SORN car on insurance - What happens if its stolen and damaged caused to someone else?

Hi,

I have just completed the SORN on my car and am about to cancel the insurance as I cannot drive at the moment. My question is without insurance if it gets stolen and involved in an accident is there any comeback to me?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it gets stolen you lose it unless found and then you will have to pay to get it back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• When do you expect it to get stolen?
  • I hope it doesn't, was worried in case it did get stolen and in an accident I would be liable as I want to cancel the insurance
  • pmanthony wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't, was worried in case it did get stolen and in an accident I would be liable as I want to cancel the insurance

Perhaps take the wheels off?
  • Perhaps take the wheels off?

Asking a serious question about liability not something I take lighty!!!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    pmanthony wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't, was worried in case it did get stolen and in an accident I would be liable as I want to cancel the insurance
    Don't cancel the insurance then if you are worried. Let the insurer know it is SORN instead.

You could always take the battery out. That would prevent anyone using it while it is off the road.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    pmanthony wrote: »
    Asking a serious question about liability not something I take lighty!!!
    Why do you not think this is a serious answer? It is one way to prevent anyone stealing the car and driving it.
  • You can insure the car for fire and theft only, if it's SORNed. It's often called 'Laid-Up Insurance'.

If it's stolen and then damaged by someone else in an RTI then you would claim off of the third party in the normal way. If it was stolen and damaged by the thieves (much more likely), then it would be covered under the 'theft' part of your own policy.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    wongataa wrote: »

You could always take the battery out. That would prevent anyone using it while it is off the road.

Wheel clamp? It's what caravan owners do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure