How to URGENTLY reclaim PPI for a deceased relative

Comments

• Hi There,

I'm reading alot about claiming back PPI for a deceased relative, but I've been going through my deceased fathers bank statements, and have found, that while he was alive, the Halifax were charging him £30 everytime he went into an unauthorised overdraft. One time, he did this over the course of a week, and the bank kept letting him withdraw cash, or use his debit card despite not having this authorised overdraft. My father was suspected of having alcohol induced dementia, and was due to have a mental health assessment a few weeks after his death. My question is, am I able to try and claim these charges back from the Halifax as his next of kin and executor? Any advice would be great - many thanks.
  • Hi
    Interested to read about claiming PPI for deceased relative. I know my father had finance for a car and those extended warranty policies. Are these the sort of thing that PPI may have been on? How do I claim?
    Is there a site where I can just put his surname / details in and it tells me if he had any PPI?
    any advice most welcome

We claimed PPI for my partner a while back, can't remember how, he got a couple of hundred back which was unexpected but very appreciated!
  • I know we didn't have PPI as a couple but it's possible he might have had it when he was single and before we had joint account and mortgage etc? I have no details whatsoever though...

Had considered asking a claims company but then dismissed as presumed as such a long time ago now it's unlikely that anyone would have any records? Am I right in thinking it's just one of those things that I should forget about? (Bit like the fact that he paid NI for 18 years but for some age related reason/rule I wasn't entitled to any widow's state pension which I think is unfair - although thankfully he did have a modest private one).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Never use a claims company. All they do is sell the world's most expensive stamps, and they're not even rare ones.

If you know who the policy was with and you have reason to believe it was mis sold, then put in a complaint.

If you have neither, then there's no further action you need to take.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Headbear wrote: »
    Hi
    Interested to read about claiming PPI for deceased relative. I know my father had finance for a car and those extended warranty policies. Are these the sort of thing that PPI may have been on? How do I claim?
    Is there a site where I can just put his surname / details in and it tells me if he had any PPI?
    any advice most welcome

We claimed PPI for my partner a while back, can't remember how, he got a couple of hundred back which was unexpected but very appreciated!

Could be wrong but I don't think warranty policies are something you can claim back (its not something you even claim back when alive) but there's no harm in sending a letter saying your father had an extended warranty policy and your wanting to claim it back.
  • wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon folks.

I've done the PPI stuff for myself and not had any success but tbh never took loans etc and was always careful about taking out the insurance etc.

However, my mother passed away over two years ago so interested in checking her stuff as anything owed can be passed on to my step-father. I am the Executor of the estate and have the relevant paper work but not sure how to proceed.

On Martin's article here; it states "To find out what lender(s) they were with you can get their credit file from one of the credit reference agencies. The simplest way is to ask for the free statutory report from Experian, Equifax or TransUnion with proof that you are the executor/administrator. They will also usually want two original documents to confirm your residency at the address you want them to send the report to."

Stupid question, but how do I ask them? (it just links to their main page). I'm sceptical about setting up an account in her name as she's no longer with us but it would show me pretty quickly if she had anything and then I could contact them

Also, would it be better to use the MSE Credit Report rather than them directly, if the above was an option?
  • wicca1688
    wicca1688 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 July 2019 at 3:00PM
    Hi all

I'm after some advice about trying to find PPI for my mother who passed away October 2015.

I know when my father left, he left her with numerous loans to pay off which she did but have since thrown the paperwork away and unsure if any of them had PPI. This would have been back in 1995 ish

I've asked Santander for assistance (then Abbey national) as I know she was with them for along time in the hope something comes back from their records but does anyone have any advice on trying to get old bank statements or credit reports for that far back as I'm aware the usual 6 year rule applies for experia etc and I dont have a clue where to start.

Thanks Jade
  • [Deleted User]
    wicca1688 wrote: »
    does anyone have any advice on trying to get old bank statements or credit reports for that far back as I'm aware the usual 6 year rule applies for expedia etc and I dont have a clue where to start.
    Experian, Equifax and Transunion hold the last 6 years of your credit history. Expedia only hold details of any holidays you've booked with them.

If the accounts aren't in there, then you'll only find them in your own filing or memory.

However, given you're talking about accounts from a quarter of a century ago, it's highly unlikely there will be any records remaining, due to data protection.
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if information is only kept for six yrs, then what on earth do you do if you have no paperwork?? mum dead over ten yrs, all paperwork would have been thrown by now. ????
  • [Deleted User]
    If you don't have any record of who you had PPI with, then short of writing to every lender, there's nothing more you can do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback