Hyperoptic

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is an FTTB service, what is the upfront install cost though?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • From reading further it sounds like you need to get others to join together to get the service.
  • spyhunter
    spyhunter Posts: 250 Forumite
    I'm in Braintree, north Essex and it says I can get 74.4mb download on Fibre optic at 1.1 miles away from the exchange.

I know that's not lightning quick compared to some areas of the country but seems the best I've found for here.

So, 1, are Hyperoptic any good?
    2, does that speed sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Hyperoptic have their own network that is independent of Openreach so the speeds you qioted above do not apply.

Hyperoptic offer speeds from 20meg upto 1gbps (1000 meg) but only in very limited areas and usually in premises that are classed as multiple dwellings like blocks of flats etc.

It's good if you can get it.

check this link to see if you can
    https://www.hyperoptic.com/web/guest/availability-check
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    "As part of our standard installation service, we will install a faceplate close to the point we enter the cable into your property - usually near your front door. The total cable length supplied during the installation is 5 metres and will be surface mounted. Please note that we may drill through your walls during the installation. The router will need a power supply so the faceplate should ideally be in close proximity of a power source. If you do not have a power source nearby, you can use an extension power lead or alternatively, you can opt for our extension service."

So, four core BT cable for the last 5 meters?
    Probably fibre to the building basement distribution cabinet, then the BT four core cable to each flat: which is what we already have in the building, so what is this new socket business?

Does this mean they DO NOT share the BT cabinet, and since there is only one BT cable going to the flat, I can have a phone line or Hyperoptic broadband, but not both? Interestingly, a tenant put in an IDN line to the study maybe ten years ago, for secure private networking, so there is already a second cable.

It sounds good, especially if there is NO line rental.

Just have to make sure there are two distinct cables, so if the resident wants a phone line, they can have it on the original cable, and if they want to pay for 1Gb broadband, it's on the second cable.

If only they would do a building wide system, and charge us through the service charge. Must be ridiculous cheap per flat that way.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2014 at 4:18PM
    Hyperoptic are only interested in city type multiple dwelling places - high end apartments and that sort of thing.
    That is their business plan.

They are a "fibre to the block/basement" company.
    They then supply to the flats that take up the service via either fibre to the flat or by full grade Cat 6 copper network cable depending on many things.
    Cat 6 is is not standard BT cable - it is a much high grade screened twisted pair cable capable of 1Gbps up to 100meters.

Their service is totally separate from the BT network
    They do not supply a phone voice service or email for that matter.
    It is up to you to buy the services of a VOIP voice over fibre provider like Vonage if you desire a voice phone (being just one of many) and to sort your own email out via either the free ones or the paid for business grade ones.

Edit:
    I guess that to get Hyperoptic you need to be in their area, and need to get others in the flats to petition the building management/owner to install it to the basement, like Gigaclear in rural villages they probably need a certain % of committed signups on the dotted line before they would consider - mere "expressions of interest" would not be enough
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's got an EC1 post code.

This will drive the building management berserk.
    They just went through an intercom/entry system upgrade, with the obvious wiring issues. For an office conversion that had a brand new system from 1997, the cables are incompatible with the new system.

I presume they use Ethernet switches, possibly in stages. Nearly two hundred CAT6 cables running to the basement sounds insane. I think we are quite lucky, there is an electrical cupboard in the corridor behind the kitchen. If we are lucky, the wall socket from the study is four meters away. There seems to be about 20 electricity meters in the cupboard, so they need to put in about 10 switches for the whole building. I wonder who pays for the power to run the switches? Power over Ethernet from the distribution cabinet in the basement?

Hold on a minute. 1Gbps per apartment? That means the first stage switch has to deal with 20Gbps. with diversity, maybe 10Gbps. CAT7 cable to the basement? Fibre to the electrical cupboard? With all this cutting edge stuff, it won't be cheap.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Indeed - so I'd expect as a guess for a residential grade service (ie with contention) probably in the region £60 to £100 per month for the 1Gbps service.
    Lower grade speed packages probably in the £30 to £40pm area.....assuming they get their minimum signup level within the building...and there might be some upfront install charge or alternatively some lengthy contract term to help offset their own capital installation costs.
    On top of that you be any charge the user may or may not pay of their choosing to a VOIP provider for a voice service......say another £10pm.

I suspect the 1Gbps service will be offered as an 'up to' and not a fixed speed unlike the lower speed packages - as you say diversity/contention issues. So that if the network starts to get congested the smaller speed package services are protected from being throttled.
    A 10Gbps capable backhaul link from the basement controlling mini-cabinet sounds reasonable/adequate. I think that is what Gigaclear use as their backhaul from the village cabinet which can take up to around 400 subscribers per cabinet. and they offer the same sort of packages from 50Mbps all symmetrical down/up though 100Mbps up to 1Gbps.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Suddenly, BT Infinity sounds really good value for money.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The prices are on the websites 3rd front page slide. £40 setup fee on a 12 month contract. Prices seem very reasonable to me!

20Mb - £12.50 pm
    100Mb - £25.00 pm
    1Gb - £50.00 pm
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sparx wrote: »
    The prices are on the websites 3rd front page slide. £40 setup fee on a 12 month contract. Prices seem very reasonable to me!

20Mb - £12.50 pm
    100Mb - £25.00 pm
    1Gb - £50.00 pm

You need to take phone line with them as well which is £12.50 a month. The £40 set up is only if you put your order in before your building goes live. If you wait until after it's £200 :eek:

It's probably a niche market as it's not available to individual houses, and I imagine they would need a certain amount of sign ups before they would install the equipment in flats.

If you can get it though, it's another option for people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure