And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hello again

Your SOA looks very reasonable. I don't know how many of you there are ( or I've forgotten from OP!) or how many cars you run. Nothing jumps out as ridiculous to me tho ( well, maybe the mortgage- but what can you do!) I think half and half re: pension/overpaying is a great idea. I'm afraid I'm not a big pension fan. I see the tax/financial incentive, but the locked away until 55 min. is a huge disadvantage. I'm am reconsidering my current pension position as I'm about to become a 40% tax payer and at this point not contributing to my current work pension is more than foolish. I invest in S and S ISAs quite heavily now, as I do not want to have al my cash stuck if I'm in need. The freedom of no mortgage was my main motivation. All other bills can be trimmed to some extent once mortgage is gone, so you are more able to use your money the way you choose ( or work less if that's your choice). Good luck today sorting your bills.

Bexster :)
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Looks like a very sensible head/heart compromise. To me PP.
    yellow stickers all the way.
    When we were at uni one of our friends worked for mr Sparks, their staff shop is awesome, we ate like kings on a pauper's budget on an evening after she'd finished her shift.

Have a great mse day
    Its amazing what you can save isn't it? I don't do it that often but if I have to go for one thing I try and time it for about 7.30 which is when the real bargains can turn up :money:
    Hello again

Your SOA looks very reasonable. I don't know how many of you there are ( or I've forgotten from OP!) or how many cars you run. Nothing jumps out as ridiculous to me tho ( well, maybe the mortgage- but what can you do!) I think half and half re: pension/overpaying is a great idea. I'm afraid I'm not a big pension fan. I see the tax/financial incentive, but the locked away until 55 min. is a huge disadvantage. I'm am reconsidering my current pension position as I'm about to become a 40% tax payer and at this point not contributing to my current work pension is more than foolish. I invest in S and S ISAs quite heavily now, as I do not want to have al my cash stuck if I'm in need. The freedom of no mortgage was my main motivation. All other bills can be trimmed to some extent once mortgage is gone, so you are more able to use your money the way you choose ( or work less if that's your choice). Good luck today sorting your bills.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply :)
    There are three of us and I have one economical car as I do have quite a long drive to work and this helps to keep down my petrol costs.
    You're right about the mortgage - love my new 10 year term but the repayments are certainly:eek:The pension/OP question is a really tricky one and after endless deliberation I'm still dithering in the middle! I'm not usually that flaky but I'm honestly not sure what's best and I really don't want to make a silly,costly mistake. Luckily for me I'm not too far from 55 so my pension fund won't be locked away for long ( if I keep repeating how 'lucky I am then I might start believing it:rotfl:).

My current thoughts are meandering around OP options. A bit like the pension route when its OP its effectively gone. Although I do have an emergency fund the last few years have taught me to expect the unexpected so I'm currently considering offsetting my overpayments instead which would make me mortgage neutral rather than mortgage free. As I'm unsure I've decided to offset my OP until the end of the year when my thoughts may be clearer.

So, next steps ;

Offset a total of £2400 for July and August :eek:
    Pay one off bills that are due in August
    Have a frugal holiday
    Celebrate successes however small :)

MSE triumphs :j

Line dried 3 loads if washing ( and put it away rather than leaving in in the basket for a week:o - thanks for the tip/kick up the pants museumworker!!)

Carbonara for dinner using cooking cooking back, basics spaghetti, hm garlic bread and accompanied by ys salad
    Got a pile of ys veg for pence
    £30 eBay sale
    Went for a run - just free exercise for me from now on
    Took my own coffee when out and about
    Leftovers for lunch
    Have written a daily 'to do' list

Now need to get off my !!!! and tackle said list :o

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • bexster1975
    Hello pp

I think off setting is a great idea. I did it for a long time. You can't really lose, most of the time I was earning more in savings interest on the offset than I was paying on my fixed rate mortgage. ( wasn't able to get an actual offset as FD bank need you to earn £50,000 p.a - go figure). It means if you need the cash, it's there. I think some people don't like them as it requires discipline not to dip into it. I never worried about that as I kept it in a separate account and had an additional emergency fund so it would have needed to really hit the fan for me to dip into it.

Good luck with the list, don't make the holiday too frugal, have a lovely time.

• pinkypig
    Hello pp

I think off setting is a great idea. I did it for a long time. You can't really lose, most of the time I was earning more in savings interest on the offset than I was paying on my fixed rate mortgage. ( wasn't able to get an actual offset as FD bank need you to earn £50,000 p.a - go figure). It means if you need the cash, it's there. I think some people don't like them as it requires discipline not to dip into it. I never worried about that as I kept it in a separate account and had an additional emergency fund so it would have needed to really hit the fan for me to dip into it.

Good luck with the list, don't make the holiday too frugal, have a lovely time.

Thanks Bex, its always nice to get a second opinion, I can sometimes drive myself quite mad with ifs and what ifs.
    You're right that the danger is dipping into the offset pot but I'm generally quite disciplined with things like that. I like to think those that love me would call me focussed (rather than obsessive, pig headed, bonkers etc. :rotfl:)

I've had a really nice day and having the luxury of time to just potter around at home is something I've thoroughly enjoyed.
    I've made some progress on my list although a few items will have to form part of tomorrow's:o

Today's MSE triumphs

Joined TCB and took out a credit card to grab £47.25 cash back. I'll cancel it once I've banked the money :)

Taken the time to look around at landlord's buildings insurance rather than just renewing and then wishing I'd got my act together. Renewal was £232 but got better cover for £142 and I've got £57.25 cash back pending :j. Feel a bit embarassed that I've clearly been over paying for years.

Batch cooked all my ys veg into curry, soup and veggie moussaka. I've still got a cabbage to deal with and all I can think of is coleslaw so might do a bit of googling

Set up my offset stuff so I can OP straight into it from my current account. My mortgage provider has my mortgage and offset saver online so I can easily see any progress (or not!) which I'm hoping will motivate me.

Had a lovely, long chat with a dear friend who I don't see enough of using my free landline calls :)

Went for a run - I'm aiming for three a week plus a decent walk plus 1_other activity as the mental and physical benefits make all the effort (and its a real effort sometimes :o) worthwhile.

Take from home coffee whilst out and about .

Leftovers for lunch

Steak pie and hm wedges using leftover pie filling and pastry from the freezer.

Still to do

Go through tax return
    Travel insurance
    Clean car :eek:
    Check date of dental appointment
    Finish some outstanding admin for work

Off for a cup of tea whilst watching the last episode of The Loch:)

PP x
  • bexster1975
    Focused - pig-headed, two sides of the same coin!

I could share some hair raising overpayment stories, at least one of which would put your insurance overpayment in the shade I assure you! Important thing is you are not overpaying anymore. Always worth a quick compare.

Glad you had a good day

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A few days late but in terms of OP v Pension it go for a 33%/33%/33% approach. 33% to debt (only mortgage for us), 33% to savings (pension currently about 17%, holidays, kids uni etc...) and then 33% to living costs (cars, food, spend etc...).

Not sure if its the best approach but it works for us at the minute to help balance those OP v pension dilemmas.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi PP. Well done on the cashback! I have a suggestion for your cabbage! Have you ever tried Irish Colcannon? I don't have it with bacon because I'm a veggie but I cook some veggie sausages for me and some meat sausages for DH to go with it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2649/colcannon
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pinkypig wrote: »
    MW - Hi:). I've read all your diaries and think your attitude and your a achievements are amazing. Our current approaches seem somewhat aligned as my current dilemma is the OP or pension contribution one. You can all look forward (:eek:) to endless ramblings later.

... Last week the mortgage was £143,780 on a rate of 5.5% with a 23 year term :eek: Now it is £110,608 on a 10 year fixed rate of 2.75 % (offset) with a 10 year term.

ALL my diaries?? Wow, if I could give you a special badge for that I would. There must have been a lot of guff in there :rotfl:. Seriously, very glad you got something out of them. With the pension dilemma, I'm not sure of your take home pay and your current tax band. If you are a higher rate tax payer, just think every payment to your pension is worth twice the take home amount, once you take into account tax and national insurance. You can't double your money on your mortgage. Also, if you earn over £50K and are subject to the higher income child benefit charge, increasing your pension contributions so your adjusted net income falls below £50K will remove this charge, meaning more take home money for you.

Also - if you can get rid of £33k of mortgage debt in a week this may be the shortest MFW diary in history :rotfl:!
    Hi :)

Life insurance, CIC and income protection £83

Food £140

Amazed by your food spends - well done! Clearly I need to get myself on the GC board.

My only thoughts on your SOA were that your life insurance, CIC and income protection costs seem high to me (I'm also v sceptical of income protection as there are always so many clauses) but am sure you've shopped around and I don't know what I'm talking about. :o
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You're right about the mortgage - love my new 10 year term but the repayments are certainly:eek:The pension/OP question is a really tricky one and after endless deliberation I'm still dithering in the middle! I'm not usually that flaky but I'm honestly not sure what's best and I really don't want to make a silly,costly mistake. Luckily for me I'm not too far from 55 so my pension fund won't be locked away for long ( if I keep repeating how 'lucky I am then I might start believing it:rotfl:).

My current thoughts are meandering around OP options. A bit like the pension route when its OP its effectively gone. Although I do have an emergency fund the last few years have taught me to expect the unexpected so I'm currently considering offsetting my overpayments instead which would make me mortgage neutral rather than mortgage free. As I'm unsure I've decided to offset my OP until the end of the year when my thoughts may be clearer.

So, next steps ;

Offset a total of £2400 for July and August :eek:
    Pay one off bills that are due in August
    Have a frugal holiday
    Celebrate successes however small :)

MSE triumphs :j

Line dried 3 loads if washing ( and put it away rather than leaving in in the basket for a week:o - thanks for the tip/kick up the pants museumworker!!)

Especially if you are close to being able to draw on a pension and want to retire early I would seriously consider putting as much into your pension as you can. Your mortgage is a cheap debt in comparison and the sooner you start paying into your pension, the sooner it will start having compound growth.

Don't be too frugal on holiday ;) Hope you're going somewhere nice.

Who -- me?? I'm the queen of clean laundry in bags :o :rotfl:
    Today's MSE triumphs

Joined TCB and took out a credit card to grab £47.25 cash back. I'll cancel it once I've banked the money :)

Lots of great MSE wins to celebrate on your list - could you let me know which credit card that is please? £47.25 sounds well worth the application process!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • pinkypig
    A few days late but in terms of OP v Pension it go for a 33%/33%/33% approach. 33% to debt (only mortgage for us), 33% to savings (pension currently about 17%, holidays, kids uni etc...) and then 33% to living costs (cars, food, spend etc...).

Hi Jimmy, thanks for stopping by. I love your diary :)
    I think finding finding what works for you and you're is key if your going to sustain your efforts and you are certainly doing that!

Jessy103 wrote: »
    Hi PP. Well done on the cashback! I have a suggestion for your cabbage! Have you ever tried Irish Colcannon? I don't have it with bacon because I'm a veggie but I cook some veggie sausages for me and some meat sausages for DH to go with it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2649/colcannon

Hi Jess and thank you, that looks yummy:A

Its so nice to have people popping in, makes me feel better about rambling away to myself :rotfl:

PP
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback