PM Seeks General Election For June 8th

http://news.sky.com/

Just announced that there will be a vote in parliament tomorrow to authorise this.

Comments

• Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A clever move by May.
    Labour have no chance of winning under Comrade Corbyn, the LibDems will offer no real alternative and UKIP have disappeared up their own fundaments.

The Tories will get a landslide and be the authors of the hardest of hard Brexits.
    We might as well rename the place Airstrip One.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    One horse race that if she wins gives her the mandate to proceed on Brexit etc on her own terms.
  • m_c_s
    m_c_s Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could also impact SNP and scupper their ambitions - often pays to play the waiting game, let everyone show their hands and then strategically out manoeuvre them. Time will tell!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:50AM
    The Coalition was limited in what it could do by virtue of being a coalition. The Conservatives are limited by their thin majority. If they get a bigger majority there's a better chance of a coherent set of policies, if only on Brexit. But that's where a coherent set of policies is most urgently needed, that and what's to be done about the budget deficit.

Given the state of Labour, Libdems, and UKIP you'd have to say she'd deserve a decent majority. I'd be interested to see what happens to the SNP. Apparently as a government they're pretty bad. Will the voters respond to that?

I'd prefer a conservative/libertarian government but that's not on offer, so Conservative it will have to be. "May in June", ho, ho, ho.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    She's got this one in the bag. Labour are unelectable right now, and nobody came away from the last goverment thinking "wow, aren't coalitions great, we should have more of them".

She also potentially has any Brexit supporters who might be wavering from other parties, while being unlikely to lose the votes of any Remainers.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what happens to the SNP. .
    Thats an easy one. Politicians like a bigger empire so the Government will bribe the Scots with English taxpayers money to stay in the UK. They always do. Same as Gibraltar etc - all subsidized by the English taxpayer who get no vote on it.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • It's not remotely likely but as the lib dems have positioned themselves as the anti brexit party it would be very interesting if they got enough support to overturn the referendum. Anyone else think that would be even worse from an economic investment pov. We'd be in chaos
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not remotely likely but as the lib dems have positioned themselves as the anti brexit party it would be very interesting if they got enough support to overturn the referendum. Anyone else think that would be even worse from an economic investment pov. We'd be in chaos

You're right. It's not even remotely likely.
  • Gadfium wrote: »
    You're right. It's not even remotely likely.
    Thats why I said it :) even as someone who voted remain I really don't think it would be a good idea now we've come too far to turn back now
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    The Coalition was limited in what it could do by virtue of being a coalition. The Conservatives are limited by their thin majority. If they get a bigger majority there's a better chance of a coherent set of policies, if only on Brexit. But that's where a coherent set of policies is most urgently needed, that and what's to be done about the budget deficit.

Given the state of Labour, Libdems, and UKIP you'd have to say she'd deserve a decent majority. I'd be interested to see what happens to the SNP. Apparently as a government they're pretty bad. Will the voters respond to that?

I'd prefer a conservative/libertarian government but that's not on offer, so Conservative it will have to be. "May in June", ho, ho, ho.

A Tory victory will put to bed the unelected leader bit and it would be a surprise if any of the other parties managed to close the gap.
    I can't see the budget deficit being a major issue as we've only ran a surplus 7 times in 50 years..

http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/blog-uploads/2012/10/borrowing-percent-gdp-69-14-500x370.png
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure