Home Insurance Discussion

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    anita116 wrote: »
    Our home burnt down a few days ago. My son and I have lost virtually everything apart from the clothes we were wearing at the time. Any advice, guidance, checklists, pitfalls to avoid etc when dealing with insurance etc would be really, really helpful.

I've had it myself and also work in insurance.

You should treat this as a business project.

You will be dealing with a Loss Adjuster who represents the Insurer and collates details of the claim and reports to the Insurer for authorisation to instruct the chosen suppliers and make payments to you.

The Insurers will generally want to use their own tradesmen, if you know any builders I would ask their advice on any hidden work they spot or isn't included in the Insurers contractors quotes.

They will also generally use suppliers to replace items such as electrical items.

Your contents will normally be settled on a "New for Old" basis, this means they do not deduct "Wear and Tear" but pay the current new price or arrange a replacement through their suppliers.

They will generally deduct "Wear & Tear" from the settlement cost of Clothing & Linen.

You should bear in mind that the price of technology is dropping, so if you paid £1500 for a TV or Lap Top three years ago. They can probably replace the item with a new item with the same or better specifications for nearer £500.

When I say deal with it as a business I recommend you buy yourself a full size diary eg a one page per day. This can then be used to make notes of conversations you have with the Loss Adjuster or Insurer or Contractors (Take a note of the persons name) which can be invaluable if there is a dispute over what was said and when if you need to query it at a later date. It can also help you make a note on a future date they have agreed they would carry something out.

They will be asking you for proof of ownership eg photos, boxes or ideally receipts where reasonably possible. Obviously this is not always possible on a large fire, but gather what information you can now.

They will arrange alternative accomadation while the house is repaired. This will initially normally be a hotel or B&B and then they will try and arrange a rented property. Bear in mind you will need a largish deposit for the rental property which the Insurer may not be willing to pay. You may find you can twist their arm if you cannot afford the deposit. The Insurer will then pay the rent.

You would need to pay for food if you were still in the house so you cannot claim all of the food costs back whilst in the hotel/b&b but they should give you a nominal amount to help eg about £10ish a day. Once your in rented accomadation food costs are obviously your own problem.

Keep a record of all phone calls and who you spoke to, also keep a record & ideally receipts for all expenditure. Most of the costs you won't be able to cost eg phone calls but if there's a problem with the claim you can often claim back the cost of the calls due to the Insurers incompetence.

Keep a record of all payments you receive and all payments you pay out. This can help you keep track of what can be large amounts of money you receive on ad hoc basis

The Loss Adjuster is a professional person who tend to be very focused on their job. They want to gather the information and ensure the Insurance company pays the correct amount out for the claim. They can often come over as being a little impersonal. I would recommend you don't take anything they do personally and do your best to assist them as it pays to have them on your side.

Do not be afraid to ask the Loss Adjuster to explain what will happen with your claim when they come out this week. They will deal with house fire claims all day long every day so will know how your Insurers will be looking to handle your claim

Whatever you do, please do not be tempted to inflate or add items to the claim. Your friends in the pub will tell you to do this, the Insurers are experts at spotting this and frequently check up. If they discover you pulling a fast one they will normally throw out the whole claim.
  • Thank you so much. This is really helpful. As you said, this is every day business for them so I guess I was expecting more advice and a 'pack' of some kind from them about how to go about things.

I am trying to see this as a project and 'learning experience' but it's not easy to detach. Also, not always knowing the right questions to ask. One of the first things I did was buy a notebook and wrote down all the key contact details. That has been invaluable.

I agree about honesty; I'm actually more concerned about forgetting items and missing things out. I also wonder how much detail I need to go into on things.
  • dacouch
    Giving the customer a pack would be a good idea but I don't think any Insurers do that.

Loss adjusters love information so don't be scared to over load them, if they don't need as much information they will tell you.

Some appreciate you looking items up on generic websites such as Argos or Amazon and then giving a link to the page or noting the item/catalogue number. It may not be the item they end up supplying but can help them work out what the item was.

A spead sheet can be helpful with columns for replacement price and another for wear and tear percentage (For clothing and linen) and another for amount claimed.

I found the loss adjuster just wanted the amount of T shirts & sock etc I had, he then applied an average price to each say £10 per t shirt and deducted £3 wear and tear.

When you've moved back in you'll find you realise what a good idea it is to walk around with a video camera into each room and opening each drawer and cupboard. This then means should the worse happen again you can show proof of what you had and it also works to jog your memory of what you own as you'll forget all the items you have. Store this away from your home eg at a relatives or using cloud storage along with scans of receipts for any big purchases. More detailes photos of jewellery and watches is a good idea and is also very helpful for the police if they're stolen.

If you forget items, do not be afraid to add them to your claim at a later date. Providing you're playing fair the LA will not have a problem with this.

The LA will either produce a schedule of works which details what work he wants the building contractors to quote for or will ask the contractors to draw one up. As I mentioned before if you have any friends who are good builders ask them to cast an eye over it as they may spot things that have been missed or are being done on the cheap. If you don't know any it may be worth paying a good builder or surveyor to have a look. It's not essential but it's easier to iron out any problems before they start rather than after they have finished.

The Insurer is responsible for any problems with the work their contractors or suppliers cause, so if there are any problems refer them to your LA or Insurer.

If you have problems with the claim please feel free to post up on MSE for help. It may be better for you to start your own thread, this means that anyone who is in a similar situation and googles it will come across your thread and can follow the situation.
  • pthompson wrote: »
    My general approach is always to increase the excess to as high as possible (>£1000) for all insurance (to keep the premiums low), but to never make a claim unless an absolute catastrophe happens.

Why do you recommend against it? Am I overlooking any pit-falls here?

This is a great question but I haven't seen anybody answer it. Nobody have an views on this?
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    shambolics wrote: »
    This is a great question but I haven't seen anybody answer it. Nobody have an views on this?

The pitfall is that if you do need to make a claim, you need to pay the excess. For some a catastrophe is the house destryoyed but for others it could be £2k of repairs to a roof. Would you have a spare thousand to pay if you needed to make a claim.
  • dacouch
    shambolics wrote: »

It's not a good idea for the average person with a home insurance premium of around. The saving you would make for having an excess of £1000 over having an excess of £100 would be around £25 a year.

So for your saving of £25 a year you would need to be claim free for 40 years to make a saving.

The average person would make a claim around every ten years.

You do the maths
  • tinman74 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I went through this site to get my home insurance with Legal and General for the £70 Amazon voucher. Very happy with the price but received no confirmation about the vouchers. I know that I receive them 90 days after the policy starts but expected some sort of email?
    Has anyone done the deal, is this what happens normally?
    Thank you

I was wondering this also as my 90 days after the start date is up on Thursday and I have not had a single mention of the amazon vouchers anywhere :/
  • R6TTJ
    R6TTJ Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2014 at 11:05AM
    Hi All,

Hope I can get some guidance, never had home insurance as lived with parents no I’m buying my new house I’m getting quotes... I’ve managed to get a quote through Admiral, it’s there platinum cover, below is what it covers

Unlimited Buildings Cover

Upto £100k Contents

Alternative accommodation up to £100k - Do I need this?

Home Emergency cover - Do I need this?

Family Legal Protection - Do I needthis?

Building and contents accidental damage

Personal Possession cover up to £2k

£1k Towards replacement Locks

Newfor Old replacement

£50 Voluntary excess for B&C

All this for £223.89 which works out to be £21.06 per month

Is Admiral a good company to go with, is all the cover really necessary? I think the price is good.

As always thanks for your help with this!
  • R6TTJ
    R6TTJ Posts: 81 Forumite
    Any help would be most appreciated! :)
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    I have used your GOOD ADVICE :money:
    Carefully read the Home insurance guide.
    Watched the DVD.(Martin's tips)
    Cancelled old policy @ renew date.(loyalty is expensive)

Paid new policy for the year.( no added extra's for pay monthly option)
    checked comparison sites. Quido and Go Compare give a generous £1.75 cash back for helping me :T
    Checked Direct line and Aviva too!
    Used - Get cash back

My choice is ...drum roll please!
    :money:Hot Deal from Legal and General.

Buy a new Legal & General combined buildings and contents policy by Jan 2015 and enter the code MSENOV14 to get a prepaid pocket mastercard loaded with £70.

I chose the Extra policy with more added benefits.
    Paid £177.05 for the year with £100 excess.

So, with MSE'S helpful advice
    Paid £177.05
    - gift of mastercard £70
    - Quidco has now tracked for £70
    -Quidco's Gocompare has tracked for £1.75

New total = £35.30

:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback