Waze no longer locating cheap fuel

Waze used to be really good at locating cheap fuel on motorways before.

Driving up the m1/m6 you could search for fuel station and it will show you hidden gems (supermarket fuel station) just a couple minutes detour from the motorway.

I noticed a change when they did a promotion with shell and they were pushing up shell stations on their search and since then it's been pretty rubbish. It wont give you suggestions away from the motorway and full of 141p suggestions with the odd 131p suggestions.

On a few occasions I pulled into a small town, cleared my destination and searched for their local fuel station. Which was hit and miss and cost me a lot of time.

Any ideas what is going on? Any way to change it in settings to let the app know I'm not bothered about a detour?

Comments

• lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It still works as before for me. Are you sorting by price? If you are sorting by distance or brand (maybe it resets for some reason), this may be the reason the cheaper ones are not at the top of your search results.

Click on the gear icon on the top right of the page to change the sort by options.

How do you search for the fuel while already on the motorway? It will be pretty dangerous except if parked up at a service station or getting your passenger to do it. I know Carplay doesn't have the fuel search facility and I doubt if they will put it in Android Auto.
  • I just stop at Penrith get some food and fuel.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    I just stop at Penrith get some food and fuel.

Not ideal when you're on the M1. Or any other motorway for that matter, save the M6 ;)
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've used Waze and didn't even know it had that feature - I'll check it out, thanks. Currently trying HERE WeGo app and definitely has no fuel up option.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    mluton wrote: »

I hate petrolprices.com, they hide all the cheap stations behind paywall. "hey you can buy petrol in your area for 122p per litre". Then you click the link and it's behind a paywall and will show the nearest petrol station [shell in my case] that's 129p

Waze was good because it shows you based on your routes, and includes the detour time involved to fillup.

A third part app wont be any good and will need a passenger to assist you.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bigisi wrote: »
    Not ideal when you're on the M1. Or any other motorway for that matter, save the M6 ;)

Or if you're not going past Penrith...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport