High street wedding dress

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 July 2018 at 4:26PM
    As you have a year, you have time to shop around.

Oxfam have a couple of dedicated wedding shops - My sister and I went to the one in Chippenham, Wiltshire, when she was planning her wedding. She didn't end up buying there* but they had a lot of dresses of all sizes and styles, plus accessories such as shoes, veils, tiaras etc.

(* we went primarily because she wanted the chance to try on different shapes / styles. She then fell in love with a dress she tried on elsewhere, but the ones at Oxfam were all in really good condition, so no reason not to buy there is you find something you like)

I am not aware of other charities which have dedicated bridal shops but do keep an eye out.

It's also worth visiting bridal shops and seeing what they have on offer. My sister ended up buying an ex-sample dress from one of the bridal shops she went to. It was less than 1/2 the price it would have been had she ordered it, and she then paid to get it altered to fit her better.

If you go to a few boutiques and get a feel for what designers / brands you like, and how they fit you, you could then look on ebay for 2nd hand dresses by those designers / brands.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Chichi have a bridal range.

I also second looking for sample sales at shops, and asking about sale rails. Also look for outlet stores of high street shops. A lady I worked with last year got a Phase Eight dress (I think it was) at the outlet centre near us (East Midlands) and said it only cost around £100!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I got mine in a sample sale. It cost me £200, and retailed at £1100.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As someone else said Phase Eight - I was looking with a friend last week and they have some down from £500 to £200 and they seemed to be very long!
  • Consider loose silky trousers, a slim sleeveless top, and a floaty long shirt. Can be customised much more easily than a dress, ad will be, usually cheaper because it's not a 'wedding dress'.
    Worth looking at Oxfam on-line.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Needle and Thread? Not just their wedding dresses, but their regular womenswear might work, although probably at the pricier end of affordable.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What on earth is a Boho dress? And why do you need a "wedding dress" at all? I got my wedding dress for £55 from a shop in Soho.
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure if you're nearby but the jewelry quarter in Birmingham has some wedding dress outlets/warehouses which are much cheaper (although you're trying them on in what is essential a loft in an industrial building). Have a google for ones near you. You could always try preloved too
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    onlyroz wrote: »
    What on earth is a Boho dress? And why do you need a "wedding dress" at all? I got my wedding dress for £55 from a shop in Soho.

I'm not sure what a boho dress is either.
    But as for why the OP 'needs a wedding dress' - she probably doesn't 'need' one.
    But for that purchase above anything else, it's about 'want', not 'need'.

I made my first wedding dress, not traditional at all.
    My second was a suit that didn't look like a wedding 'dress' at all.
    But I loved it.
    Both cost much less than your £55.

If the OP wants a boho dress, that's up to her
  • gadjah543
    gadjah543 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We bought my daughter's prom dress from JJ's house. You can pay for a sample swatch of material. I was really surprised at how well the dress was made. It looked exactly like the photo so would definitely recommend BUT the size she originally measured according to their guidelines was much too big and we had to return it for the smaller size. Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure