make some big changes.

Money. I can't cut any more so making extra money has to be my focus. If I cut any more then my quality of life will start to be seriously impacted. I need to keep bringing in as much extra work as possible. Paying off my debt is a priority.

Secondly I have to deal with the house. I have been reading a blog where they had got rid of 50% of there possessions in three or so months. Then they continued to go through stuff afterwards. Tomorrow I'm going to look through my fabric stash and get rid of half. Some of it I have had for year and years. If I haven't used it yet then it's more than likely not going to get used. It will be charity shopped or go to the school. I also have doubles and extras of kitchen stuff. They have to go. My old heated blanket also doesn't get used so off that goes too. I can't imagine at the moment how much work getting rid of so much stuff over the months will take but it's getting me down having it here. I have gotten rid of piles of stuff in the past few months and can't remember what it was, so it obviously wasn't important was it?

I have a massive post for tomorrow which is related to finances for the rest of the year but bed is calling now.

No more messing about. Every detail of life will be focussed on.

Have a fab night all. P x
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,032 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just popped in to cheer you on.

I have my Mum's house to deal with - you have never seen so many ornaments, so much bedding, hundreds of books... so I do sympathise. I can't remember if you are following Marie Kondo's method but reading some of her stuff has helped me make decisions.

With regard to the fabric, another option might be to ebay it. Older fabrics are harder to come by and might be just what someone wants. It's a balance of time and money when it comes to deciding what to do with things like this.

Sleep well, I will read your big finance post with interest!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi parsniphead :hello:

I'm currently on a semi decluttering spree mostly toiletries / unwanted gift sets as the playgroup I run is doing a tombola for the fun day next month it's amazing how much stuff / gifts we just put away in the cupboards and forget about them................I've cleared a black bag out my house :eek:
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks Bob. I'm trying to keep focussed.

I have just typed a long message and lost it. :mad::mad::mad:

I have been focussed on money, work and beings no the present so haven't had time to come on really. I have been taking a long look at how I'm living my life and realised I need to make some big changes.

Money. I can't cut any more so making extra money has to be my focus. If I cut any more then my quality of life will start to be seriously impacted. I need to keep bringing in as much extra work as possible. Paying off my debt is a priority.

Secondly I have to deal with the house. I have been reading a blog where they had got rid of 50% of there possessions in three or so months. Then they continued to go through stuff afterwards. Tomorrow I'm going to look through my fabric stash and get rid of half. Some of it I have had for year and years. If I haven't used it yet then it's more than likely not going to get used. It will be charity shopped or go to the school. I also have doubles and extras of kitchen stuff. They have to go. My old heated blanket also doesn't get used so off that goes too. I can't imagine at the moment how much work getting rid of so much stuff over the months will take but it's getting me down having it here. I have gotten rid of piles of stuff in the past few months and can't remember what it was, so it obviously wasn't important was it?

I have a massive post for tomorrow which is related to finances for the rest of the year but bed is calling now.

No more messing about. Every detail of life will be focussed on.

Have a fab night all. P x

I found Mins Game amazing a few years back. You get rid of 1 thing on day 1, rising to 31 things on day 31. I think if you do it right it adds up to 400 odd things each time you play.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • parsniphead
    Just popped in to cheer you on.

I have my Mum's house to deal with - you have never seen so many ornaments, so much bedding, hundreds of books... so I do sympathise. I can't remember if you are following Marie Kondo's method but reading some of her stuff has helped me make decisions.

With regard to the fabric, another option might be to ebay it. Older fabrics are harder to come by and might be just what someone wants. It's a balance of time and money when it comes to deciding what to do with things like this.

Sleep well, I will read your big finance post with interest!

You work so hard at sorting your mums house cherry. It's such a difficult thing to do at a sad time.
    I've thought of ebay but have a problem with paypal. Perhaps I should just register with them.
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Hi parsniphead :hello:

I'm currently on a semi decluttering spree mostly toiletries / unwanted gift sets as the playgroup I run is doing a tombola for the fun day next month it's amazing how much stuff / gifts we just put away in the cupboards and forget about them................I've cleared a black bag out my house :eek:

I'm surprised you have any clutter Abba, you always seem to be sorting stuff out.
    Bobarella wrote: »
    I found Mins Game amazing a few years back. You get rid of 1 thing on day 1, rising to 31 things on day 31. I think if you do it right it adds up to 400 odd things each time you play.

That sounds like something to focus on Bob. I did a 30 bags (carrier bags) in 30 days which helped but the more I get rid of the more I seem to have. I have a lot on on the next few weeks so after a big throw out today I may continue with mins game after that. It will keep me focussed until I can go at it hard again.

I have been busy this morning. I have put out washing, done more washing, put that out and put another load in. Bit like washing Hokey Cokey. I also had a huge pile of washing up to do. I never have much washing up to do in a morning but the past two days have been stupid. It will be done before bed tonight.

I have some washing to put away which I'm going to do in a minute then remake beds with fresh bed linen.

I also have a decision. I have 10 large bath sheets which take up a huge amount of space. I worry about getting rid of some incase I don't have enough to keep me going which often happens as I only use them once before washing. I see things about towels being changed weekly. Does anyone do this. Is single use then washing silly? If I used them twice the. I could get rid of some. No wonder I have so much stuff if each decision takes so much thought. :rotfl:

Back with financial thoughts later. P x

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I empathise. This is where I was when I started to look at extra income streams and started teaching, but you are a talented maker can't you use this somehow to up the income? many makers undercharge I don't know if this applies to you? could you advertise in different places/ just a few thoughts you've probably already considered...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,032 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've thought of ebay but have a problem with paypal. Perhaps I should just register with them.

We have a separate bank account with a float in to back up Paypal, so if the money that accumulates in paypal isn't enough for what we want to spend, it automatically takes from the bank, but it's separate from our main finances though with the same bank so it's easy to transfer money.

We've had the paypal for years and I don't think we've ever had a problem, but hopefully keeping it fenced off would limit the damage if ever something went wrong.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • parsniphead
    We have a separate bank account with a float in to back up Paypal, so if the money that accumulates in paypal isn't enough for what we want to spend, it automatically takes from the bank, but it's separate from our main finances though with the same bank so it's easy to transfer money.

We've had the paypal for years and I don't think we've ever had a problem, but hopefully keeping it fenced off would limit the damage if ever something went wrong.

I had an email a while back about confirming details. I went onto the site, not via the email, and tried to sort it but it just kept going round in circles. I have spent ages trying to sort it but nothing works. Recently my old card came to its expiry date so I may try to re register again.
    I empathise. This is where I was when I started to look at extra income streams and started teaching, but you are a talented maker can't you use this somehow to up the income? many makers undercharge I don't know if this applies to you? could you advertise in different places/ just a few thoughts you've probably already considered...

I do make things for people but need to make more time to do this to be honest. With DS time can be limited so I have to work around that too. You are right about charging. It's someting I do need to work on. If people want handmade then they should expect to pay for it. It would be nice to do some teaching again too.

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

I also have a decision. I have 10 large bath sheets which take up a huge amount of space. I worry about getting rid of some incase I don't have enough to keep me going which often happens as I only use them once before washing. I see things about towels being changed weekly. Does anyone do this. Is single use then washing silly? If I used them twice the. I could get rid of some. No wonder I have so much stuff if each decision takes so much thought. :rotfl:

Back with financial thoughts later. P x

You have been busy Parsnip!!

I think the more you declutter and get rid of the obvious unwanted things the more it makes you question the wanted things hence the never ending quest to declutter.

I wash my towels weekly - there is 3 of us here and we have an abundance of towels.
    DH has 1 towel which he uses all week. DD and I have 2 towels each as we have a smaller towel for drying our hair.

AS long as the towels are hung on the airer or back of the bedroom chair each time they are used they don't smell and you would be hard pressed to even tell we had been using them.
    The same cannot be said of DD who likes to cover towels in make up - she now has some hand towels which she can wipe her face on!! Plus she has a habit of leaving her towels on the bedroom floor for the cat to sleep on - the threat of her not having any towels has put a stop to this for now:rotfl:

I think you could start with using each towel twice and then maybe in a few weeks go to every 3 days and so on until you either get to weekly or a point where its grossing you out:rotfl:
  • I wash towels after each use, dd doesn't but leaves them in a variety of places. Not good. I do however ranger roll them as this reduces the space they take up. I think it's a kondo term and am sure google can provide instructions.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure