Barclaycard Lifetime Ban

Options
Hello

I held a Barclaycard which defaulted over seven years ago and the outstanding amount was £411.

This is now disappeared from my Credit File and I have applied for a new card after been notified I had a 95% chance of been accepted for a new card.

Barclaycard have just advised they hold onto past information even thou my credit file is in very good standing, the Applications Manager advised if you have ever defaulted in the past should it be 20 years ago you will never get another credit card.

In a nutshell, ever default with a Barclays Credit Card you then get a lifetime ban !

Has anyone heard of this as it was news to me.

Regards
Brian

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Amex operate a similar policy.
  • Rovato1
    Rovato1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I wonder if there is a list of card companies that do this instead of wasting time applying. I was always under the impression if you had a clean credit file then it was alright, but have found out the hard away.
  • supersaver2
    supersaver2 Posts: 977 Forumite
    Options
    You can't really blame them and 7 years isn't that long ago. They are a business and they've lost money on you before so no wonder they refused you! I'm not sure I'd have had the cheek to apply, if you've a good score can't you apply elsewhere?
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    I defaulted with Barclaycard probably about 12 yrs ago now had no problem getting a new one 3 yrs ago.
  • vinny_vimto
    vinny_vimto Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2016 at 6:04PM
    Options
    I defaulted on a Barclaycard credit card a couple of thousand and HSBC credit card 10 years ago and I was able to get a Barclaycard platinum card with balance transfer 0% about 3 years ago so what you've been told is total guff.

HSBC they won't give me anything at all though so think they may ban for life
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Can you offer to pay the £411 you owe to see if that will allow them to issue you a new card
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Keeping electronic information about you indefinitely is probably incompatible with data protection legislation. I'm guessing Barclaycard are in breach this. However, the ICO, being a bunch of bumbling fools, will like as not be no use, though you could try reporting the matter to them to see what they say.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I defaulted on a Barclycard and was accepted for another card 6years later. Seems a bit hit and miss TBH
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    A friend of mine defaulted on Barclaycard about 20 years ago but for several years now has held Barclays current account and a Barclaycard.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Keeping electronic information about you indefinitely is probably incompatible with data protection legislation. I'm guessing Barclaycard are in breach this. However, the ICO, being a bunch of bumbling fools, will like as not be no use, though you could try reporting the matter to them to see what they say.

Perhaps you should read up on Principle 5. Here's a link for you.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure