Shattered outer pane of double glazed patio door

Hi

Just now I heard a huge bang and saw the outer pane of our double glazed patio door steadily and quickly shatter from a central hole. No evidence of an air rifle slid or dead bird - it just shattered with a very loud bang. We has the patio doors fitted in April 2011 and they are still under warranty. The company explained that it could have been a thermal crack caused by differences in temperatures inside and outside.

She thought that it might be covered by the warranty. I would be grateful for any advice re our consumer rights. If it isn't covered by the warranty I'm wondering if we could claim against our household insurance as it wasn't even 'accidental damage' it just happened.

I have photographs and it is still cracking and we are waiting for it to fall.

Many thanks
Cushty

Give a man fire and he burns himself. Teach a man how to make fire and you miss a wonderful business opportunity! :cool:

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Look at the excess and the cost of the of the glazed unit as in some cases it would be cheaper to pay without claiming if your excess is higher than the cost.

Phone a couple of smaller glaziers and give them a rough measurement and they will advise as to the costs, A patio unit should not be fortune to replace.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As you didn't see what happened you will never really know, more to the point you can never really prove there was no impact on the glass.

What are photo graphs going to prove? that you have a broken window, they won't dispute that.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wouldn't have thought it hot or cold enough at this time of year to have a dermal defect.
  • cushty
    cushty Posts: 26 Forumite
    Look at the excess and the cost of the of the glazed unit as in some cases it would be cheaper to pay without claiming if your excess is higher than the cost.

Phone a couple of smaller glaziers and give them a rough measurement and they will advise as to the costs, A patio unit should not be fortune to replace.

Thanks Stevie

The cost quoted was £350 and our excess is £150. I just hope the replacement will be done under warranty.
    Cushty

Give a man fire and he burns himself. Teach a man how to make fire and you miss a wonderful business opportunity! :cool:
  • cushty
    Wouldn't have thought it hot or cold enough at this time of year to have a dermal defect.

Me neither, but if it means that they will cover it on the warranty, I'll believe them :)
    Cushty

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cushty wrote: »
    Thanks Stevie

The cost quoted was £350 and our excess is £150. I just hope the replacement will be done under warranty.

Also don't forget the rise in premiums after a claim so sometimes when factoring making a claim in some instances whereby the excess is cheaper does not really count for much.

I'd be inclined to run this through the insurance and when your renewal comes up just shop about for a better deal.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone cutting their lawn near by? That's how I shattered one of my conservatory window units!

£350 seems steep, mine was only 130 quid with a local double glazing firm.

Can you cover the shattered pane with sticky tape? It saves having to clear all the little glass bits up if they do fall out.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • cushty
    Good point Stevie and worth considering.
    Cushty

• cushty
    Sagz wrote: »
    Anyone cutting their lawn near by? That's how I shattered one of my conservatory window units!

£350 seems steep, mine was only 130 quid with a local double glazing firm.

Can you cover the shattered pane with sticky tape? It saves having to clear all the little glass bits up if they do fall out.

There was no evidence of any kind of missile and we have an 8 foot hedge between us and neighbours, so don't think it was anything like that.

We are asking around for quotes just in case it's not covered by the warranty. We thought of sticky tape, but the patio door is 6 ft x 4ft. We have put down a tarpaulin and shallow containers under the door to catch it when it falls, but it is surely going to make one hell of a mess no matter what we do :(
    Cushty

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure