Charity fundraiser, sumup/izettle or something else?

Hi

I'm helping my friend with a charity fundraiser event. They are are youth mentoring charity, helping youth from underprivileged backgrounds connect with mentors in the professional world so they can see the opportunities out there.

The charity has been invited to a fair and have received the go ahead to fundraise at the fair.

My thoughts on this is that people dont carry a lot of cash with them so our fundraiser will be limited if we only take cash. I'd like to collect card payments at the event. I was looking for ideas on how to collect card payments cheaply at the event. I will be with a team of volunteers and there will be around 15 people collecting money.

Comments

• seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2019 at 6:52PM
    I have used iZettle for a taking payments at events. It's surprisingly cheap and easy to set up. I remember the faff when we had to get a PDQ for the business. We needed trade references and whatnot.

I dont have experience with sumup, but have plenty experience with iZettle. The best thing for you is there aren't any monthly fees, you just pay a commission on the transaction. Which is a respectable 1.75%.

The best thing is there aren't massive costs for the payment device. You can scale up to 15 fundraisers as a one off without massive outlays. I would recommend renting them to get your costs down even more. We used ubookrental : https://www.ubookrental.com/product/izettle-payment-system-hire/

Compared to the cost of hiring a PDQ and iZettle was cheaper. We had quotes for £30 a day for PDQ hire plus the fees weren't any better than iZettle.

If you need cheapest place for branded tshirts, rollerbanners, backdrops, leaflets etc let me know. My colleague did the buying and spent a lot of time researching and comparing prices.
  • I have used iZettle for a taking payments at events. It's surprisingly cheap and easy to set up. I remember the faff when we had to get a PDQ for the business. We needed trade references and whatnot.

I dont have experience with sumup, but have plenty experience with iZettle. The best thing for you is there aren't any monthly fees, you just pay a commission on the transaction. Which is a respectable 1.75%.

The best thing is there aren't massive costs for the payment device. You can scale up to 15 fundraisers as a one off without massive outlays. I would recommend renting them to get your costs down even more. We used ubookrental : https://www.ubookrental.com/product/izettle-payment-system-hire/

Compared to the cost of hiring a PDQ and iZettle was cheaper. We had quotes for £30 a day for PDQ hire plus the fees weren't any better than iZettle.

If you need cheapest place for branded tshirts, rollerbanners, backdrops, leaflets etc let me know. My colleague did the buying and spent a lot of time researching and comparing prices.

Thanks seatbeltnoob. I didn't considering hiring as an option. I can see it would work out to be less than a quarter than buying.

I'll send a order request with ubookrental and see what the total comes down to.

I think we already have the leafets and stuff so we're good with those, but thanks for the offer.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use sum up, slightly cheaper than izettle (1.69%).

Card reader is £29 (plus vat from memory) but could be used for future events or even on another account with another charity/business.

May be able to get you a discount on the reader if interested.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • I used SumUp at my first charity event I organised in May and it was fantastic, I highly recommend it! Over a third of our sales were by card.

To avoid all our stalls & games needing a float, everything was payable in tokens (gold = £1 and silver = 50p). Visitors bought their tokens from the token stall so only one person was responsible for all the cash. I was back-up for card payments if there was a queue.

(The only exception to this was the refreshments which had piggy banks dotted around for donations - this worked really well and we think we raised more this way than charging).

SumUp was so easy to use (and quite fun too!) Our finance person was very impressed at the reports they received from the payments made.

The SumUp team are very helpful too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport