Challenging parking restrictions

Options
At the moment my road has parking restrictions from 12pm to 2pm, the local council will make this 6am to 6pm.
I want to object to this because :-
1) It is not needed at 10 am today there were 3 parking places near my house
2) I teach languages from home so may lose customers, this could be quite expensive for me.
3) When we have friends or family round it will cost money

4) The council says we need this because of new restaurants near us, but when they gave permission for these, we were told that our parking would not be affected, so they lied.

To me it just seems a tax

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have the council advertised their proposals, and invited objections? Your comments need to be directed to them, not an Internet forum.
    I’d be careful with (2): they may not be sympathetic to businesses in a residential area. Good luck!
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    2) I teach languages from home so may lose customers, this could be quite expensive for me.

I hope you've got the necessary permissions to run such a business from your property or you could be stirring up a hornet's nest.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I hope you've got the necessary permissions to run such a business from your property or you could be stirring up a hornet's nest.
    You don't generally need any "permissions" from anyone for work like that in your own home (different in a council / rented house).

If you were a builder using your garden as a storage yard and had Travis Perkins round twice a day with their big lorries craning tons of building materials and blocking the road, then loads of subbies coming over in their vans all the time creating parking chaos it would be a different matter.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Thomas_Holding
    Thomas_Holding Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2019 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Have the council advertised their proposals, and invited objections? Your comments need to be directed to them, not an Internet forum.
    I’d be careful with (2): they may not be sympathetic to businesses in a residential area. Good luck!
    We did object and they said "We are going ahead anyway" (in a lot more words).
    I don't think we can stop them - but it is worth trying as it will be a pain and a cost.
    If I were old and needed carers or something like that it would be far worse.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    You don't generally need any "permissions" from anyone for work like that in your own home (different in a council / rented house).

If you were a builder using your garden as a storage yard and had Travis Perkins round twice a day with their big lorries craning tons of building materials and blocking the road, then loads of subbies coming over in their vans all the time creating parking chaos it would be a different matter.

If you're getting regular visitors to your property and thus increased traffic as the OP describes then many councils will take an interest.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    If you're getting regular visitors to your property and thus increased traffic as the OP describes then many councils will take an interest.
    I don't have that many students and they all come during the day when
    a) there are plenty of spaces so it is not causing any problems
    The weird thing about these restrictions is that are coming during the day when there are loads of spaces not at night, when there are very few restrictions. It is almost like the council is trying to catch delivery men and tradesmen, rather than create spaces for residents.
  • SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have that many students and they all come during the day when
    a) there are plenty of spaces so it is not causing any problems
    The weird thing about these restrictions is that are coming during the day when there are loads of spaces not at night, when there are very few restrictions. It is almost like the council is trying to catch delivery men and tradesmen, rather than create spaces for residents.

They are there to stop commuters parking for the day.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Many years ago, the council put leaflets through our door consulting on introducing a permit parking scheme and asking for opinions (this would include painting parking bays on the road). All the people in our road got on incredibly well and we all spoke together and agreed we'd reply saying it wasn't needed.

The council acknowledged the lack of support but decided to go ahead anyway. Permits of £170 per year were required to park on the road. I reckon there were around 40 cars parked on our road = £2,800 per year of easy money. Extrapolate that throughout the borough and that's an awful lot of extra cash.

At the end of the day, the money is for the community I live in, but it still seemed a bit harsh.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    Many years ago, the council put leaflets through our door consulting on introducing a permit parking scheme and asking for opinions (this would include painting parking bays on the road). All the people in our road got on incredibly well and we all spoke together and agreed we'd reply saying it wasn't needed.

The council acknowledged the lack of support but decided to go ahead anyway. Permits of £170 per year were required to park on the road. I reckon there were around 40 cars parked on our road = £2,800 per year of easy money. Extrapolate that throughout the borough and that's an awful lot of extra cash.

At the end of the day, the money is for the community I live in, but it still seemed a bit harsh.
    That sounds more or less like my experience, when this was first proposed I spoke to my neighbours and most were against it.
    The only difference is that in our case - we do have a problem in the evenings and this might make it worse because visitors might come in the evenings rather than during the day!!

(Maybe phase 2 is to make it 24 hours a day?)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    SHAFT wrote: »
    They are there to stop commuters parking for the day.

The current restrictions already do that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport