Side hustle

Hi,
I currently have a full time job and in the 40% bracket.
I'm setting up a website with an online shop as a side hustle as a bit of a fun challenge and to learn.

I will be buying my product from a sole UK supplier and running the business from my garage part time. I do not expect this to make me a millionaire but I do expect it to be profitable.

I'm looking for your advice as to whether to set up as a sole trader or a limited company. I'm also looking to understand why as i can figure out the how.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    go and talk to an accountant, simply stating you are a 40% taxpayer is no where near enough info to make an informed decision on one v the other as it will depend on your holistic financial circumstances including whether you need the money or would see it as a means to increase your tax efficiency through, for example, pensions
  • Be prepared to spend a lot on Google/Bing/Facebook ads etc. My fiance started an online bedroom business and was amazed at how much PPC style ads ended up costing.
  • Disjoint
    Disjoint Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I sole traded avoided me the hassle.
    I was in that bracket of yours running a property management business on the side. My in-house accountant told me I should set something up so that I can put some cash in a pension as more tax efficient than an ISA.

Bottom line is I file my taxes myself, and it's a lot easier if you are a sole trader. If you really start making money then you can think of something else.

Again this is my non-expert opinion.

As a side note, I left my job to pursue my own projects 6 months ago. Still running as a sole trader as I don't make meaningful amount of cash and I need the money to live. Also I have kids + a mortgage and need to feed them so pension is an after thought for now. You can deduct your business expenses etc.. as a sole trader as well.
    Now if I get sued - they can go after me but you can take insurance against this and when I looked at it it was like GBP 100 a year, reminds me that I really need to take that insurance...

Again this is what I do, and I might be completely wrong with it.
    I set up last month a limited company with company house for a project I am doing with a partner - if we do get the financing I'll pay an accountant to do the math, but the income from this should be meaningful enough to pay for an accountant. For the time being I am doing property construction and management and trade as a sole trader.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd start as sole trader and see how the business develops, you can always change later. It's generally easier and cheaper to start as a sole trader.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    smithy_789 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I currently have a full time job and in the 40% bracket.
    I'm setting up a website with an online shop as a side hustle as a bit of a fun challenge and to learn.

I will be buying my product from a sole UK supplier and running the business from my garage part time. I do not expect this to make me a millionaire but I do expect it to be profitable.

I'm looking for your advice as to whether to set up as a sole trader or a limited company. I'm also looking to understand why as i can figure out the how.

Do your costings first. Very very hard to make money these days online without economies of scale behind you or a value add.

Once you factor in fees, charges, advertising, P&P costs, packaging, factoring in for returns, etc it can be almost impossible to turn a profit from what might be a slim margin in the first place
  • Don't worry about that for now, focus on getting sales. Once you have profits coming in, it'd be a good time to determine whether you want to run as a sole trader or a limited company. Both have their own share of benefits based around business writeoffs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure